Author Topic: Do the Celtics still matter in Boston?  (Read 5915 times)

Re: Do the Celtics still matter in Boston?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
The Celtics will ALWAYS matter in Boston.  The Celtics are the 4th most valuable franchise in the NBA, partly because of their strong ratings.  They just signed the second largest TV deal in the NBA, behind the Lakers because of their tv pull.  Yes, maybe the Bruins have better TV ratings THIS season but the Celtics killed them in previous years, even when they were a struggling team. 

It has been pointed out that Boston media has no one that can talk basketball well, and I agree.  That's why I never listen to sports radio or watch Boston sports television outside of Celtics games.  It's not because I don't want to engage in these media, but there is no where to turn to. I think what is being talked about on radio is a reflection of what the hosts want to talk about, not Boston sports fans.

Just think about how vibrant this community is.  We've all been driven here because there is no other outlet.

I don’t agree. Host talk about what drives ratings. It is a business, after all.  Bruins talk, for some ungodly reason, drives ratings right now.  How many Boston sports personalities honestly understand hockey? Very few.

I don't know how many Boston sports personalities understand hockey.  I don't understand it myself.  I can only speak from personal experience, but among Celtics fans I know, no one listens to sports talk radio.  I would never even make the attempt to listen.  It's been that way as long as I can remember.  Maybe the Celtics fan in this town has been trained not to turn to sports radio after so many years.

Don't forget, the B's never got any love on EEI. Once 98.5 came around they NEEDED the B's to drive ratings for them.  They are going to push their own product, and the B's are there product.

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
I work and live in Boston and its clear the Celtics are the least popular sports team here. I use to work at a sports apparel store in the Back Bay Area and the only people that bought Celtics apparel were tourists.

Work at a sports and apparel store in Roxbury and what do you think you will sell more of? 

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I work and live in Boston and its clear the Celtics are the least popular sports team here. I use to work at a sports apparel store in the Back Bay Area and the only people that bought Celtics apparel were tourists.

Work at a sports and apparel store in Roxbury and what do you think you will sell more of?

Roxbury, Dorchester, JP, or whatever. Doesn't matter the neighborhood. It will be Redsox/Pats 1 and 2. Then Bruins and Celtics.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford

Roxbury, Dorchester, JP, or whatever. Doesn't matter the neighborhood. It will be Redsox/Pats 1 and 2. Then Bruins and Celtics.

I beg to differ. Agree to disagree i suppose

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
I can say with the utmost certainty that in many areas of Boston, especially 20-30 something males, Celtics are no. 1.

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm Canadian and have to say basketball is much better than hockey.

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I live in the western part of state and the celtics have been my number one sports team since the seventies.  Don't care about ratings, don't care about Boston
JUST BELIEVE IN ME

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In Boston, unless you're the Red Sox, if you aren't a contender, you don't really matter.

The Celtics don't matter any more.*  But I don't think they've really mattered since the end of the 2011 season when LeBron finally beat them.  They had a short revival during the Eastern Conference Finals last year, but I think the general feeling even then was that it was sort of a second wind for a team that was supposed to be done already.

This year was supposed to be a bit of a victory lap with an outside chance of competing deep into the playoffs again, but once Rondo was lost for the season, the Celtics became just a "moral victory" type of team -- anytime they pick up a good win, it's a nice story, and that's all.

*This all is from the perspective of the general Boston sports media / sports fans.  Obviously anybody who bothers to post on this site feels otherwise.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The Celts don't exactly help their cause when they play the way they did in New Orleans and tonight in Dallas.

I think I'd rather watch 90 year olds play bingo.

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
it's just not as easy as it once was for Boston to get the talent It could in the Bird an Russell eras....

it's gonna take some incredible talent recruiting  by someone, to get the calibre players it takes to make the C's legitimate contenders once again

without being able to buy talent,   then. luck becomes a major factor in success .

Boston will always have the history to lean and point to

will present  GM.  be good enough to draw the talent and recruit?

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I do see a few homeless people around Boston still reppin' the Celtics hardcore though. There's this one homeless guy(I think) that hangs around the Galleria that wears a faded out Celtics hoodie and green Under-Armor sneakers that goes inside the Apple Store and watch Larry Bird videos on Youtube on their computers all the time. Hardcore Boston fan right there.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Well, send em' to Virginia, then.

We'd LOOOOVVEE them here..

I hear ya.......we have Bobcats which an't say n. much...........trade Bobcats for Celtics anyday

Boston Celtics is huge world wide.......fan base,  , probably LA is only more followed

Celtics need some star power to replace KG an d Pierce when they leave......means having the best GM to get the job done.