Poll

Which player do you choose?

Andrew Wiggins
53 (69.7%)
Jabrari Parker
23 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Who do you pick...Andrew Wiggins or Jabrari Parker?  (Read 33846 times)

Re: Who do you pick...Andrew Wiggins or Jabrari Parker?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 03:50:54 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I disagree. Wiggins has potential higher than anyone but Parkers game is the most complete already. He can shoot,  get to the hole and pass like a point guard. In fact I'd say his ceiling is more of a Paul Pierce or Carmelo. 

Yeah, and then you hear him in an interview, and think he´s rather stupid and naive...and phony. Dwight Howard level.

And you see pictures of him during the summer, and wonder where all the fat came from. He really doesn´t appear to have the drive or the grip on reality you´d want in your "franchise player". He´s still young, though, so that could change.

Pierce came back a changed man after the stabbing. We can´t expect anything similar with Parker...and Pierce played college basketball and was a better player when he entered the league. I´d say his athleticism was also a lot better.

At this point, it´s all conjecture and guesswork, anyway, but I see Adam Morrison 2.0. I might take a flyer on that at the end of the lottery, not at the top of the so-called "draft of the decade".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:57:54 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:16 AM »

fitzhickey

Wiggins definitely

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 05:02:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Its like we're talking about 2 different people.  Hes not fat, he's built like Pierce. Almost identically.  Can jump very well and can shoot the lights out.
Watch some videos of him shooting; particularly shot creation of the dribble like Melo or Pierce.
Adam Morrison is an insult. I don't know where you're getting the attitude stuff from coz he's mormon and a straight A student lol.

Out of the entire lottery his game translates to the NBA better than anybody. He has length, shooting ability of a 5 year NBA veteran with an incredible combination of court IQ and anticipation and instincts.
He can finish in contact and he can defend very well-I'm not sure where you got the defensive problems stuff either.

If he came into the NBA tomorrow he'd be starting on a playoff team.
One of the biggest talents in the last 10 years.
Probably the closet thing to Pierce in the last 15 years.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Give me Julius "bulldozer" Randle all day!

If you get the number 1 pick, you gotta go Wiggins
 He's gonna be a once in a generation type player.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 07:03:57 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I can't see how you don't go with Wiggins.

Because his overall game is stronger.
He can lose weight and improve.
To me, Wiggins can't shoot well enough and his form is too hard to change to make him a great shooter. Parker can shoot from anywhere and also get to the rim and finish at the rim.

To me, Parker is like Pierce or Carmelo (more Pierce).
Wiggins is like McGrady or Carter.
Just personal preference.

To be clear: I don't know anything about either, but the language used here sounds a LOT like the Carmelo vs Lebron stuff. Melo is NBA ready, can score at an elite level, better shot; Lebron is just athletic, bad shot form, etc.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
If you've got a couple hours to kill, the entire Nike Hoops Summit is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrJ3kWJVz0

Much more informative than the various highlight reels. Schroeder is really impressive, as is Randle--though I don't know that he'll be able to bully players at the same level in the NBA.
thanks for the vid, very helpful

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Dante Exum.

He'd may be available around picks 7-10
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
http://m.basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228961/andrew-wiggins-hopes-to-play-for-raptors
Given that he may be the only superstar that actually wants to play for the raps I kind of hope they get the first pick.

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I would absolutely pick Wiggins. Jabari Parker wouldn't even be the 2nd option. I like Randle more than Parker.

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
http://m.basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228961/andrew-wiggins-hopes-to-play-for-raptors
Given that he may be the only superstar that actually wants to play for the raps I kind of hope they get the first pick.
he wants to represent canada, the same way d rose wanted to rep his hometown chicago

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
People are crazy saying Parker won't even be a first option. He has an nba game/body right now. Let alone is going to play for the best coach in the game. Don't get me wrong I think Wiggins is the better guy but won't be crying if we end up with Parker.

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 12:14:50 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Before Parker and Wiggins faced off in the all-star games, I was squarely on the side of Wiggins because of his greater athleticism but after seeing them face off, I think it might be a wash.  For one, I definitely underestimated Parker's athleticism.  A good indicator of his athleticism is that he has very good build up speed and his excellent handle lets him maximize it.  When he gets a rebound and brings the ball up the court, he is far more dangerous than I thought.  He has that freight train capacity. 

Another thing, Parker is just so skilled.  For him, it's all about becoming a more accurate shooter and toning up his body but everything is already there.  The footwork, the shooting mechanics, the post game, the in-between shots, the three-point range, the court vision.  He has a Carmelo like body and skill set with what looks to be a better team mindset.

Wiggins has much further to go.  He looked like a twig up against Parker but that's fine for his age.  I'd guess his frame might like Paul George's eventually.  He gets harried after five or more dribbles; he's going to have to work on that to become more of a featured player.  His shooting mechanics aren't odd like Marion's or Martin's but it's abbreviated and hoppy.  He can get his shot off in a half-sized phone booth but I don't know if that's optimal. 

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 01:01:44 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

I disagree. Wiggins has potential higher than anyone but Parkers game is the most complete already. He can shoot,  get to the hole and pass like a point guard. In fact I'd say his ceiling is more of a Paul Pierce or Carmelo. 

Yeah, and then you hear him in an interview, and think he´s rather stupid and naive...and phony. Dwight Howard level.

And you see pictures of him during the summer, and wonder where all the fat came from. He really doesn´t appear to have the drive or the grip on reality you´d want in your "franchise player". He´s still young, though, so that could change.

At this point, it´s all conjecture and guesswork, anyway, but I see Adam Morrison 2.0. I might take a flyer on that at the end of the lottery, not at the top of the so-called "draft of the decade".

Show me an interview that gives the notion that he is stupid/naive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbmA3Qle8Y

"He's polite, a serious young man who is not big on the media...gets along well with his teammates...not always acting like a big-shot around them..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paMLeeKzPL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTdaZpAHMg

Strong competitor that plays hard on both ends of the floor. Rarely fails to "show up" for games ... Moves around the court well with or without the ball ... Good overall shot-selection ... Hard worker, who appears to respect the game ...High-character player and a member of the LDS church ...

That is not the issue with Jabari. With him, you know that he will bring that mentality to the floor. The "It" factor. Everything suggests so. And he has the talent to back it up.

Also - and I'm not advocating anything, but the fact that he's religious means that he has a strong will and has good moral values. He's a dedicated person. That's always a plus because it is contagious to the entire team.

The only question marks for him are physical attributes, which can be easily polished.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 01:03:27 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Most people seem to think Wiggins is the pick, but, lets see what happens when they play some college ball.

Not saying college should or shouldn't affect draft stock, but it does.

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:27 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Wiggin's stroke is sort of like Dell Curry's in the sense that he has very little arm swing to get the ball into a shooting position.  Ray Allen has an arm swing down to his hip, almost every player brings the ball down and then up into position.  Wiggins dips the ball down to his neck and then right up into position.  That's not really what's so different, it's that he also jumps two feet in the air while doing so.  Dell Curry and another short arm stroke shooter like Ginobili had set shots.

Try keeping the ball high and then shooting while jumping fairly high.  It's not easy.