Author Topic: 2013 Patriots Football  (Read 200027 times)

Re: 2013 Patriots Football
« Reply #645 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the Pats really need to find a way to get bigger and tougher on the defensive line. 

Kelly and Wilfork back will help make the Pats bigger, if they are back to former strength. Nevertheless, Wilfork isn't getting any younger, and I agree that the Pats should try to draft a Wilfork type replacement. Of course, it is much easier said than done. Just like it is much easier to say "surround Tom Brady with better weapons" than it is to do. :)

I recognize that having Wilfork and Kelly back will help, but I think it's kind of an organizational philosophy thing.

Bill seems to like going for "smart" picks.  Guys who are undervalued but are high character / high skill guys from lesser known programs.

That's nice and all, but I think what the team really needs is just to take some chances on some big bruising monsters.  What the Patriots lack on defense -- and when Gronk is out, on offense as well -- is an overpowering physical presence. 

Blount gave them a bit of that in the running game toward the end of the season, but from the Broncos game it's clear that there's a limit to how much you can really depend on that.

The best teams in the league all seem to have at least one guy who give them that on each side of the ball.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #646 on: January 22, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
when we were trying to get back in the game brady was putting a lot of his passes where they needed to be, in spots where his wr's should've been able to do more than just make the catch. sometimes brady's accuracy has been the issue but for the most part it's his wr's, they need to make the easy catches easy and do more than just catch it. what happen to YAC?
That's akin to saying that every pass inside the paint should be an alley-oop, because dunks.

Ultimately, you have to throw the ball where the receiver is. Not where you think they should be, where you want them to be, or where you think the best place for him is. Brady has been too good for too long not to realize that.

Anyway, I don't think I agree with your assessment at all. I've seen Brady underthrow, overthrow, and plain not see receivers that were wide open on their routes all year. It doesn't happen every play, but it has happened with un-Brady-like regularity. The AFC final game just happened to have several of these examples packed tightly in a nice little package.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #647 on: January 22, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think the Pats really need to find a way to get bigger and tougher on the defensive line. 

Kelly and Wilfork back will help make the Pats bigger, if they are back to former strength. Nevertheless, Wilfork isn't getting any younger, and I agree that the Pats should try to draft a Wilfork type replacement. Of course, it is much easier said than done. Just like it is much easier to say "surround Tom Brady with better weapons" than it is to do. :)

I recognize that having Wilfork and Kelly back will help, but I think it's kind of an organizational philosophy thing.

Bill seems to like going for "smart" picks.  Guys who are undervalued but are high character / high skill guys from lesser known programs.

That's nice and all, but I think what the team really needs is just to take some chances on some big bruising monsters.  What the Patriots lack on defense -- and when Gronk is out, on offense as well -- is an overpowering physical presence. 

Blount gave them a bit of that in the running game toward the end of the season, but from the Broncos game it's clear that there's a limit to how much you can really depend on that.

The best teams in the league all seem to have at least one guy who give them that on each side of the ball.

You remind me of something I've been meaning to comment on. One of the big head scrathers was how poorly the Pats run game did in the game vs the Broncos. If anything, might point to the need for bigger OL people?

I think recent BB picks on DE and LB have been really good, overall: Chandler Jones, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Collins.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #648 on: January 22, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
when we were trying to get back in the game brady was putting a lot of his passes where they needed to be, in spots where his wr's should've been able to do more than just make the catch. sometimes brady's accuracy has been the issue but for the most part it's his wr's, they need to make the easy catches easy and do more than just catch it. what happen to YAC?
That's akin to saying that every pass inside the paint should be an alley-oop, because dunks.

Ultimately, you have to throw the ball where the receiver is. Not where you think they should be, where you want them to be, or where you think the best place for him is. Brady has been too good for too long not to realize that.

Anyway, I don't think I agree with your assessment at all. I've seen Brady underthrow, overthrow, and plain not see receivers that were wide open on their routes all year. It doesn't happen every play, but it has happened with un-Brady-like regularity. The AFC final game just happened to have several of these examples packed tightly in a nice little package.

You throw to where the receiver is going to be.  Not where they are. 

That stuff is worked on behind the scenes in practice and the onus is for the QB and WR to be on the same page in regards to audibles/hot routes/reading coverage, etc....

This certainly wasn't Brady's best year from an accuracy standpoint.  He had a tendency to sail a lot of passes or just plain misfire.  However, I still think he managed to carry this team on his back in quite a few instances (possibly more than any other Brady season)

I chalk some of that up to aging, some to unfamilarity with his receiving corps, and lastly some of it to the speculated ligament damage in his hand.  This isn't prime Brady anymore but still one helluva QB and easily top 5 in the NFL.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #649 on: January 22, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

You remind me of something I've been meaning to comment on. One of the big head scrathers was how poorly the Pats run game did in the game vs the Broncos. If anything, might point to the need for bigger OL people?

I think recent BB picks on DE and LB have been really good, overall: Chandler Jones, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Collins.

I'd say line play in general was a major issue.  Getting dominated on interior OL and failing to pressure the QB up the middle.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #650 on: January 22, 2014, 01:25:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'd say line play in general was a major issue.  Getting dominated on interior OL and failing to pressure the QB up the middle.

The line was awful on Sunday.

« Reply #651 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

The line was awful on Sunday.

A big body (Wilfork) in the middle of the DL would have helped a bunch. Other than that, I thought Chandler and Ninkovich did relatively well. A better job by Wendell would have helped a bunch (though Solder and Mankins were bad at points).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #652 on: January 22, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

You throw to where the receiver is going to be.  Not where they are.

That stuff is worked on behind the scenes in practice and the onus is for the QB and WR to be on the same page in regards to audibles/hot routes/reading coverage, etc....

This certainly wasn't Brady's best year from an accuracy standpoint.  He had a tendency to sail a lot of passes or just plain misfire.  However, I still think he managed to carry this team on his back in quite a few instances (possibly more than any other Brady season)

I chalk some of that up to aging, some to unfamilarity with his receiving corps, and lastly some of it to the speculated ligament damage in his hand.  This isn't prime Brady anymore but still one helluva QB and easily top 5 in the NFL.
"Where the receiver is going to be" is still different from where you think he should be, where you want them to be, and where you think the best place for them is. For the purposes of what I'm saying, it's essentially the same thing.

I absolutely agree Brady carried this team on his back. I just disagree with the assessment that the receiving corpse didn't do enough.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #653 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758449/kraft-loading-up-strategy-not-for-me

Kraft was sympathetic to that opinion, considering the Patriots' last Super Bowl victory was nearly a decade ago, but his stance was clear. His Patriots team has reached at least the conference title game in nine of his 20 years as owner, so why change strategies now?

I get where Kraft is coming from, but I think this feeds into the criticism of him as an owner who is just content to see his team win the division, make the playoffs, and be fairly competitive.

Makes sense from a business standpoint, but it's irritating s a fan.  Just making the playoffs and maybe winning a playoff game every year, while great on its own, is not enough if that's all you get year after year.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:50:50 AM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #654 on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Yeah.  I have mixed feelings on this.  I've been waiting for them to go "all in" for the past few years.  And it was frustrating to see Brady throwing to a hodgepodge collection of weapons this season. 

Still, he's not wrong.  The Pats did have top tier talent that got hurt (or convicted of murder): Gronk, Hernandez, Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly, Vollmer, and even Vereen and Talib who missed significant time.  So he's not wrong in saying that we could go get Larry Fitzgerald, give up a ton of assets and money, and then watch him tear his ACL in the first game.

One could argue that if the Pats had simply only had half their misfortune (following their current plan), they would be in the Super Bowl tomorrow (say have Gronk, Wilfork, and Talib for the whole game). 

I also wouldn't sleep on the idea that the return of Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, and another year of development for the likes of Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Donte Hightower, Alfonzo Dennard, and Logan Ryan won't make this defense even better.  And that's not even to mention the strides I see Vereen and Aaron Dobson (and maybe even Josh Boyce) making next year. 

« Reply #655 on: February 04, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looks like the Larry Fitzgerald pipe dream might be over for Pats fans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10404094/larry-fitzgerald-restructures-deal-arizona-cardinals

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #656 on: February 05, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10404094/larry-fitzgerald-restructures-deal-arizona-cardinals

Nice job by Larry - Cardinals have to be pleased as well. I would have wanted him in New England, but only if the asking price from the Cardinals wasn't too high, and only if Larry did a very big restructuring of his contract. His cap hit for the Cardinals this year is $8.6M (down from $18M). The Pats might have been able to make that work, but just barely.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #657 on: February 05, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Nice job by Larry - Cardinals have to be pleased as well. I would have wanted him in New England, but only if the asking price from the Cardinals wasn't too high, and only if Larry did a very big restructuring of his contract. His cap hit for the Cardinals this year is $8.6M (down from $18M). The Pats might have been able to make that work, but just barely.

Pipe dream went out the window when the Cards went 10-6 this season.  If they went 6-10, they might've been singing a different tune.

« Reply #658 on: February 05, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Pipe dream went out the window when the Cards went 10-6 this season.  If they went 6-10, they might've been singing a different tune.

Yep. Good point.  Well, they'll probably go 6-10 this next year. But that's a year too late for us Pats fans!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #659 on: February 05, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think the real bummer about this season is that we never really got to see the evolution of the twin TE offense that, on paper, was going to be the big push for the Pats this year.

And, since one of them is probably never going to play in the NFL again and the other is Aaron Hernandez, we probably won't ever see it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.