Author Topic: 2013 Patriots Football  (Read 198888 times)

Re: 2013 Patriots Football
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pats resign Edelman as well (one year deal).

If they get Sanders:

Sanders
Donald Jones
Amendola
Edelman
Michael Jenkins
Hernandez
Gronk
Ballard

If this group can get/stay healthy, this is a better overall receiving core than 2012.

Health is the key thing.
I'll be honest, I don't see what the Pats see in Sanders and Jones.
I also don't understand why they are only making a one year deal for Sanders. If they really want him, why not multiple years? I'm guessing it has something to do with the expectation that there will be even less money in the NFL for FAs next year (ie: there will be even more teams at the cap), putting the Pats back in the driver seat again.
I think the logic behind the one year deal is that they are mitigating their risk by giving him a year to prove himself before signing him to a multiple year deal. We've seen in the past some fairly talented wideouts come in and not mesh with Brady or be able to pick up the system and a guy like Sanders who has the talent, but hasn't actually put together the best resume isn't someone they want to lock in on long term until they know he works out. They're leaving their options open to walk away and use that same money to go out and try to get a guy next year if this doesn't pan out.

Keep in mind they are giving up a 3rd rounder, which they could have used to sign a rookie WR in a fairly deep class (not sure things by any means, but talent throughout) who would come much much cheaper.

I do think the fact that there will still be quite a few teams out there tight on money comes into play both in terms of the Patriots thinking they can resign Sanders to good money on an extension as well as in terms of getting some better players whose market value will be lower simply because there isn't enough money to go around (like we saw with the CB market this year).

I haven't seen much of Jones (but he comes cheap) so I can't speculate on him, but Sanders definitely fits into the versatile player mold that Bill values so much.

The speculation I've seen is that the Pats gave him a one year deal to force Pittsburgh to make the tough decision of, "do we take a 3rd rounder now, or do we keep Sanders for one year and have him leave for nothing next year".  In other words, Sanders isn't worth a 3rd rounder if you're confining the analysis to next year alone.

The further speculation is that if Pittsburgh declines to match, the Pats will rework Sanders deal and sign him for multiple years.

I've heard that speculation as well, but by "rework" all that is meant is "give Sanders a longer contract". I think they still have to give him the $2.5M for year one. They can give him more if they want, or they can extend the years, but can't come down from that $2.5M in year one.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
We dodged a pretty big bullet with the news that Dennard won't serve any time DURING the season. It frees up a draft pick for something other than another CB, but knowing Bill, he will pick one anyway as the draft is supposedly deep with CBs and Safeties. Although, maybe that's why they are willing to give up a 3rd round pick for Sanders, because they know they have some depth now....

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Pats resign Edelman as well (one year deal).

If they get Sanders:

Sanders
Donald Jones
Amendola
Edelman
Michael Jenkins
Hernandez
Gronk
Ballard

If this group can get/stay healthy, this is a better overall receiving core than 2012.

Health is the key thing.
I'll be honest, I don't see what the Pats see in Sanders and Jones.
I also don't understand why they are only making a one year deal for Sanders. If they really want him, why not multiple years? I'm guessing it has something to do with the expectation that there will be even less money in the NFL for FAs next year (ie: there will be even more teams at the cap), putting the Pats back in the driver seat again.
I think the logic behind the one year deal is that they are mitigating their risk by giving him a year to prove himself before signing him to a multiple year deal. We've seen in the past some fairly talented wideouts come in and not mesh with Brady or be able to pick up the system and a guy like Sanders who has the talent, but hasn't actually put together the best resume isn't someone they want to lock in on long term until they know he works out. They're leaving their options open to walk away and use that same money to go out and try to get a guy next year if this doesn't pan out.

Keep in mind they are giving up a 3rd rounder, which they could have used to sign a rookie WR in a fairly deep class (not sure things by any means, but talent throughout) who would come much much cheaper.

I do think the fact that there will still be quite a few teams out there tight on money comes into play both in terms of the Patriots thinking they can resign Sanders to good money on an extension as well as in terms of getting some better players whose market value will be lower simply because there isn't enough money to go around (like we saw with the CB market this year).

I haven't seen much of Jones (but he comes cheap) so I can't speculate on him, but Sanders definitely fits into the versatile player mold that Bill values so much.

The speculation I've seen is that the Pats gave him a one year deal to force Pittsburgh to make the tough decision of, "do we take a 3rd rounder now, or do we keep Sanders for one year and have him leave for nothing next year".  In other words, Sanders isn't worth a 3rd rounder if you're confining the analysis to next year alone.

The further speculation is that if Pittsburgh declines to match, the Pats will rework Sanders deal and sign him for multiple years.

I've heard that speculation as well, but by "rework" all that is meant is "give Sanders a longer contract". I think they still have to give him the $2.5M for year one. They can give him more if they want, or they can extend the years, but can't come down from that $2.5M in year one.

By this same logic, wouldn't the Steelers also be able to subsequently rework his deal, or even just offer a 'better' contract up-front (instead of just simply matching)?

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looks like the Steelers matched.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2013, 06:49:43 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Can't say I'm too surprised. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Darn. A need to fill on draft day.   Abraham and Freney still available?

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

I'm not surprised, but slightly disappointed with where the Pats have left themselves. Some intriguing options have been taken off the market in the last few weeks. Guys like Darius Heyward-Bey, David Nelson, Ogletree, Simpson etc. are all locked up now and the picking are getting slim. If the Sanders offer sheet had been signed earlier there would have been more time to assess other options.

I definitely think another veteran WR needs to be added even if we take someone in the draft. I wonder if there is a chance that talks with Lloyd could rekindle given the need and his availability. Maybe he might be willing to take on a deal similar to what they were willing to restructure him to.

There are also some decent buy-low, but risky options out there like Titus Young (head case), Laurent Robinson (injury prone), Braylon Edwards (drop machine/head case), Ramses Barden (tall but can he catch?) and the enigma that is Randy Moss.

Very curious to see how this plays out.

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Darn. A need to fill on draft day.   Abraham and Freney still available?

Sign Lloyd and Abraham. Draft WR and CB in rounds 1 and 2. Take BPA in Rounds 3 and 7.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think the Pats will move back a lot and pick up a bunch of picks. I wouldn't be shocked if they select two wide receivers (probably in the 2nd and 4th). I wouldn't mind seeing Lloyd back but I doubt that happens.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Shoulder surgery for Hernandez:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4742186/report-shoulder-surgery-for-hernandez

Pats are already the walking wounded with all the surgery (Hernandez, Gronk, McCourty, Edelman, ....).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Looks like u guys already hit on this a bit, but this is an interesting take on the Emmanuel thing.....apparently the Steelers need him really really bad but have almost no cap room, so they'll have to make more cuts to keep him, and maybe only for a year

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/755/how-bill-belichick-screwed-the-steelers

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Shoulder surgery for Hernandez:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4742186/report-shoulder-surgery-for-hernandez

Pats are already the walking wounded with all the surgery (Hernandez, Gronk, McCourty, Edelman, ....).

Aaron Hernandez's shoulder operation has been termed as a "minor scope," and is not expected to affect his status for training camp.

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think the Pats will move back a lot and pick up a bunch of picks. I wouldn't be shocked if they select two wide receivers (probably in the 2nd and 4th). I wouldn't mind seeing Lloyd back but I doubt that happens.

I agree, one of the teams in the top ten in the second are going to come up to get back into the first.  This is one year I hope trader Bill does trade back.  There is a lot of second through fourth round depth. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
NFL Draft is fast approaching!

Predictions on what the Patriots do?

Here are mine:

(1) Trade out of the first into the early second round, picking up a future second round pick and a mid-round pick this year (4th or 5th round).

(2) Use the first second-round pick on Bidi Wreh Wilson, use the second second-round pick on a WR (everyone talks about Wheaton, but I suspect he'll be gone), use the third round pick on BPA at DL or OL, use the newly acquired mid-round pick on a pass-rushing DE.

(3) -- this is the most important prediction of the three -- I further predict that I am completely wrong about (1) and (2). BB will instead do something off the wall like use the first-rounder on a TE, the second-rounder on OL, and not address WR at all.

Anyway, just having fun and getting excited about the draft -- thoughts?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I would like to see them go for a WR in the first if they don't trade out of it
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.