Author Topic: 2013 Patriots Football  (Read 198887 times)

Re: 2013 Patriots Football
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I thought the general understanding about Sanders is that he lines up wide and is a deep threat...

Also, we resigned Cole for the fourth CB slot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Id rather have sanders over edelman.

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The question is Sanders, or Edelman + 3rd rounder?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Sanders, maybe because I really like him. Hes just getting ready to enter his prime and he has alot of potential. Could possibly even be a deep threat even tho I'm not sure about that but that's what people are saying. Plus with us signing leon washington our return game is set also.

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Or, depending on how much it costs to sign Sanders, it might be "Sanders, or Edelman + 3rd rounder + cap flexibility".

I don't know enough about Sanders, and I worry he'll be too expensive. The Pats problem is not its offense. Its the defense. Edelman is a utility guy who can play both offense and defense, the third rounder could be a defensive player, and the cap flexibility could be used to sign a guy like Abraham.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Or, depending on how much it costs to sign Sanders, it might be "Sanders, or Edelman + 3rd rounder + cap flexibility".

I don't know enough about Sanders, and I worry he'll be too expensive. The Pats problem is not its offense. Its the defense. Edelman is a utility guy who can play both offense and defense, the third rounder could be a defensive player, and the cap flexibility could be used to sign a guy like Abraham.

Idk about that man, 13 points?!!? Seems like every playoff loss we have I look up and our offense put up a pathetic number of points.

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Some really well-thought out posts from Mike Reiss on Welker in his weekly chat:

A few quick Welker thoughts. Stepping back from it, as a fan of the game and a fan of Welker, it is a big disappointment. My all-time favorite Patriot = Welker.

Mike
  (11:35 AM)

As is often the case, both sides can share some of the responsibility for this unexpected ending. If you asked Welker a few weeks ago, I think he would have been shocked at the thought of playing elsewhere. This isn't what he was expecting. Likewise for the Patriots. They had aligned goals, but ultimately a major gap in their view of the reshaped marketplace.

Mike
  (11:37 AM)

If you want to hold the agents accountable, it's for overshooting the market so badly. They were asking for a $15 million signing bonus on the first day of free agency. Seeing how Welker wound up with 2 years, $12 million with the Broncos, it's not even close. Everyone knows that in any negotiation, one side starts high, the other starts low, and you try to compromise and meet somewhere in the middle. But if your starting points are so far apart, and one is so unrealistic, it makes that process a lot tougher to go through.

Mike
  (11:40 AM)

As for the Patriots, if you want to hold them accountable, in my view it's for moving on as quickly as they did once free agency began. Should they have given Welker another 24-48 hours, given all he did for the franchise, before moving on to Amendola? I could make the case that they should have. The Patriots probably would have lost Amendola if they did that (he had other suitors lined up), but to me, Welker was a special case. The Patriots will counter by saying that they had no realistic expectation that a deal could get done with Welker because of the unrealistic demands made by Welker's agents, and then what if they lost both Amendola and Welker? They have a point there. This is the cold part of the business.

Mike
  (11:42 AM)

I'm going to step outside the journalistic realm for one moment and sum it up this way: The whole thing stinks. Welker should have been here and I truly believe he wanted to be here. It's disappointing to me that he's not. There are so many layers to the situation, and I'm happy to dissect them all if we so desire. That's why I wanted to start a little early today -- to be able to cover anything Welker-related because it's been so polarizing, but also the non-Welker related stuff.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Vollmer resigns w Pats.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 08:40:19 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Feel a bit better after the Vollmer signing, although I'm curious about the terms. Market must have been soft for him to return, and I'm sure it was on the cheap, or at least below what he thought his market value was.

Now that we are full up on DBs, I expect us to go with a DT in the first round of the draft, with an x receiver in the second,  then OL help in the late rounds, or maybe a safety since they are a dime a dozen this year. There's always some decent UFAs to pick up for camp to plug in OL, WR and LB holes.

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Pats will sign a cheap vet DE like Abraham.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Feel a bit better after the Vollmer signing, although I'm curious about the terms. Market must have been soft for him to return, and I'm sure it was on the cheap, or at least below what he thought his market value was.

Now that we are full up on DBs, I expect us to go with a DT in the first round of the draft, with an x receiver in the second,  then OL help in the late rounds, or maybe a safety since they are a dime a dozen this year. There's always some decent UFAs to pick up for camp to plug in OL, WR and LB holes.
Yes those are my precisely my thoughts on the first two rounds as well. Of course, Belichick being who he is, he'll do something totally different.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm surprised this isn't done by now.  Abraham could be waiting to see how things play out in Denver.  (The Broncos reportedly prefer Freeney, which I don't necessarily understand.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I'm surprised this isn't done by now.  Abraham could be waiting to see how things play out in Denver.  (The Broncos reportedly prefer Freeney, which I don't necessarily understand.)

Friends with Peyton?

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

That's great news to Pats fans if Broncos prefer Freeney. Manning connection? If that happens and the musical chairs stop w Abraham w Pats on the cheap... great!  I think only reason it hasn't been done is Pats always seem to have a figure in mind and won't extend past it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Vollmer resigns w Pats.

Update: 4 yrs $27M max. Lots of incentives.

Seems like a good deal for the Pats. They keep Vollmer, pay him if he stays healthy, but pay him less than top money (top OTs have been getting  upwards of $9M/yr in contracts).
Celtics fan for life.