Author Topic: Hawks (40-32) at Celtics (37-34) 3/29  (Read 30830 times)

Hawks (40-32) at Celtics (37-34) 3/29
« on: March 28, 2013, 09:19:35 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11843
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   

Atlanta Hawks (40-32) at  Boston Celtics (37-34)
Friday, March 29, 2013
7:30 PM ET
Game #72 Home Game #36
TV:  CSNNE,  SPSO,  NBA-LP 753(ATL)/754(BOS)
Radio:  WEEI,  WCNN
TD Garden 

Probable Starting Matchups

Point Guard
  vs 
Avery Bradley vs Jeff Teague 

Shooting Guard
vs 
Paul Pierce  vs  Kyle Korver

Small Forward 
  vs 
Jeff Green vs Anthony Tolliver 

Power Forward 
  vs 
Brandon Bass vs Josh Smith

Center
  vs 
Chris Wilcox  vs  Al Horford

Celtics Reserves
Jason Terry
Jordan Crawford
DJ White
Terrence Williams
Shavlik Randolph

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back) out
Kevin Garnett (ankle/foot)  out
Courtney Lee (ankle) game time decision

Red Claws

Fab Melo

Hawks Reserves
Dahntay Jones
John Jenkins
Mike Scott
Shelvin Mack
Ivan Johnson
Johan Petro
DeShawn Stevenson

Injuries
Lou Williams (knee) out 
Zaza Pachulia (achilles) out
Devin Harris (foot) questionable

Key Matchups
  vs 
Brandon Bass vs Josh Smith
Smith is a very athletic and quick power forward and  Brandon must box out and keep Smith off the boards along with slowing him down on offense.    Smith is averaging 17.4 points and 8.5 rebounds per game so Bass will need to be aggressive on defense to keep Smith from having a big game. 

vs 
Chris Wilcox  vs  Al Horford
Al Horford is playing well and is averagin 17.6 points and 10.3 rebounds per game. Wilcox will have his hands full keeping him away from the basket.   Horford is strong and is always a threat around the basket.  Celtics bigs must box out to keep Horford from grabbing rebounds. 

Honorable Mention
Avery Bradley vs Jeff Teague
 Jeff Teague  is capable of putting up big numbers.  Bradley's defense will be key, not just to contain Teague, but also to slow their offense down and keep them from getting into their sets until late in the shot clock.   

Game Notes

Boston hosts Atlanta for the second time in the fourth-and-final showdown between these two teams.   The teams split two games at Philips Arena this year, with Boston winning 89-81 after coming back from a 19-point deficit.   The Hawks evened things up with a 123-111 double-overtime win  at home,  coming back from 27 down for the victory.  The Celtics not only lost the game, but lost Rondo for the season in that game as well.   The Celtics took game three, a 107-102 home decision, in overtime on March 8.   It seems that overcoming big deficits (or losing big leads) and overtimes are recurring themes in the games between these two clubs.

The Celtics have won their last three home games against the Hawks, with Atlanta’s last win in Boston coming on 1/11/10.   Boston leads the all-time series 220-133  with a 118-34 record at home.   Both teams come into this game off a win and both are looking to put together a 2 game win streak. 

The Celtics have played well at home for the most part this season with a 24-11 record at the Garden.  The Hawks are playing .500 on the road with a 19-19 record.   The Celtics are just 3-7 in their last 10 games, avoiding a 6th straight loss when Jeff Green hit the game winner against the Cavs on Wednesday.  The Hawks are 6-4 in their last 10. 

The Celtics remain in the 7th spot in the East and have a 2.0 game cushion over the Bucks, who are in 8th.  The Hawks are 2.5 games  ahead of the Celtics in the 6th spot and just percentage points behind the Bulls, who are in the 5th spot.  Every game from here on out could have playoff implications. 

Doc said on Thursday that he has no idea who he's going to start in this game.  I've listed the starters from the last game, who are listed in the game notes, but we could very likely see a different lineup as Doc plays mad scientist with the lineups in the absence of Kevin Garnett trying to find one that works.  It would be nice to get Courtney Lee back, at least, but he's still listed as a game time decision.   One thing is certain, whoever plays, has to play with energy on both ends of the court for the Celtics to win. 

Keys to the Game

Defense -  Defense is key to every win.  The Celtics need to play tough team defense.  They have to guard the perimeter as the Hawks have good 3 point shooters like Korver and Teague who can kill a team from beyond the arc.    They also have to defend the paint because players like Smith, Horford and Johnson can get to the hoop and score there, especially on tip ins and second chance baskets. 

Rebound - The Celtics must make an effort to go after rebounds.  They must box out and prevent tip ins and to prevent the Hawks from getting second chance baskets.  The Hawks are a good rebounding team, but not great.  The Celtics have moved up to 29th in the league and the Hawks are just 24th.  If the Celtics put out effort on the boards as a team, they should be able to win the battle of the boards. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to go after rebounds and loose balls.  They must be aggressive in going to the basket and not settle for jumpers.  They also have to be aggressive on defense and get stops. When the Celtics are the more aggressive team, they get the benefit of the calls and they also are tough to beat.   They must play with energy and play like they want it more.

Ball Movement
- The Celtics have made up for the loss of Rajon Rondo by moving the ball and advancing the ball with the pass.  Hero ball rarely wins games.  They need to continue to move the ball and play unselfishly and find the open man.  But, in moving the ball, they also have to make careful passes and not turn the ball over.   Over their recent losing streak they have been very sloppy with their passes and they have turned the ball over way too much. 

X-Factor
Home Court and Final Stretch
The Celtics are at home and they have played well there.   They need to get a boost from the home crowd.   They know they are entering the final stretch.   It is important for the Celtics to get into a rhythm and go into the playoffs playing well.  That needs to start here. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:28:56 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Hawks (40-32) at Celtics (37-34) 3/29
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
TP FL!

Let's see if Bradley can D up Teague after getting owned in the last 0v0 clash. He can't fail again, can he? And I do not want another close game with the Hawks, we've had enough already! Go Celtics and let's win every game for the rest of the season!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP for the first comment.  Hopefully Avery finds his shot again.  I'm hoping that Courtney Lee will be back too. 

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:48 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
TP FL!

Let's see if Bradley can D up Teague after getting owned in the last 0v0 clash. He can't fail again, can he? And I do not want another close game with the Hawks, we've had enough already! Go Celtics and let's win every game for the rest of the season!

TBH, I don't even remember the game but are you sure it was AB on him or was it Lee? I keep feeling like people put AB on people but it rarely is right... much like the 40 Kyrie carved up RR for. Like I said I don't remember, could you please let me know? I'm sure you are correct b/c he hasn't shut down everyone he's played. I mean no one can shut down everybody, you're gonna have off nights but I don't remember one guy "owning" him... b/c my definition of owning isn't 25pts, b/c Curry put up 25 on AB and EVERYONE knows AB put the clamps on him that game.

Matter of fact, I HOPE he served AB up last game, all the more reason for AB to show him that more often than not he is going to effectively contain his man, no matter who they are! Get your revenge ABeast! Let Teague know that you are what the stats and everyone says you are... one of the best ever and probably the best on-ball defender in the league today!

Like AB said, NO ONE is getting 40 on him unless they take 40 shots!

Oh, I also don't compare AB to his man on offense b/c he's been HORRIBLE on offense, so any guy he covers most games will/have probably outscored him and it isn't their defense! Heck, with the defense people choose to play on AB he's mostly always wide open so it most certainly has little to do with them. I can't wait (hope) his offense comes around this season (I don't doubt it won't in the future... I think he will be fine in time).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I wanna stay at the 6/7th seed.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I hope we don't go with Pierce on Korver.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Al Horford (illness) is doubtful to play on Friday against the Celtics.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Al Horford (illness) is doubtful to play on Friday against the Celtics.
Big boost to the C's chances with our lack of size without KG.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I wanna stay at the 6/7th seed.

Me too, but I want the Bulls to stay at 4/5.  So a win is still useful.

Horford out would be very big, he's killed us recently, and with KG out there'd be no one to slow him down.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Looking forward to tonight's game, especially because I'll be getting a chance to step on the court to film someone as they attempt a half court shot for $25,000.  If you're attending the game tonight look for me during the break between the 1st & 2nd quarter when he'll attempt the shot.  I'll be the dashingly attractive guy with a video camera.  Or maybe just a guy with a camera...either way, if you're watching the game on TV they'll probably be showing the shot attempt at the end of the halftime show.  GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Chris Forsberg ‏@ESPNForsberg 21m
C's say Courtney Lee went through shootaround today. Still a game-time decision vs Hawks, but an encouraging sign for his return.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 03:11:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
TP FL!

TBH, I don't even remember the game but are you sure it was AB on him or was it Lee? I keep feeling like people put AB on people but it rarely is right... much like the 40 Kyrie carved up RR for. Like I said I don't remember, could you please let me know? I'm sure you are correct b/c he hasn't shut down everyone he's played. I mean no one can shut down everybody, you're gonna have off nights but I don't remember one guy "owning" him... b/c my definition of owning isn't 25pts, b/c Curry put up 25 on AB and EVERYONE knows AB put the clamps on him that game.

Matter of fact, I HOPE he served AB up last game, all the more reason for AB to show him that more often than not he is going to effectively contain his man, no matter who they are! Get your revenge ABeast! Let Teague know that you are what the stats and everyone says you are... one of the best ever and probably the best on-ball defender in the league today!

Like AB said, NO ONE is getting 40 on him unless they take 40 shots!

Oh, I also don't compare AB to his man on offense b/c he's been HORRIBLE on offense, so any guy he covers most games will/have probably outscored him and it isn't their defense! Heck, with the defense people choose to play on AB he's mostly always wide open so it most certainly has little to do with them. I can't wait (hope) his offense comes around this season (I don't doubt it won't in the future... I think he will be fine in time).

I'm sure it was Bradley. I watched the game and was in the chat... Bradley got owned that game. Sorry to say it, but just stating the facts. I hope he plays with a purpose tonight!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The game may hinge on the Teague vs AB matchup.  Teague hates KG and the Celtics, he plays his best ball everytime they meet.

Need for DOC to step up and play guys who want to play hard......quit with the SAFE /buddy ball and play the guys who are ready to pull it on the line.

This is the Jeff Green show right now .

If would help if JET would make a shot or two.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Courtney Lee (ankle) will make his return Friday but will come off the bench.

Sean grande

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Courtney Lee (ankle) will make his return Friday but will come off the bench.

Sean grande

Thanks! Try to make this a blowout, so he doesn't play much ;)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]