Author Topic: Truehoop Article on Fouling In The NBA (and how it relates to Rondo)  (Read 6941 times)

Re: Truehoop Article on Fouling In The NBA (and how it relates to Rondo)
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Funny, I liked the Knicks way of playing ball in the 90's. And I wish we had a team in the NBA now with big thugs to put the Heat on the floor with hard fouls.

Funny. My comment on LeBron's dunk on Terry was something along the lines of "too bad some team can't bring John Starks out of retirement".

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Funny, I liked the Knicks way of playing ball in the 90's. And I wish we had a team in the NBA now with big thugs to put the Heat on the floor with hard fouls.

Funny. My comment on LeBron's dunk on Terry was something along the lines of "too bad some team can't bring John Starks out of retirement".

You might have liked how the Knicks played in the 90's, but the League Office hates it. Their revenues went down because of the Knicks and they're gonna change the rules all they can to prevent the league from reverting to "yucky-play"
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't know, I think Abbott makes a good point: Fouls that are not attempting to make a basketball play are boring. Hard fouls in the flow of trying to make a basketball play are fine. If you are beat, and the only way to prevent a layup/dunk is to foul with no potential of making a defensive play without fouling, then that player earned the two points, so a flagrant (2 shots plus ball) is fine. If you're beat, you're beat, and that's the fun stuff to watch.

This would have no effect on fouls while trying to swipe for a steal, trying to draw a charge, trying to challenge with a block, etc.

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Somewhat unrelated, but my least favorite part of the nba is the "breakaway foul". I cringe every time I see one. The penalty is fairly onerous, I can't stand stopping the game for instant replay, and at least half of the calls that I see are when the defender is closer to the basket than the offensive player but commit the infraction because it's a much safer play to foul someone going past you than getting directly in their path (like the LeBron foul).

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Somewhat unrelated, but my least favorite part of the nba is the "breakaway foul". I cringe every time I see one. The penalty is fairly onerous, I can't stand stopping the game for instant replay, and at least half of the calls that I see are when the defender is closer to the basket than the offensive player but commit the infraction because it's a much safer play to foul someone going past you than getting directly in their path (like the LeBron foul).

What rule WOULD you propose to change this?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

What rule WOULD you propose to change this?

I wouldn't complain if they junked the rule but I'd say that if you're closer to the basket than them before you foul them it isn't a breakaway. If you're standing still and someone's running at you full speed and you want to foul them it's much safer to stay out of their path and grab at them as they run by you than to get into their path to insure that you're closer to the basket when the foul occurs. The problem with fouling them as they run past you is that they may have passed you by the time the ref determines that the foul occurred. That's just plain stupid.

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This would have no effect on fouls while trying to swipe for a steal, trying to draw a charge, trying to challenge with a block, etc.
They already have rules for this, he's proposing stronger penalties.

Which would entail penalizing players for attempting to make blocks, let alone post play....