Author Topic: March Madness: Good and bad performances. Draft stock effect  (Read 10547 times)

Re: March Madness: Good and bad performances. Draft stock effect
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff Withey as usual had a very nice MM game. He had 7 blocks. But i'm not a big fan of his 6 rebounds. For a guy with his length, he should not easily pulling in 10 rebounds

As for centers, this kid Mitch Mcgary reminds me of perk. Just a bully inside much similiar to our Sully. Good rebounder and decent basketball feel and game. Motor and energy is always on level high. He is not coming out after this year i assume but a nice player to keep an eye out

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I watched Doug McDermott for the first time yesterday, and he intrigued me with his double double.   Seems to be projected to be drafted in the teens or 20s where the C's will be drafting. 

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I watched Doug McDermott for the first time yesterday, and he intrigued me with his double double.   Seems to be projected to be drafted in the teens or 20s where the C's will be drafting.

It helps when your dad is a basketball coach and you have high bbiq. His shooting is quick and accurate. Battles on the inside and scores and rebounds like he has no business doing so. The desire , motor is always on a high level. He has underrated footwork and quickness

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Shabazz had a very bad showing, but I'd still take him #1 since Noel is down. The upside is just too high to pass. But with the bad performance, I won't be surprised if he drops.

Did you know he's lied about his age? Actually 19.

Yes, I have read about it. But it's only a year difference, it's not that bad.

Even though they are out of the Tourney already, I'd take him over McLemore right now.

Kelly Olynk looked pretty bad for the Zags. Don't know his total stat line but as Gonzaga was staring at an upset, he couldn't even stop the bleeding.

I disagree.

He made key plays down the 10-6 minute stretch in the second half. He wss very goodnin the pick and roll and scored a few down low to keep Southern at bay. Granted he was nit thenkey, but he did his part.

Turnovers, bad defense, stagnated the offense. Thought he looked pretty bad.

His turnovers and bad defense indeed needs work, which is why he is not a top 5 pick. I didn't see him stunk up on offense though, he got in and played pick and roll to perfection. Got to the line a couple of times too in that 5-7 minute span.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Shabazz had a very bad showing, but I'd still take him #1 since Noel is down. The upside is just too high to pass. But with the bad performance, I won't be surprised if he drops.

Did you know he's lied about his age? Actually 19.

Yes, I have read about it. But it's only a year difference, it's not that bad.

Even though they are out of the Tourney already, I'd take him over McLemore right now.

I'm gonna start a new thread so as not to hijack this one, but I think its a bigger deal than just the year older regarding his draft stock.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
- olynyks gonzaga eliminated. He had a decent game at 26 pts , 9 rebounds etc.

I watched the game and the thing he kept doing for most of the game is pick and rolls. At the 2nd half Wichita State did an excellent job of guarding it and Olynyk was not as effective. He has some decent post moves, but rarely went to that route. Don't think he is really comfortable down at the block. Also decent on defense, but his lateral quickness is avg to below avg. He is going to suffer in the nba, unless he can bulk up to be able to guard nba centers.

Personally i don't think i would draft him. The avg defense is too much of a liability imo.

- The further michigan advances the better it will be for the celts.  Guys like Glen Robinson 3 and Trey Burke will keep climbing and others may drop then to us.  I like Robinson 3 but i think he will be gone from 10-14.  Tim Hardaway Jr. has a nice feel to the game thx to pops. Good pentration and outside game. Not extremely quick nor athletic but crafty and has nice size for a sg at 6'6. Is projected to go in the late 1st round but could be in demand by the 20's

- Michael Carter Williams def looks like the 2nd coming of Penny Hardaway. Penetration and hangtime finish around the basket is top notch. Excellent passer and due to his size at 6'6 i can see him play either the sg/pg. Smart , defensively capable, plays with passion and high iq. Only thing stopping him is his lack of consistent shot. Was projected to go 15-20. But maybe closer to 7-12. Just too talented even without a shot

- Mitch Mcgary is a beast. reminds me of perk. His picks are punishing on defenders. Very strong, runs good for his size and scored i don't know how many garbage buckets today. 

- Russ Smith from Louville is like a smaller Jordan Crawford. Extremely agressive and can go on hot streaks of scoring. Not a generous passer and at only 6'1 nobody knows what position he can play at the next level. Very good defender. Sounds like a guy danny could be interested in?

THE BAD

- CRABBE after a great first round game. Was horrific today against Syracuse. Just zero confidence out there and passed up shots left and right. I think scored only 4 points and went like 2 for 5

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not touch Kelly O with a ten foot pole.   He lacks athletic ability and plays below the rim. 

I think the Kansas kid is a lot better than Melo.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would not touch Kelly O with a ten foot pole.   He lacks athletic ability and plays below the rim. 

I think the Kansas kid is a lot better than Melo.

You mean Jeff Withey?

Had to look that up because I don't know as I don't follow, sorry.

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah , Withey.   He is a better defender and has more skills than Melo but is hardly an elite player.

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd take Olynyk if he falls to where we are.  He's at least a solid back up. 

He'll be better than Bass right away, I'll tell you that.

I like the idea of taking Withey, too.  Should be a solid defensive backup center.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd steal Elias Harris in the second round.

The kid is undersized at 6'8" but knows how to use his strong big frame down low. Can hit shots outside and tenacious on the glass.

He's a cheaper Bass.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
- Michael Carter Williams def looks like the 2nd coming of Penny Hardaway. Penetration and hangtime finish around the basket is top notch. Excellent passer and due to his size at 6'6 i can see him play either the sg/pg. Smart , defensively capable, plays with passion and high iq. Only thing stopping him is his lack of consistent shot. Was projected to go 15-20. But maybe closer to 7-12. Just too talented even without a shot

I've watched almost every Syracuse game this year, and MCW is still an enigma.  Penny is a major stretch, but he could eventually be an excellent player or fall apart in the more rigorous NBA game.  Either way I think he'll be a disaster next year until he figures out how to play consistently.  Too many boneheaded plays, and his athleticism gets just enough of them to work for him to keep trying.  The success rate of those poor decisions will go way down in the pros.

I am convinced that James Southerland is the second coming of James Posey, though.  Not worth our first but it'd be cool to see him wind up here one way or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fACRkZ6kXAA

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd steal Elias Harris in the second round.

The kid is undersized at 6'8" but knows how to use his strong big frame down low. Can hit shots outside and tenacious on the glass.

He's a cheaper Bass.

Nice to get a second round pick. Don't think that we have one.

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I've watched almost every Syracuse game this year, and MCW is still an enigma.  Penny is a major stretch, but he could eventually be an excellent player or fall apart in the more rigorous NBA game.  Either way I think he'll be a disaster next year until he figures out how to play consistently.  Too many boneheaded plays, and his athleticism gets just enough of them to work for him to keep trying.  The success rate of those poor decisions will go way down in the pros.

I am convinced that James Southerland is the second coming of James Posey, though.  Not worth our first but it'd be cool to see him wind up here one way or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fACRkZ6kXAA

He is a freshman.  So far these two games plus the last regular season game, he is looking like a lotto pick. The last game of the year he was def making mistakes in the 1st half. You shake your head and feel he should not even go in the lotto. Than in the 2nd half he shakes it off and plays with focus and syracuse wins.  I'd overlook his here and there silly mistakes bc he plays with passion. I think he will iron things out. Someone said if he also had a shot, he could of gone top 5 pick. The size is just too good for a pg

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If we draft 19 and its between withey or olynyk who would you choose?? Yes Olynyk can dribble better and has better scoring moves/touch, but Withey would own him on defense. Plus is underrated on offense actually, with a nice hook shot , dunks through alley hoops, jump shots and due to his lengths garbage tip ins.