Author Topic: 2013 Patriots Football  (Read 198906 times)

Re: 2013 Patriots Football
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Reportedly, we have shown interest in Dumervil. That would be an interesting one to watch over the next couple of days.

How do people feel about sinking 6-8 million of cap space into someone who plays Chandler Jones' position?

Not really a fan of it to be honest.  I'd rather go cheaper and bring in a Abraham or Freeney type. 

I've also see games where Dumervil has been an absolute non factor.  He can disappear. Not as high on him as some othere here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Talib signing helps me breathe easier.
To do ( not in any particular order):

Resign Julian Edelman
Get another decent CB (could be Dowling or via draft but vet FA likely safest).
Sign a vet DE (Freeney, Abraham, Dumervil?)
Get deeper at DL (likely via draft)
Get deeper at OL ( likely via draft, but possibly FA, Vollmer if cheap)

See no point of signing edelman now. Maybe for depth but Its not worth paying much to keep him.

Depends on price, of course.
But right now the Pats have Amendola, Jones, and a bunch of training camp invites. A pretty thin roster, IMHO.
Plus, I love Edelman's versatility.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Reportedly, we have shown interest in Dumervil. That would be an interesting one to watch over the next couple of days.

How do people feel about sinking 6-8 million of cap space into someone who plays Chandler Jones' position?

Not really a fan of it to be honest.  I'd rather go cheaper and bring in a Abraham or Freeney type. 

I've also see games where Dumervil has been an absolute non factor.  He can disappear. Not as high on him as some othere here.

The more I think about this, the more I agree. If Abraham or Freeney can be had for cheap, then I think this is the preferable option. According to the globe, the Pats have maybe $9M left in cap space, about half of which needs to be saved for signing draft picks. I would hate the Pats to spend most of their remaining cap space on what I would call a "luxury" signing...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The more I think about this, the more I agree. If Abraham or Freeney can be had for cheap, then I think this is the preferable option. According to the globe, the Pats have maybe $9M left in cap space, about half of which needs to be saved for signing draft picks. I would hate the Pats to spend most of their remaining cap space on what I would call a "luxury" signing...
This makes sense. Also, we still haven't heard anything about Sanders.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

This makes sense. Also, we still haven't heard anything about Sanders.

I also think he might be too expensive, both in terms of $$ and in terms of the draft pick. It might depend on what type of compensatory draft picks the Pats get, if any.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Wonder if the Pats would consider bringing in Ed Reed and moving McCorty to the second cornerback position if the money was right.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Wonder if the Pats would consider bringing in Ed Reed and moving McCorty to the second cornerback position if the money was right.
No thanks. Enough McCorty at corner.

Also, we may need another pass rusher more than another DB right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I don't know, I think both are pretty big spots of need - Right now you're looking at Arrington as your second CB and Ras I Dowling (if he really exists) as your nickelback. You do have the draft of course, but Coach Bill has had a rough history drafting secondary.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I don't know, I think both are pretty big spots of need - Right now you're looking at Arrington as your second CB and Ras I Dowling (if he really exists) as your nickelback. You do have the draft of course, but Coach Bill has had a rough history drafting secondary.

I think Reed will be too expensive, plus I think depth at S is decent. I could see the Pats signing another cheap CB, though, especially given that the market is full of CBs this year, depressing their prices.

When and if Dowling plays, he'll provide competition and depth at both S and CB, but can't be counted on in any case.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 02:27:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think Reed will be too expensive, plus I think depth at S is decent. I could see the Pats signing another cheap CB, though, especially given that the market is full of CBs this year, depressing their prices.

When and if Dowling plays, he'll provide competition and depth at both S and CB, but can't be counted on in any case.

I might go into shock if I ever actually Ras-IR-Dowling on the field.  That pick has been a disaster up to date.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Well, there's always the chance that they'll bring back Marquice Cole for another go.

Also, you can always move McCourty back to CB for the nickel formation.

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
(fairly) straight talk from Kraft on Welker:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741199/kraft-welker-was-our-first-choice
Pretty much confirms what we already know: Welker asked for a pile of money, then turned around and inexplicably signed with Denver for peanuts. Go figure.

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
(fairly) straight talk from Kraft on Welker:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741199/kraft-welker-was-our-first-choice
Pretty much confirms what we already know: Welker asked for a pile of money, then turned around and inexplicably signed with Denver for peanuts. Go figure.

Yes and no. It sounds like Kraft really likes Welker, and would like to have Welker back, and that Kraft believed he was offering Welker a deal above market value. Agent didn't think so, and didn't believe that Kraft's last offer would really be last offer, so they left the bargaining table (so to speak) and went out on the open market. Kraft and BB made the choice to move on, and went with Danny Amendola. Welker and his agent came back to Kraft after getting the Denver offer, but it was too late at that point.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
CB Cole resigned (provides depth).

Greg Bedard at boston.com has a nice table outlining offseason needs:

I'd love to see Pats sign Vollmer, Abraham, Edelman (in that order), then draft one of the big tackles in the first round.
Celtics fan for life.