Author Topic: March Madness: Good and bad performances. Draft stock effect  (Read 10544 times)

March Madness: Good and bad performances. Draft stock effect
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The bad

- Burke : team won but went 2 for 10

- Otto Porter: 5-17 and team got upset

- Anthony Bennett: Early first round exit but managed to end with a decent 15 points 11 rebounds

The Good

- Mcdermott

- CJ Leslie

- Allen Crabbe

- Macadoo

- Plumlee

Anyone else can add to either list??

Fortunately for guys like Burke , he still has a chance to redeem himself. But Otto Porter who was 3-5 in alot of mock draft sites might have left the door open for others to climb over him now. 

Re: March Madness: Good and bad performances. Draft stock effect
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Ben McLamore doesn't look like a number one pick

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:51:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bad: Marcus Smart.  Looked lost and was aggressive but in an uncontrolled way.  Entire team was out of focus.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Smart is still young and it would be wiser for him to stay another year and develop better fg percentage. But i think i read somewhere that he is coming out for this years draft (prob bc of money and its considered weak).

Some had him the #1 pick. Some had him #2. With the early exit , i don't think he will be chosen so high. This is going to be a wild draft with no clear cut #1

projected top picks

Mclamore - mediocre game today though team won. shot 2-5 for a guy who is suppose to be considered #1 pick.

Marcus Smart - Team eliminated. 5-13 is not great shooting stats. But 9 rbs and 4 assists are nice stats.low fg percentage is a big concern

Noel - ACL injury or else would of prob gone #1

Otto porter - team eliminated, shot 5-17

Alex Len - team won but shot 2-7 and 3 reb

Oliadipo - Team won but only scored 10 points. Had trouble creating his shot today

Shabazz Muhammad - UCLA upset , shot 6-18 which is horrible

Bennett - Team upset, but had a decent game with 15 pts and 11 reb

Cauley Stein - 9 pts, 4 reb, kentucky early eliminated. Should stay in college another year.

The guys who have fallen under the radar

Cody Zeller - Excellent performance, scoring 20 and grabbing 10 rebounds approx

Miles Plumlee - Same as above.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - team didn't even make 1st round of MM. But last game scored 32 pts, 13 rebounds for a 6-5 guard.

Glen Robinson 3 and Tim Hardaway Jr. - Both had great games yesterday. Something like 20 points each for Michigan

All i can say is, 2013 draft is looking like its going to be a wild unpredictable draft. Glen Robinson could go as late as 20 and as high as 5.  Maybe if Len keeps putting up mediocre stats, he somehow drops all the way to the celts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:48:59 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
gimme next season with wiggans and parker

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Add Otto Porter to the bad. While he did do a ton of everything, his lacked of strength was exposed against that surprisingly athletic and strong FGCU squad. He's not looking like a top 5 pick to me after that game, but he's still top 10.

Mike Muscala looks like he can get pushed around in the NBA. He's a 2nd rounder to me compare to a mid to late first as projected before.

Everyone in Kentucky's draft stock dropped.

Shabazz had a very bad showing, but I'd still take him #1 since Noel is down. The upside is just too high to pass. But with the bad performance, I won't be surprised if he drops.

As for the good, Anthony Bennett, even after a loss, is a top 5 pick. Jamaal Franklin looks like a top 10 pick to me. Can do it all.

Romero Osby is an NBA player and should be worth taking a look at. 

Doug McDermott is still an enigma to me, but I didn't see something to drop him of draft stocks yesterday.

Vander Blue, if he comes out, is a NBA player. Love his confidence and heart and it showed in that epic comeback against Davidson. He looks like he's also athletic enough to battle against NBA guards.

Jeff Whitey, WE SHOULD DRAFT THIS KID.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Kelly Olynk looked pretty bad for the Zags. Don't know his total stat line but as Gonzaga was staring at an upset, he couldn't even stop the bleeding.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ainge claims that NCAA tournament performances have little effect on draft stock for GMs, more-so for the fans.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226844/Ainge-Celtics-Put-Little-Stock-In-NCAA-Tournament

"Danny Ainge said the Boston Celtics give little credence to how players perform in the NCAA tournament.

“What the public knows and what the NBA people know is a lot different,” Ainge said. “We don’t put a whole lot on a bad performance or a great performance. We try to analyze why they played well. Was it a great matchup or were they double-teaming a guy to take him out?

“I remember Mark Price slipped in the draft after a game against Georgetown. They really did a number on him. He had a terrible game, and he slipped a little bit, but I think generally speaking there’s not a lot of stock put into what they do in the NCAA tournament.”

He should know, but I have to admit that it is a perspective that surprises me a little.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Kelly Olynk looked pretty bad for the Zags. Don't know his total stat line but as Gonzaga was staring at an upset, he couldn't even stop the bleeding.

I disagree.

He made key plays down the 10-6 minute stretch in the second half. He wss very goodnin the pick and roll and scored a few down low to keep Southern at bay. Granted he was nit thenkey, but he did his part.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I disagree.

He made key plays down the 10-6 minute stretch in the second half. He wss very goodnin the pick and roll and scored a few down low to keep Southern at bay. Granted he was nit thenkey, but he did his part.

Turnovers, bad defense, stagnated the offense. Thought he looked pretty bad.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Shabazz had a very bad showing, but I'd still take him #1 since Noel is down. The upside is just too high to pass. But with the bad performance, I won't be surprised if he drops.

Did you know he's lied about his age? Actually 19.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Trey Burke has really impressed me today.  His performance in the first half against VCU was fantastic, as he scored, distributed, and overall ran Michigan's offense really well.  I've been down on him this year so far, but his play has me thinking the Wolverines could make some serious noise this March.

Tim Hardaway Jr. played excellent as well.  I've said before that a future backcourt of Rondo, Bradley, and THJ could be one of the best trios in the league in a couple years.  Hardaway Jr. can play either guard position, shoot from the outside, and can attack the rim.  I would be ecstatic if we drafted him.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ainge claims that NCAA tournament performances have little effect on draft stock for GMs, more-so for the fans.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226844/Ainge-Celtics-Put-Little-Stock-In-NCAA-Tournament

"Danny Ainge said the Boston Celtics give little credence to how players perform in the NCAA tournament.

“What the public knows and what the NBA people know is a lot different,” Ainge said. “We don’t put a whole lot on a bad performance or a great performance. We try to analyze why they played well. Was it a great matchup or were they double-teaming a guy to take him out?

“I remember Mark Price slipped in the draft after a game against Georgetown. They really did a number on him. He had a terrible game, and he slipped a little bit, but I think generally speaking there’s not a lot of stock put into what they do in the NCAA tournament.”

He should know, but I have to admit that it is a perspective that surprises me a little.

There is truth to what Danny is stating. But i don't agree with some of the things he points out relating to the not high stock in the MM performance like the Mark Price example.

The MM you can say is the kicker, in terms of where you get drafted. A good performance can climb you into the 1st round and into the lotto.

I'm no scout for but i think this is the way they analyze players

good regular season performance - shows consistency

good regular season performance vs top ranked schools - easier to gauge capabilities vs nba calibre player

good performance against man vs your position - shows iso ability in both offense and defense

good MM performance (at least get into Sweet 16/Elite 8 ) - Shows ability and excel in pressure situations

No doubt all factors are important but i'd take MM performance (as long as their team goes far) over regular season vs no name schools. There are always exceptions like the Mark Price's or Adam Morrison's but usually MM performers do better in the nba

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
ESPN did an analysis of NCAA performance vs regular-season performance, and players who played better in the tournament not only got drafted higher, but also had longer careers than players who didn't. I think it was in their recent analytics issue. Can't find the article online.

Low sample size though, but it looks like it flies right in the wind of what Danny's saying.