Author Topic: 2013 Patriots Football  (Read 200028 times)

Re: 2013 Patriots Football
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pats sign DT Tommy Kelly
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741899/source-pats-agree-with-dl-kelly

This is a decent depth signing. I'd still like to see the Pats get a young D-lineman in the draft. Wilfork has been so durable, but an injury to him would drastically change the Pats D, and not for the better.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 05:11:02 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Pats sign DT Tommy Kelly
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741899/source-pats-agree-with-dl-kelly

This is a decent depth signing. I'd still like to see the Pats get a young D-lineman in the draft. Wilfork has been so durable, but an injury to him would drastically change the Pats D, and not for the better.
Does this mean that they've moved on from pursuing Abraham? Is he asking for too much?

Kelly is a solid pick-up. Bill seems really high on him, which means a lot to me. I like that, although he is mainly an inside rusher, he has the ability to line-up outside too and can move around depending on match-ups. If he can help keep Wilfork fresh and provide some versatility it'll work out well.

If we aren't going to bring in a vet D-end like Abraham or Freeney I hope Jake Bequette gets a chance to carve out a small roll. He seemed like a solid value pick in the last draft, but never made it on the field. With a year under his belt maybe he can provide a bit of depth behind Ninkovich and Jones.

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats make offer to RFA WR Sanders.
Apparently a one year deal, which I find sort of surprising. Steelers have 5 days to match, o/w they get the Pats third round pick this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741957/schefter-patriots-offer-wr-sanders
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats make offer to RFA WR Sanders.
Apparently a one year deal, which I find sort of surprising. Steelers have 5 days to match, o/w they get the Pats third round pick this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741957/schefter-patriots-offer-wr-sanders

No qualms with this move.  Health is my main concern with him but he's probably better than any WR they'd be able to get in the 3rd. 

My inclination is to say that the Steelers don't match but after losing Wallace, who knows?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats resign Edelman as well (one year deal).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

If they get Sanders:

Sanders
Donald Jones
Amendola
Edelman
Michael Jenkins
Hernandez
Gronk
Ballard

If this group can get/stay healthy, this is a better overall receiving core than 2012.

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

If they get Sanders:

Sanders
Donald Jones
Amendola
Edelman
Michael Jenkins
Hernandez
Gronk
Ballard

If this group can get/stay healthy, this is a better overall receiving core than 2012.

Health is the key thing.
I'll be honest, I don't see what the Pats see in Sanders and Jones.
I also don't understand why they are only making a one year deal for Sanders. If they really want him, why not multiple years? I'm guessing it has something to do with the expectation that there will be even less money in the NFL for FAs next year (ie: there will be even more teams at the cap), putting the Pats back in the driver seat again.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Regardless of what happens with Sanders, if the Pats can sign a pash rusher like Abraham for small money before the draft, then I think they are pretty much set, and can basically draft BPA (though I'd lean toward CB and WR as areas to target, all else equal).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Regardless of what happens with Sanders, if the Pats can sign a pash rusher like Abraham for small money before the draft, then I think they are pretty much set, and can basically draft BPA (though I'd lean toward CB and WR as areas to target, all else equal).

I agree, Abraham signing is would be good.  I was wondering if the Sanders signing will put their focus (at least rounds 1 and 2) on CB and OL. 

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney

I agree, Abraham signing is would be good.  I was wondering if the Sanders signing will put their focus (at least rounds 1 and 2) on CB and OL.

Dennard will be sentence tomorrow. Hope its only probation. If it goes bad, cb might be first in the draft

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

If they get Sanders:

Sanders
Donald Jones
Amendola
Edelman
Michael Jenkins
Hernandez
Gronk
Ballard

Health is the key thing.
I also don't understand why they are only making a one year deal for Sanders. If they really want him, why not multiple years? I'm guessing it has something to do with the expectation that there will be even less money in the NFL for FAs next year (ie: there will be even more teams at the cap), putting the Pats back in the driver seat again.
I think the logic behind the one year deal is that they are mitigating their risk by giving him a year to prove himself before signing him to a multiple year deal. We've seen in the past some fairly talented wideouts come in and not mesh with Brady or be able to pick up the system and a guy like Sanders who has the talent, but hasn't actually put together the best resume isn't someone they want to lock in on long term until they know he works out. They're leaving their options open to walk away and use that same money to go out and try to get a guy next year if this doesn't pan out.

Keep in mind they are giving up a 3rd rounder, which they could have used to sign a rookie WR in a fairly deep class (not sure things by any means, but talent throughout) who would come much much cheaper.

I do think the fact that there will still be quite a few teams out there tight on money comes into play both in terms of the Patriots thinking they can resign Sanders to good money on an extension as well as in terms of getting some better players whose market value will be lower simply because there isn't enough money to go around (like we saw with the CB market this year).

I haven't seen much of Jones (but he comes cheap) so I can't speculate on him, but Sanders definitely fits into the versatile player mold that Bill values so much.

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If they get Sanders:

Sanders
Donald Jones
Amendola
Edelman
Michael Jenkins
Hernandez
Gronk
Ballard

Health is the key thing.
I think the logic behind the one year deal is that they are mitigating their risk by giving him a year to prove himself before signing him to a multiple year deal. We've seen in the past some fairly talented wideouts come in and not mesh with Brady or be able to pick up the system and a guy like Sanders who has the talent, but hasn't actually put together the best resume isn't someone they want to lock in on long term until they know he works out. They're leaving their options open to walk away and use that same money to go out and try to get a guy next year if this doesn't pan out.

Keep in mind they are giving up a 3rd rounder, which they could have used to sign a rookie WR in a fairly deep class (not sure things by any means, but talent throughout) who would come much much cheaper.

I do think the fact that there will still be quite a few teams out there tight on money comes into play both in terms of the Patriots thinking they can resign Sanders to good money on an extension as well as in terms of getting some better players whose market value will be lower simply because there isn't enough money to go around (like we saw with the CB market this year).

I haven't seen much of Jones (but he comes cheap) so I can't speculate on him, but Sanders definitely fits into the versatile player mold that Bill values so much.

The speculation I've seen is that the Pats gave him a one year deal to force Pittsburgh to make the tough decision of, "do we take a 3rd rounder now, or do we keep Sanders for one year and have him leave for nothing next year".  In other words, Sanders isn't worth a 3rd rounder if you're confining the analysis to next year alone.

The further speculation is that if Pittsburgh declines to match, the Pats will rework Sanders deal and sign him for multiple years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dennard gets 30 days in jail & 2 years probation per multiple reports on Twitter

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Dennard gets 30 days in jail & 2 years probation per multiple reports on Twitter

Wont have to report to jail intill march 1 2014