Author Topic: Would you rather have Rondo or Sullinger back right now?  (Read 22578 times)

Re: Would you rather have Rondo or Sullinger back right now?
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Agreed. We're now 8 pages into this thread, and I'm still waiting for someone on the other side of this argument to support even one claim with a useful fact, or pay attention to any of the facts that have been presented to them.

I'm still waiting for this too.

you mean like how we're 17-11 without Rondo and were 20-23 with him?

And the records with and without Sully are? Considering he went down one game after Rondo, I am sure they are pretty similar right? It's not like the team couldn't make up for his contributions. They continued to win without him, right?

Still waiting on a useful fact from someone on the other side.

hold on i just realized what you said
we found someone to make up for sully's contributions...sure...not up to that standard but close.
but we also found someone to not only make up for Rondo's contributions, but I can argue that those someones did it BETTER...why?

17-11 vs 20-23

Just out of curiosity, did you notice anything in the first 2-3 months of the season that contributed to our 20-23 record besides Rondo's play?

yea
i saw Rondo only passing to KG and PP.
I saw BB bricking lots of makeable shots.
I saw Rondo letting the defense set up.
I also saw him driving to the lane only to pass on a wide open layup.
I saw Doc using JET as the exact replacement to Ray Allen.
I saw LB get no minutes, even when after the first game, he scored like...12 straight to get us within 4 or sumn against the Heatles.
I saw lots of things. But mainly my disdain was with Rondo. He often looked off a cutting Jeff. Forced things with KG and PP. Made fancy passes to Bass who couldn't catch them. He and Wilcox were magic though.

So forgive if my thinking then contributes to my thinking now.

First of all what you were seeing wasn't necessarily what was happening. Green was taking more shots per minute playing with Rondo than he has been without Rondo and Rondo was getting assists on about the same percentage of Green's baskets as Pierce's. It's also not really the case that Rondo drives the lane and passes up wide open layups. There's generally a big from the other team near the rim when that happens, but he doesn't contest Rondo's shot because Rondo passes the ball.

But beyond that I'd say that you missed some major causes of our 20-23 start. One thing was stretches of poor play from some of our better offensive players. Pierce and Jet both started out the year playing pretty well and slumped in Dec/Jan. Green's play wasn't very good until it started improving in January. But the biggest reason that the team was losing games earlier in the season was our defense. The new guys were learning the system and missed a lot of rotations. The bigs aside from KG were playing poorly so whenever he left the game the defense was terrible.

It's fine that your thinking then contributes to your thinking now, I just don't think that your thinking then was very accurate.

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
you guys get really upset when someone disagrees with you lol

sheesh

And you don't? All of your posts above suggest otherwise.

i haven't called anyone stupid etc etc
i'm standing by my point
idc if you agree or disagree, just don't try to act like i'm an imbecile for thinking against what you believe. and if you bring up a point, i have the right to tell you, again, why i stand by what I said.

« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2013, 12:10:36 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Agreed. We're now 8 pages into this thread, and I'm still waiting for someone on the other side of this argument to support even one claim with a useful fact, or pay attention to any of the facts that have been presented to them.

And the records with and without Sully are? Considering he went down one game after Rondo, I am sure they are pretty similar right? It's not like the team couldn't make up for his contributions. They continued to win without him, right?

we found someone to make up for sully's contributions...sure...not up to that standard but close.
but we also found someone to not only make up for Rondo's contributions, but I can argue that those someones did it BETTER...why?

17-11 vs 20-23

Just out of curiosity, did you notice anything in the first 2-3 months of the season that contributed to our 20-23 record besides Rondo's play?

yea
I saw LB get no minutes, even when after the first game, he scored like...12 straight to get us within 4 or sumn against the Heatles.
I saw lots of things. But mainly my disdain was with Rondo. He often looked off a cutting Jeff. Forced things with KG and PP. Made fancy passes to Bass who couldn't catch them. He and Wilcox were magic though.

First of all what you were seeing wasn't necessarily what was happening. Green was taking more shots per minute playing with Rondo than he has been without Rondo and Rondo was getting assists on about the same percentage of Green's baskets as Pierce's. It's also not really the case that Rondo drives the lane and passes up wide open layups. There's generally a big from the other team near the rim when that happens, but he doesn't contest Rondo's shot because Rondo passes the ball.

But beyond that I'd say that you missed some major causes of our 20-23 start. One thing was stretches of poor play from some of our better offensive players. Pierce and Jet both started out the year playing pretty well and slumped in Dec/Jan. Green's play wasn't very good until it started improving in January. But the biggest reason that the team was losing games earlier in the season was our defense. The new guys were learning the system and missed a lot of rotations. The bigs aside from KG were playing poorly so whenever he left the game the defense was terrible.

It's fine that your thinking then contributes to your thinking now, I just don't think that your thinking then was very accurate.

well, you asked me what i noticed and that's it. there's stats every to show whether i'm right or whether you're right. that's just how stats go...i guess around here they do.

i'm also not dismissing the slumps of everyone else, etc etc. I get that but I'm not making excuses. I said before, whatever the reason was, before we weren't getting the job done. and i find it hard to believe that all of those reasons was for one or the other. I think it's a healthy combo from both.

for example (and this is all more opinion), I felt like I saw Rondo forcing it to PP throughout his slump. And there's a difference between forcing it and making the shots. Forcing it means at this point he had taken a good amount of shots and maybe hit 1 or 2. Now, if Paul hits these shots, sure we win! That darned slump!!!

But also, if Rondo used his decision making skills, felt like it was more important to win, then why not involve someone else on offense? I mean I've seen Jeff Green just sitting under the basket only for Rondo to pass it to PP to through up a contested jumper. I've seen Rondo look off a JET wide open to through it to KG who was knocking with a bigger guy and had to throw up a prayer fadeaway. I've SEEN that.

So that's my thinking. There are ways to overcome the cards we we're dealt. I think Rondo played his cards poorly.

« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Everyone who said sullinger should pretty much be banned for such absurdity  ::)

Rondo lovers really need to get a grip. Just because people don't put rondo on this high pedestal that some of you think he should be on does NOT mean you have to be so nasty just because someone disagrees with you.

Some people on here didn't like the way this team played when rondo was controlling the offense. That is completely understandable.

Some people think him coming back could mess with chemistry, hard to argue how that might indeed be a possibility and even has a realistic chance of happening.

Its also hard to argue that this teams biggest problem right now is not having enough quality bigs who can rebound and keep people out the paint.

So, even tho you may disagree *And that's fine* acting like people that pick sullinger are morons is completely uncalled for and not even remotely true.

Wanting to go into the playoffs with Sully instead of Rondo is similar to wanting to play with Green instead of Garnett or Bradley over Pierce. The Celts can go into a playoff series with Rondo and there's a decent chance he'll be the best or second best player in the series. Are you claiming that you can say the same about Sully, or that having such players aren't overly necessary to win in the postseason?

I disagree with everything in bold. Rondo is no where near as important to this team as pierce or KG. Also, what I'm saying is, I have yet to see THIS TEAM play well when rondo was the one controlling the offense.

By this team I mean this year. What I'm saying is, I could see rondo coming back and the chemistry this team built go straight in the toilet. What I'm claiming is this teams biggest need is having another BIG next to KG that can rebound and keep people out the paint.

Id rather have another good big next to KG than to have rondo come back If I had to pick between the two. If you disagree, whatever. That's my stance.

Rondo scored or assisted a higher percentage of his team's points in the playoffs last year than any other player in the league. Claiming that he's nowhere near as important to the team as KG and PP is silly. And it's great that you have to qualify your comments about Rondo with "THIS TEAM" due to your small sample size, as if his entire career (including the time he spent last year playing with the other four starters we have) is somehow irrelevant. But in this case I'd say that it still falls short.

If you look at our offense up to late Nov (around the time Rondo's assist streak ended) we were a top 10 offense, 6th in eFG% and 3rd in TS%. So THIS TEAM playing well with Rondo controlling the offense clearly occurred, you just weren't paying attention when it did.

« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2013, 12:47:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

17-11 vs 20-23

yea

well, you asked me what i noticed and that's it. there's stats every to show whether i'm right or whether you're right. that's just how stats go...i guess around here they do.

i'm also not dismissing the slumps of everyone else, etc etc. I get that but I'm not making excuses. I said before, whatever the reason was, before we weren't getting the job done. and i find it hard to believe that all of those reasons was for one or the other. I think it's a healthy combo from both.

for example (and this is all more opinion), I felt like I saw Rondo forcing it to PP throughout his slump. And there's a difference between forcing it and making the shots. Forcing it means at this point he had taken a good amount of shots and maybe hit 1 or 2. Now, if Paul hits these shots, sure we win! That darned slump!!!

But also, if Rondo used his decision making skills, felt like it was more important to win, then why not involve someone else on offense? I mean I've seen Jeff Green just sitting under the basket only for Rondo to pass it to PP to through up a contested jumper. I've seen Rondo look off a JET wide open to through it to KG who was knocking with a bigger guy and had to throw up a prayer fadeaway. I've SEEN that.

So that's my thinking. There are ways to overcome the cards we we're dealt. I think Rondo played his cards poorly.

I wouldn't be surprised if you've SEEN Rondo look off a JET wide open to through it to KG who was knocking with a bigger guy or Green just sitting under the basket only for Rondo to pass it to PP to through up a contested jumper. With the number of decisions Rondo makes during the course of a game you're bound to find mistakes, you could do the same with any other player in the league. But it's worth pointing out that you're criticizing Rondo for passing to PP when Paul was in a slump and also criticizing him for not passing it more to Terry and Green, who were also in slumps. I'd also say that players like PP and KG have had enough games where they shot poorly for a while and then got hot that you can't really say that to stop having them shoot is a good idea.

« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Everyone who said sullinger should pretty much be banned for such absurdity  ::)

Rondo lovers really need to get a grip. Just because people don't put rondo on this high pedestal that some of you think he should be on does NOT mean you have to be so nasty just because someone disagrees with you.

Some people on here didn't like the way this team played when rondo was controlling the offense. That is completely understandable.

Some people think him coming back could mess with chemistry, hard to argue how that might indeed be a possibility and even has a realistic chance of happening.

Its also hard to argue that this teams biggest problem right now is not having enough quality bigs who can rebound and keep people out the paint.

So, even tho you may disagree *And that's fine* acting like people that pick sullinger are morons is completely uncalled for and not even remotely true.

Wanting to go into the playoffs with Sully instead of Rondo is similar to wanting to play with Green instead of Garnett or Bradley over Pierce. The Celts can go into a playoff series with Rondo and there's a decent chance he'll be the best or second best player in the series. Are you claiming that you can say the same about Sully, or that having such players aren't overly necessary to win in the postseason?

I disagree with everything in bold. Rondo is no where near as important to this team as pierce or KG. Also, what I'm saying is, I have yet to see THIS TEAM play well when rondo was the one controlling the offense.

By this team I mean this year. What I'm saying is, I could see rondo coming back and the chemistry this team built go straight in the toilet. What I'm claiming is this teams biggest need is having another BIG next to KG that can rebound and keep people out the paint.

Id rather have another good big next to KG than to have rondo come back If I had to pick between the two. If you disagree, whatever. That's my stance.

Totally agree
Yes Rondo may be the best/second play in the series
but to win a game needs an overall effort
Rondo came back in the playoff may be a advantage though because he is so good in the playoff
but if you can only choose one i will choose Sullinger

« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:16 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I would probably chose Rondo over Sullinger.

Eitherway JGreen game/development would be impacted.  If Rondo comes back, JGreen will get snubbed and won't get many touches,  if Sullinger comes back JGreen will lose minutes.

Green is key.  Even more so than Sully and Rondo.  But Rondo is very important as well

« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2013, 11:22:02 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Rondo scored or assisted a higher percentage of his team's points in the playoffs last year than any other player in the league. Claiming that he's nowhere near as important to the team as KG and PP is silly. And it's great that you have to qualify your comments about Rondo with "THIS TEAM" due to your small sample size, as if his entire career (including the time he spent last year playing with the other four starters we have) is somehow irrelevant. But in this case I'd say that it still falls short.

If you look at our offense up to late Nov (around the time Rondo's assist streak ended) we were a top 10 offense, 6th in eFG% and 3rd in TS%. So THIS TEAM playing well with Rondo controlling the offense clearly occurred, you just weren't paying attention when it did.

Lol if you're trying to tell me that this team was playing well this year with rondo then I have nothing else left to say to you. They might have had some games here and there where they looked ok but overall, no.

I've never seen a team play well and lose so much and look like crap while doing it. Oh, but I just wasn't paying attention lol. ::) I think you're the one not paying attention.

I've already explained why you can't compare previous years to this year. It doesn't matter how pretty rondos stats look if the team is losing and playing bad.

I watched the games, and I'm 100 percent sure when I say that this team looked ALOT better AFTER rondo went down. Even the 6 game winning streak with rondo didn't look that good compared to the one we had without him. 

You can't play or win a game on a stat sheet. Almost every argument you have NONE of them involve you actually watching the games. Just reading off stats, which explains alot. This current team not only showed no signs of missing rondo, they started WINNING and looking better after he went down. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Eitherway JGreen game/development would be impacted.  If Rondo comes back, JGreen will get snubbed and won't get many touches,  if Sullinger comes back JGreen will lose minutes.

Green is key.  Even more so than Sully and Rondo.  But Rondo is very important as well

Green was never "snubbed" by Rondo. He took more shots per minute playing with Rondo than he does playing without Rondo. People saw Green having some big games after Rondo went out and it didn't occur to them that it might be due to his getting healthier or his getting more minutes with Sully out. Naturally they attributed his play to Rondo's absence.

« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Lol if you're trying to tell me that this team was playing well this year with rondo then I have nothing else left to say to you. They might have had some games here and there where they looked ok but overall, no.

I've never seen a team play well and lose so much and look like crap while doing it. Oh, but I just wasn't paying attention lol. ::) I think you're the one not paying attention.

You're right that the team was losing (feel free to congratulate yourself with a few more lols) but you don't seem to have much of an idea of why we were losing or how it relates to Rondo. The main problem with the team was our defense early in the year, *not* the Rondo controlled offense. Plenty of new players trying to learn the system, plenty of missed rotations, plenty of disastrous shifts with KG on the bench.

It took a while for the defense to come together. At the end of Nov we were 22nd in defense, at the end of Dec 18th, 9th at the end of Jan and 5th now. Clearly the team has improved over the course of the year, clearly that improvement started well before Rondo left. Couple that with a few key offensive players slumping due to injury (or, in your mind, because of Rondo), and it's easy to see why we were playing poorly. So, yes, when you try and blame our early season woes on Rondo I'm fairly certain that you weren't paying attention to what was going on with the team.

I've already explained why you can't compare previous years to this year. It doesn't matter how pretty rondos stats look if the team is losing and playing bad.

You've explained why you want to base all of your judgements on a small sample size this year when you're perfectly aware that looking at Rondo's career in Boston will show your claims to be ridiculous. I'm not buying your silly claim that the team that entered the 2012 playoffs with *the same 5 starters we had this year* is hugely different than this year's team because it's nonsense.

In fact if you look at last year you'll see a team that was struggling early in the season (mainly because PP and KG were out of shape/injured) and started playing well while Rondo was out with an injury. When Rondo came back and his teammates weren't playing like crap they became one of the best teams in the league and he led them to within a game of the finals. Sound familiar? The only difference between then and now is Rondo came back last year.

You can't play or win a game on a stat sheet. Almost every argument you have NONE of them involve you actually watching the games. Just reading off stats, which explains alot. This current team not only showed no signs of missing rondo, they started WINNING and looking better after he went down. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

I watch the games, well enough to know what you're saying is wrong. Stats are a way of pointing that out. For instance, when someone claims that we took most of our shots with 3 seconds left on the shot clock with Rondo playing I could ether respond with "no sir" or "most teams take a higher percentage of their shots with 3 seconds left on the shot clock than the Celts, and we take the same percentage of late shots now than we did when Rondo was playing". Which response is more persuasive?

Your answer, cleverly enough, is neither, because just claiming you're wrong proves nothing and someone citing statistics to show that your observations are demonstrably false is a sign the person who disagrees with you doesn't watch the games. Score one for willful ignorance.

By the way, from watching the games I agree with you that the team looks better since Rondo went down. I just don't agree with your claim that Rondo not playing is why we improved. Therefore I don't think that Rondo coming back and playing like a star in Lee's spot would be somehow harmful to this team.

In fact I'm pretty confident that if you took that early season top 10 offense led by Rondo and combined it with the late season defense you'd have the title contender that I expected to see this year. You, on the other hand, will watch the team's (likely) demise in the playoffs and feel confident that our early season struggles prove that the team wouldn't have been better if Rondo came back. I mean it's not like the team hasn't struggled for long stretches during the season and gone on (Rondo led) deep playoffs runs twice in the last 3 years or anything.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:27:55 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I watched the games, and I'm 100 percent sure when I say that this team looked ALOT better AFTER rondo went down. Even the 6 game winning streak with rondo didn't look that good compared to the one we had without him. 

If you've explained why you can't compare previous years to this year, you haven't done a very good job of it.  I don't see why that's the case.  What is it that makes you think that the 38 games you saw him play in this season are a more accurate representation of "the true" Rondo than the more than 500 games he's played as a Celtic prior to this season?

Even if I agreed with everything the detractors had to say about Rondo's play this season--which I don't--the argument that we can't use Rondo's past performance as evidence for what type of player he is is nonsense.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Green was never "snubbed" by Rondo. He took more shots per minute playing with Rondo than he does playing without Rondo. People saw Green having some big games after Rondo went out and it didn't occur to them that it might be due to his getting healthier or his getting more minutes with Sully out. Naturally they attributed his play to Rondo's absence.

where are you getting this stat from?

« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

nba.com. Green averages 12.5 shots per36. He averages 12.9 playing with Rondo, 12.1 playing without Rondo.

If you look at Green's splits somewhere, his fg% was .421 in Nov, .414 in Dec, .485 in Jan, .512 in Feb and .472 in Mar. His 3fg% was .292 in Nov, .324 in Dec, .345 in Jan, .414 in Feb and .429 in Mar. The fact that his shooting started to turn around in Jan (while Rondo was playing) and he's benefited from steadier (and more) minutes since Sully went out, along with the fact that he took more shots per minute when Rondo was playing kind of punch a hole in the "Rondo was the cause of Green's struggles" claim.

« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
An interesting idea, but pretty simple to solve.

Talent wins championships.
Stars win championships.

Rondo has Sullinger beat in both.  The Heat have a terrible front court in the traditional sense and they're still dominating. 

We need star power that can carry us for games.  Rondo can win a game or two vs the Heat by himself.  Sullinger can not.

« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

nba.com. Green averages 12.5 shots per36. He averages 12.9 playing with Rondo, 12.1 playing without Rondo.

If you look at Green's splits somewhere, his fg% was .421 in Nov, .414 in Dec, .485 in Jan, .512 in Feb and .472 in Mar. His 3fg% was .292 in Nov, .324 in Dec, .345 in Jan, .414 in Feb and .429 in Mar. The fact that his shooting started to turn around in Jan (while Rondo was playing) and he's benefited from steadier (and more) minutes since Sully went out, along with the fact that he took more shots per minute when Rondo was playing kind of punch a hole in the "Rondo was the cause of Green's struggles" claim.

yea but we aren't looking at the types of shots Green was getting and how he was utilized...I'm not sure .8 makes that much of a difference...i know for a fact JG never got over 15 shots (as he's been getting a lot lately).

Anywho...I think the types of shots matter. I think the confidence of his teammates/the chemistry matters. I don't think it punches a hole...I guess it's in how you analyze the data. I felt like in January, Jeff made a turn around thanks to his slump wearing off as well as him being used differently (which I don't NECESSARILY blame on Rondo).

Also...I also want to point out that Jeff was usually like third or so off the bench. He played ALOT with JET, who actually fed him the ball. So I don't think we can just look at that...we got to look at lineups, too.