Author Topic: Rondo for Horford?  (Read 4095 times)

Re: Rondo for Horford?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 01:36:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Atlanta could keep Smith without Rondo, they just don't want to pay him.  They might keep Smith, if they could get Rondo and keep Horford as then they would have a pretty nice little trio.

I still think a trade centered around Teague and Williams for Rondo makes a lot of sense

We don't need another 2 in Williams, unless we were just stockpiling assets.

Also, I would make them eat Bass' or Terry's contract, give us ZaZa and at least one first or Deven Harris' expiring.

I do like Teague, though.
when the trade could be made Atlanta would have basically Horford and Williams under contract and not much else available for trade.  Teague would have to come over in a sign and trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 03:34:19 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
no

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 06:58:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No brainer IMO.

Skilled big men are a LOT rarer in this league than skilled PG's.  We'd have a far better chance of picking up an all-star PG in a draft then we'd have of picking up an all-star big man.

We already have Bradley, Lee, Terry and Crawford in the backcourt which is a very solid guard rotation.  In the front court though we are paper thin.

If we made this change I see two scenario.  Near future I see Hortford and KG in the front court with Sully coming off the bench - that's an exceptional frontcourt.  Distant future I see Sully and Hortford in the front court with (whowever we have by that time) coming off the bench.

Hortford is a fairly young and very talented big man who can pass, defend, rebound and also score in a variety of ways.  He's a legit all-star calibre big man who is genuinely capable of playing the center position effectively (and spent plenty of time doing so in Atl).

Future lineup of AB, Lee, Green, Sully, Hortford?  Plus $25M in cap space to add more guys (KG / Pierce / Terry will be gone by then)? 

A lot of potential there...

Also I dont get why people are saying Hortford is not a good enough return for Rondo.  Hortford is an All-Star caibre big man in a world where All-Star calibre big men are rare and overvalued.  He plays on both ends of the floor, he's strong yet athletic, he's a good rebounder and passer and (unlike Rondo) he is not a borderline head case.

The Celtics will NEED a high quality frontcourt guy to take over once KG leaves, and neither Sully nor Melo is likely to be that guy - both are more likely to become very good support players at best.  They already have a young and talented backcourt for the future, so if you have a chance to pick up a young and talented big man you MUST take that deal. 

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 07:00:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If I was RR and I didn't get traded, I'd walk and make sure you got nothing after the shameful way this blog has treated him!

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:34 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
As much as people think rondo is overrated....horford isn't? He's solid..that's it....no real upside, no real hope for anything spectacular or dominant.....just solid.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No brainer IMO.

Skilled big men are a LOT rarer in this league than skilled PG's.  We'd have a far better chance of picking up an all-star PG in a draft then we'd have of picking up an all-star big man.

We already have Bradley, Lee, Terry and Crawford in the backcourt which is a very solid guard rotation.  In the front court though we are paper thin.

If we made this change I see two scenario.  Near future I see Hortford and KG in the front court with Sully coming off the bench - that's an exceptional frontcourt.  Distant future I see Sully and Hortford in the front court with (whowever we have by that time) coming off the bench.

Hortford is a fairly young and very talented big man who can pass, defend, rebound and also score in a variety of ways.  He's a legit all-star calibre big man who is genuinely capable of playing the center position effectively (and spent plenty of time doing so in Atl).

Future lineup of AB, Lee, Green, Sully, Hortford?  Plus $25M in cap space to add more guys (KG / Pierce / Terry will be gone by then)? 

A lot of potential there...

Also I dont get why people are saying Hortford is not a good enough return for Rondo.  Hortford is an All-Star caibre big man in a world where All-Star calibre big men are rare and overvalued.  He plays on both ends of the floor, he's strong yet athletic, he's a good rebounder and passer and (unlike Rondo) he is not a borderline head case.

The Celtics will NEED a high quality frontcourt guy to take over once KG leaves, and neither Sully nor Melo is likely to be that guy - both are more likely to become very good support players at best.  They already have a young and talented backcourt for the future, so if you have a chance to pick up a young and talented big man you MUST take that deal.

Co-sign. Excellent post.

This is one of the moves you could make to truly position this team for the future - assuming Atlanta would go along, which they won't because of the points above - as opposed to dumping our aging stars for players of questionable talent who can dunk.

Precisely what I've been advocating with a Rondo offload. Wish I thought it would happen.

TP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
It would be something I would definitely consider for the Celtics and I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks were interested as well. The Celtics get the big man they are desperately in need of moving forward, who has a great all around game (not a superstar though). The Hawks would get Rondo an upgrade over Teague, on a friendly deal and that just might be enough to get Smith to stay AND not for the max if he wants to play with Rondo. 

Think it would have to be a 3 team trade though because I don't see Horford being equal value for Rondo, but Horford and Teague would be too much.

By bringing in Rondo the Hawks could move Teague to a 3rd team in need of a PG (Utah maybe? idk) and split the return assets (assumably a decent big and a pick) between themselves and the Celtics.

The Celtics end up with Horford and a first. The Hawks get Rondo (bring back Smith) and move Teague for a lesser big to replace Horford.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Actually, I'd suspect we'd have to throw in a first with Rondo. I doubt the Hawks see Rondo as value for Horford - again given the long unspoken rule that a little for a big is not value.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Actually, I'd suspect we'd have to throw in a first with Rondo. I doubt the Hawks see Rondo as value for Horford - again given the long unspoken rule that a little for a big is not value.

i like horford than al jeff

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Atlanta could keep Smith without Rondo, they just don't want to pay him.  They might keep Smith, if they could get Rondo and keep Horford as then they would have a pretty nice little trio.

I still think a trade centered around Teague and Williams for Rondo makes a lot of sense

We don't need another 2 in Williams, unless we were just stockpiling assets.

Also, I would make them eat Bass' or Terry's contract, give us ZaZa and at least one first or Deven Harris' expiring.

I do like Teague, though.
when the trade could be made Atlanta would have basically Horford and Williams under contract and not much else available for trade.  Teague would have to come over in a sign and trade.

I feel like you have trouble ever coming up with a trade where we "win" the trade

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think the only was a trade built around rondo for horford happens is if atl think that smith and rondo gets them a fa d Howard.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet