Author Topic: Celtics (34-28) at Bobcats (13-50) 3/12  (Read 41831 times)

Celtics (34-28) at Bobcats (13-50) 3/12
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (34-28) at Charlotte Bobcats (13-50)
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #63, Road Game #32
TV:  CSNNE, SSO-CHA, NBA-LP 751(BOS)/752(CHA)
Radio: WEEI, WFNZ
Time Warner Cable Arena

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Avery Bradley.....Courtney Lee ..... Paul Pierce.....Brandon Bass.......Kevin Garnett
Celtics Reserves
Jeff Green
Jordan Crawford
Jason Terry
Chris Wilcox
DJ White
Terrence Williams
Shavlik Randolph

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back)  out

Red Claws

Fab Melo

Probable Starters
PG......SG.....SF.....PF ..... C
Kemba Walker ......Gerald Henderson....Michael Kidd-Gilchrist........Byron Mullens .......Bismack Biyombo

Bobcats Bench

Brendan Haywood
Jeff Adrien
DeSagana Diop
Ben Gordon
Jeffrey Taylor
Tyrus Thomas
Reggie Williams

Injuries
Ramon Sessions (knee)  out

Team Connections
DeSagana Diop and Rajon Rondo attended Oak Hill Academy
Brandon Bass and DeSagana Diop were teammates in Dallas from 2007-09
Jeff Green and Byron Mullens were teammates in Oklahoma City from 2009-11
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Rajon Rondo both attended Kentucky
Jared Sullinger and Byron Mullens both attended Ohio State
DeSagana Diop and Jason Terry were teammates in Dallas from 2005-09
Jason Terry and Brendan Haywood were teammates in Dallas from 2009-12
Ben Gordon and Chris Wilcox were teammates in Detroit from 2009-11.

Game Notes
  The Bobcats may have a losing record, but this team always plays hard as evidenced by the Celtics' 94-91 loss the last time they visited the Bobcats.   Granted that the Celtics were playing in back to back games after a triple OT game the night before, but it just proves that if a team shows any weakness, the Bobcats will try to exploit it. 

This is the third of 4 games between these two teams.  The Celtics won the first meeting 100-89 in Boston and they lost their second meeting in Charlotte 91-94.    The Celtics are 6-4 in their last 10 games while the Bobcats are just 0-10 in their last 10.  The Celtics are just 12-19  on the road while the Bobcats have been even worse at home at 7-24, but one of those 7 wins is against the Celtics.   The Celtics are looking to start a new win streak after having their 5 game win streak snapped in OKC on Sunday.  The Bobcats would be happy just winning one after losing their last 10. 

The Celtics have moved up to the 6th spot in the East, tied with Atlanta who are in 7th, but get the higher seed because they lead the season series.  They are just half a game behind Chicago for the 5th seed and 2.5 games behind Brooklyn for the 4th spot.  They are also just 1.5 games in front of the Bucks who are in 8th.    The Bobcats have the worst record in the league and now are playing for ping pong balls, but in spite of that, they always play hard and so the Celtics can't take them for granted. 

This game is the first game of a back to back set with the Raptors coming into the Garden on Wednesday.    After KG's 5-19 shooting against OKC, this might be a good time to give him another night off.   We may get to see some DJ White and Shavlik Randolph, who are on their second 10 day contract but haven't seen much playing time.   The Celtics need to win this and they should, with or without KG.   

Key Matchups
  vs 
Brandon Bass vs Byron Mullens
Brandon Bass is coming off one of his best games of the season and he will need to produce in this game as well.  Mullens is averaging 11.8 points and 7.1 rebounds per game but in the last meeting between these two teams, Mullens exploded for 25 points and 18 rebounds.   The Celtics need to do a better job of guarding him in this one. 

vs 
Avery Bradley vs Kemba Walker
 Walker is playing very well for the Bobcats, averaging 17 points , 3.4 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game.  Bradley should be able to match his speed and stay ahead of him to slow down both Kemba and the Bobcats' offense.   After facing Russell Westbrook in the last game, Walker should seem like a cakewalk. 

Honorable Mention
Courtney Lee vs Gerald Henderson
Henderson is having a decent season for the Bobcats, averaging 13.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.  In the last meeting between these two teams, he erupted for 16 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists.   Lee needs to keep him from having another big game.  The Celtics also need Lee to get his offensive game back on track.   

Keys to the Game
Focus and Energy - When the Celtics face teams with losing records, they often come out flat and lack focus and energy and they lose to teams they should easily beat.     The Celtics have got to stay focused and play with energy the entire game because the Bobcats always play hard, even though they don't have the most talent in the league,  and will take advantage of any lapse from the Celtics.   

Defense -   The Celtics need to make defense their priority.  The effort that the Celtics put out on the defensive end carries over to the offensive end as well.   The Celtics have been playing some very good defense led by their Pit Bull backcourt and they need to continue to do so. 

Rebound -    Good things happen when the Celtics crash the boards.   When they show energy in rebounding, that energy spreads to other areas of the game.  They prevent second chance points and fast break baskets by grabbing the rebounds.   Rebounding is effort and the Celtics must put out the effort to win the battle of the boards.   

Be Aggressive - When the Celtics are the more aggressive team they usually win.  They need to be aggressive in going to the basket, in grabbing rebounds, and in hustling after loose balls.  Unfortunately they often come out passively against the worst teams and so they have to make an effort to be aggressive in this one.

Take Care of the Ball - They also must focus on taking better care of the basketball.  They turned it over 19 times against OKC and it's hard to win when you give the other team that many extra possessions.   They have to make smarter passes and keep their focus when handling the ball. 

X-Factor
Mentality
This should be an easy game for the Celtics but at times they let down their guard against the teams with the worst records.  They also tend to lose focus on the road.   And that brings us to their mentality.    They need to come out playing like they are playing the Heat at home and if they do, they should get an easy win.   It would be nice to see the new guys get some experience on the court in this one. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:54:32 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (34-28) at Bobcats (13-50) 3/12
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I want a blowout.  Nothing short of a blowout.  That loss in OKC was a bit painful, so let's take it out on the cats.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I want a blowout.  Nothing short of a blowout.  That loss in OKC was a bit painful, so let's take it out on the cats.

The OKC loss was one of the more easier losses to get over this year. If we lose this game I will be annoyed tho.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
TP FL.

The shot glasses were fitting. If we lose this game I'm gonna need some hard liquor.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
classic trap game, i want a W and no injuries....C's never get up for games like this..

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If we lose this game.... Avenge our last loss please, nobody likes a losing streak to CHA   ::)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I could see us getting torched and making a guy like Mullins look like an All Star lol

Please no
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Please win this.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

The OKC loss was one of the more easier losses to get over this year. If we lose this game I will be annoyed tho.

could not agree more smurf.   last loss did not bother me at all. :)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Losing a winnable game always bothers me, and OKC certainly didn't look unbeatable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bobcats are a horrible, horrible basketball team.

Avoid the trap factor, stay healthy, get the W, and get the heck out of there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yup. This is a week we should sweep, despite the back-to-back factor.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Losing a winnable game always bothers me, and OKC certainly didn't look unbeatable.

meh. i understand your feelings however we are still trending in the right direction. we got good defensive play. I am banking on us not being that cold on offense again. When was the last time KG was that cold? along with the others?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Especially with a rough 2 week stretch to round out March coming up;  MIA, DAL, MEM, NYK, & ATL on the horizon.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah these are the sort of games we'll have to win if we want to climb up the seeding.