Author Topic: Doc deserves coach of the year consideration  (Read 5607 times)

Re: Doc deserves coach of the year consideration
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Must be an early april fools thread. Hell no way doc wins the CoY. Pop or thibs should win, heck even mark jackson is doing a better job than doc.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Lol!!!! It is almost aprils fools day, good job, you almost got me.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 10:23:18 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Can't say I'm very surprised.

Same kind of casual fans who think AI/Rose was great because they shot more than anyone else.  Same casual fans who said Belichick is an overrated coach.  Same casual fans that wanted to trade Brady and keep Cassel. 

People like to complain, people like to blame, people like to overreact (SHAV SHOULD BE STARTING [[[LOL]]]). 

Pop should get it (hence why I said consideration not win), but acting like Doc has been horrible like I've seen a lot around here is pretty freaking embarrassing.  One or two people complain about Doc and say how bad he is, and then everyone and their mother is trying to look smart by complaining about him. 

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes. That's the first thing that went through my mind tonight after the Celtics lost by 19 to the overrated, jump-shot happy Knicks. That Doc should be named coach of the year.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Unfortunately, our record is not good enough for Doc to get any serious consideration, despite the injuries.  The guy is a great basketball coach, though, and I trust him to have this team ready headed into the playoffs.

TP to the OP.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Yes. That's the first thing that went through my mind tonight after the Celtics lost by 19 to the overrated, jump-shot happy Knicks. That Doc should be named coach of the year.

When a team shoots 80% from three point land with SEVEN different players shooting, there really isn't much you can do besides take a sledge hammer to their knees and hope you aren't in jail too long.

The Knicks are a boom or bust team with their three point shooting.  Sometimes you get unlucky and play against them when they are on fire. 

What an incredibly stupid post.

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't think Doc deserves COY, but I think he's done a good job, now and over the last five years.

He coached us to a championship. More important, the Celtics have consistently exceeded expectations in the playoffs,during the Big Three era. Even in 07-08 we were underdogs to the Lakers. No one expected us to make the finals in 09-10. We were one game away from the finals last year.

And while our core personnel has been fairly stable, we have had a lot of turnover on the bench, and a slew of injuries to every significant player on the team other than Pierce.

Even this year, we have lost three rotation guys and are still staying in the hunt.

When a team outperforms with the talent it has, I think some of the credit must go to the coach. And I think we've outperformed.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Going slightly above .500 with Injuries doesnot make u coty
DKC Suns

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Doc and DA need to reverse course on this. dog turd of a small ball basketball program

No he doesn't deserve even honorable mention. for this hopeless style basketball.

C+.     is all he merrits

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
Must be an early april fools thread. Hell no way doc wins the CoY. Pop or thibs should win, heck even mark jackson is doing a better job than doc.

agreed. is this a joke? the first half of the season and this month of march are not examples of good coaching. Doc is a good player's coach I guess, but when it comes to offensive strategy, his system is very poor.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34

agreed. is this a joke? the first half of the season and this month of march are not examples of good coaching. Doc is a good player's coach I guess, but when it comes to offensive strategy, his system is very poor.

This is joke/April's fools thread, right?

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:30 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Yes but have you considered that Doc is a bad coach QED?

He is a two time coach of the year for two different teams.
He is the single biggest draw that we have for this team for free agents.
Players love him.
Coaches respect him.

He is not a bad coach.  That's the same kind of idiotic complaining I've heard about Belichick being an overrated defensive coach.  I mean LOL come on.

Um,

First off, 1 time coach of the year, with the Orlando Magic, hugely because of Tracy Mcgrady's move to Orlando. It turned around their 2000 season.

Biggest draw we have is Rajon Rondo, its well documented that he has been a big part of the recruitment process of players by reaching out to them in the off season.

Players love him because he is a good people person great at managing characters and egos. Coaches love him because he is a good X's and O's kind of coach, and after time out plays.

Here's what I don't like about his coaching.

He doesn't manage rotations well.

He doesn't make in-game adjustments.

He doesn't ride the hot hand.

He is stubborn with his "small ball".

He doesn't like/trust playing his big men

He doesn't give new players minutes. Says they have to earn them, but how does that work if you don't give them the opportunity to earn them said minutes.

He thinks that his system is not flawed, and if the players execute it to perfection, that we will be successful at all times.
(at least thats what I'm getting when he is being interviewed)

I like a coach like Pop because he is not afraid to play new talent.
He is firm/hard as a head coach, but his players love him still. So I'm not buying the whole, "you have to be very likeable (like DOC) to be a good coach" theory. He is also good with his X's and O's. Great at managing players minutes. Makes adjustments, Rides the hot hand, convinces great players like Manu Ginobilli to come off the bench.

If you think about it, we have roughly the same talent as the personnel they have in the Spurs. But we are still in the bottom 7/8 in the weaker conference.

Thats the end of my rant.

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
No he does not. This team took way too long to get it together and frankly has been nothing short of a disaster this regular season. Let us see if they can give us hope for the future by having a strong Wichita St style post season ie knock out the two top seeds in their EC bracket and go to the NBA finals.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »

Offline JoT

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
After seeing what I saw throughout this season and even tonight (saw the game after recording)... yea no.
I had to borrow someone else's gif from the past for this.

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:28 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Yes but have you considered that Doc is a bad coach QED?

He is a two time coach of the year for two different teams.
He is the single biggest draw that we have for this team for free agents.
Players love him.
Coaches respect him.

He is not a bad coach.  That's the same kind of idiotic complaining I've heard about Belichick being an overrated defensive coach.  I mean LOL come on.

Um,

First off, 1 time coach of the year, with the Orlando Magic, hugely because of Tracy Mcgrady's move to Orlando. It turned around their 2000 season.

Biggest draw we have is Rajon Rondo, its well documented that he has been a big part of the recruitment process of players by reaching out to them in the off season.

Players love him because he is a good people person great at managing characters and egos. Coaches love him because he is a good X's and O's kind of coach, and after time out plays.

Here's what I don't like about his coaching.

He doesn't manage rotations well.

He doesn't make in-game adjustments.

He doesn't ride the hot hand.

He is stubborn with his "small ball".

He doesn't like/trust playing his big men

He doesn't give new players minutes. Says they have to earn them, but how does that work if you don't give them the opportunity to earn them said minutes.

He thinks that his system is not flawed, and if the players execute it to perfection, that we will be successful at all times.
(at least thats what I'm getting when he is being interviewed)

I like a coach like Pop because he is not afraid to play new talent.
He is firm/hard as a head coach, but his players love him still. So I'm not buying the whole, "you have to be very likeable (like DOC) to be a good coach" theory. He is also good with his X's and O's. Great at managing players minutes. Makes adjustments, Rides the hot hand, convinces great players like Manu Ginobilli to come off the bench.

If you think about it, we have roughly the same talent as the personnel they have in the Spurs. But we are still in the bottom 7/8 in the weaker conference.

Thats the end of my rant.

*stuffs a TP in your pocket*