Author Topic: Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?  (Read 9939 times)

Re: Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

I'm stunned by that comment.  Pretty much all I want to do these days is gush over the way our Captain has been playing since we lost our point guard.  As far as I'm concerned, he's been playing not just like an all star, but like a legit superstar.  He's the main reason that I have some hope for this team come playoff time.

I've been happy with Jeff Green's play, as well.

Great opinion. I just he is a shell of what he once was. The team needs to move on.

I agree Paul isn't the player he once was. But he's still one of the better small forwards in the game.

Eh...but that is not saying much. After LeBron and Durant, there is a major drop off of in talent in the SFs of the league.

That's a pretty meaningless comment. PP was never at the level of James or Durant, even in his prime. Are you somehow claiming that it doesn't matter whether you have PP or (for instance) Alonzo Gee because neither are as good as LeBron?

Did I say that? You said "he is still one of the best SFs in the game". I just said the talent after those 2 drops off at the position. Like after Dwight Howard, the talent at the center position drops off. The doesn't mean that Bynum (healthy) or Hibbert are on the same level as Robin Lopez.  The small forward, center, and shooting guard positions are top heavy elite wise.

So no... I am not claiming that Pierce (or Melo) are on the same level as Gee. You just spun my comment into that claim, because it gives you a better argument.

I still don't see what the point of your comment was. Obviously there's a drop off in talent from 2 transcendent players to everyone else in their position. LeBron and Durant could end up as 2 of the top 5-6 small forwards of all time, that doesn't take away from the value PP adds to the team. I also don't see the point in "moving on" from an above average player because he used to be better than he is now.

The point of it was to respond to your comment of Pierce being one on best SFs currently in the game. Yes, he is and that actually has more to do with the bevy of Gee's and the Singler's in this league now.  I never said he wasn't valuable, so I won't even argue that. If you read my previous comments, I am just stating that I am not loving PP like I am loving JG. Because, he always had that potential. And as far as "moving on", that's just life. He is getting older, not younger. That doesn't mean that he can't be a 3-5 option or a great bench player on a contending team, like Ray is right now.

You don't seem to dispute that he's still one of the best small forwards and he's still a top 15 scorer in the league. Obviously that doesn't translate to a 3-5 option or a bench player unless he's getting traded to OKC or Miami or possible 1-2 other teams.

I am not. He is one of the better SFs in the league. Point out to me where I said he wasn't. Just because I stated that there is dropoff after James and Durant does not equate to me saying he is mediocre or below average.

In the future, he will further decline and he can be option 3-5 and come off the bench. But let me emphasize future, not this season (obviously he is the best scoring option on this team).

Now, what are we arguing again?

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
All personal attacks need to end.  This is the last warning. 

I don't see a lot of personal attacks on this page. Am I missing something?

Wasn't related to your posts.

Then point out mine.

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Then point out mine.

My suggestion, go see if any posts were edited in this thread.

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White

Then point out mine.

My suggestion, go see if any posts were edited in this thread.

Okay thanks.

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

I'm stunned by that comment.  Pretty much all I want to do these days is gush over the way our Captain has been playing since we lost our point guard.  As far as I'm concerned, he's been playing not just like an all star, but like a legit superstar.  He's the main reason that I have some hope for this team come playoff time.

Great opinion. I just he is a shell of what he once was. The team needs to move on.

I agree Paul isn't the player he once was. But he's still one of the better small forwards in the game.

Eh...but that is not saying much. After LeBron and Durant, there is a major drop off of in talent in the SFs of the league.

That's a pretty meaningless comment. PP was never at the level of James or Durant, even in his prime. Are you somehow claiming that it doesn't matter whether you have PP or (for instance) Alonzo Gee because neither are as good as LeBron?

Did I say that? You said "he is still one of the best SFs in the game". I just said the talent after those 2 drops off at the position. Like after Dwight Howard, the talent at the center position drops off. The doesn't mean that Bynum (healthy) or Hibbert are on the same level as Robin Lopez.  The small forward, center, and shooting guard positions are top heavy elite wise.

So no... I am not claiming that Pierce (or Melo) are on the same level as Gee. You just spun my comment into that claim, because it gives you a better argument.

I still don't see what the point of your comment was. Obviously there's a drop off in talent from 2 transcendent players to everyone else in their position. LeBron and Durant could end up as 2 of the top 5-6 small forwards of all time, that doesn't take away from the value PP adds to the team. I also don't see the point in "moving on" from an above average player because he used to be better than he is now.

The point of it was to respond to your comment of Pierce being one on best SFs currently in the game. Yes, he is and that actually has more to do with the bevy of Gee's and the Singler's in this league now.  I never said he wasn't valuable, so I won't even argue that. If you read my previous comments, I am just stating that I am not loving PP like I am loving JG. Because, he always had that potential. And as far as "moving on", that's just life. He is getting older, not younger. That doesn't mean that he can't be a 3-5 option or a great bench player on a contending team, like Ray is right now.

You don't seem to dispute that he's still one of the best small forwards and he's still a top 15 scorer in the league. Obviously that doesn't translate to a 3-5 option or a bench player unless he's getting traded to OKC or Miami or possible 1-2 other teams.

I am not. He is one of the better SFs in the league. Point out to me where I said he wasn't. Just because I stated that there is dropoff after James and Durant does not equate to me saying he is mediocre or below average.

In the future, he will further decline and he can be option 3-5 and come off the bench. But let me emphasize future, not this season (obviously he is the best scoring option on this team).

I suppose how quickly Paul's skills will deteriorate and why we'd want to move on from him if he's still a useful player. I could see him slipping into a KG type of 30 min/game player or even spending time at the 2 in a Rondo/PP/Green/Sully/KG lineup. He's still a valuable player IMO.

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jeff and Paul have been playing great lately, especially the last three weeks.

Except, in that time the team has gone 4-8. A scintillating .333 winning percentage over three weeks time. That's a seventh of the season.

This team needs a healthy KG. This team needs a healthy Rondo. This team needs a healthy Lee. This team needs a healthy Sullinger. And this team needs Terry and Bass and Bradley to step up their overall games and be more consistent as a whole.

Jeff and Paul are doing great, however, it is probably all for naught as the two of them probably aren't enough to win a playoff game, never mind a playoff series. We need the whole team and this year, sadly, that isn't going to happen.

I would like to see what Rondo's haters are saying about this.  I'm guessing Jeff and Paul are making us worse huh 

Remember when Rondo was a beast in the begining of the season, when he was the only player on the team putting on good numbers and was on a great streak while everyone else was playing like **** and our record didn't show it?

Trade Paul and Jeff!!! 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

I suppose how quickly Paul's skills will deteriorate and why we'd want to move on from him if he's still a useful player. I could see him slipping into a KG type of 30 min/game player or even spending time at the 2 in a Rondo/PP/Green/Sully/KG lineup. He's still a valuable player IMO.

Heck yeah he is! Again, never said he wasn't. I already mentioned without PP, this team wouldn't even be making the playoffs. His play after Rondo went down was great and most importantly consistent (unlike Jeff's). Plus, he is playing with an injury right now (KG is unable to right now). He is a warrior no doubt. But, I already knew this. I followed his career. He has a lot to do with me being a Celtics fan. I am just loving JG's play right because I didn't think he could be even a quarter of what Pierce is and was.

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White

Except, in that time the team has gone 4-8. A scintillating .333 winning percentage over three weeks time. That's a seventh of the season.

This team needs a healthy KG. This team needs a healthy Rondo. This team needs a healthy Lee. This team needs a healthy Sullinger. And this team needs Terry and Bass and Bradley to step up their overall games and be more consistent as a whole.

Jeff and Paul are doing great, however, it is probably all for naught as the two of them probably aren't enough to win a playoff game, never mind a playoff series. We need the whole team and this year, sadly, that isn't going to happen.

I would like to see what Rondo's haters are saying about this.  I'm guessing Jeff and Paul are making us worse huh 

Remember when Rondo was a beast in the begining of the season, when he was the only player on the team putting on good numbers and was on a great streak while everyone else was playing like **** and our record didn't show it?

Trade Paul and Jeff!!!

I know right. Why the double standards.

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

Heck yeah he is! Again, never said he wasn't. I already mentioned without PP, this team wouldn't even be making the playoffs. His play after Rondo went down was great and most importantly consistent (unlike Jeff's). Plus, he is playing with an injury right now (KG is unable to right now). He is a warrior no doubt. But, I already knew this. I followed his career. He has a lot to do with me being a Celtics fan. I am just loving JG's play right because I didn't think he could be even a quarter of what Pierce is and was.

I think I get what you are saying;  you simply don't have room to be loving the play of more than one player at a time?

Fair enough.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Paul and Jeff finally seem genuinely excited to play with each other and want to see each other shine.

I felt like Pierce was trying to guard his position/territory when Jeff first arrived, and Jeff was happy taking the back seat and letting the future HOF'er show him how it's done. But PP seems like he finally let his guard down and wants Jeff to excel and take the torch . ..or at least share the torch alongside him.

It's a good development, but I still can't tell if we're going to do anything in the playoffs this year. Cautiously optimistic for a good series or two.

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

I think I get what you are saying;  you simply don't have room to be loving the play of more than one player at a time?

Fair enough.

Not really...what I am saying is: I am more impressed with Jeff because I doubted him. Paul is playing good right now, but he is really isn't impacting the team no more. I don't think Jeff will ever be an impact player, but it is good to see him play consistently.

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Trade Paul and Jeff!!!

unfortunately, no because all this is time sensitive.

i maintain, and have maintained, an outlook that KG is the player that we need. with him being injured and out, we have suffered greatly. that's what I attribute to those losses. That doesn't change the fact that Jeff, a guy who was taking stinkers on the court at the beginning of the year, has finally blossomed. I also like the fact that he's playing well alongside our future HOFer and I just thought I'd say something.

Also...without Rondo, we are STILL above .500, at 18-12. If KG comes back before the playoffs, I really expect these horrible losses to change.

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?
Not loving the losing. The rest is pretty much immaterial.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?
Not loving the losing. The rest is pretty much immaterial.

This is the succinct, precisely correct way of putting it, in my opinion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes