Author Topic: Offseason trade idea - Gortat  (Read 4004 times)

Re: Offseason trade idea - Gortat
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I do not think Suns can trade Gotart for our junk

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Phoenix isn't going to just dump Gortat for crap.

I personally don't think Fan Melo is crap.  But thanks for your constructive opinion.

They couldn't get a 2013 pick for him at the deadline, despite trying, and the 2014 draft is significantly deeper, so they're not getting a 2014 first rounder for him.  They don't want him, he doesn't want to be there, and their owner is cheap.  Don't know if the Celtics will get him or pursue him, but Phoenix isn't going to strike the jackpot for him.  That trade saves them $4 million and gives them another young player to develop.  Gortat only gives them fewer lottery balls for Wiggens.
I get that maybe they didn't get any decent offers for him, but there is still a minimum requirement for the Suns to be willing to move him.

They could get this kind of a haul at any time from a few different teams. They'd be better off holding on to him at the very least into next year and waiting for an injury or a team getting desperate and try to get a better deal then. If nothing crops up and they still want to move him this league is starved for big men so I'm sure a team will be willing to give them a few raw prospects that may or may not pan out for a solid 7 footer.

I just can't imagine being a suns fan and hearing that our team traded Gortat for Melo, Crawford and some cap space.

Unless the Suns decide that 2014 is too loaded of a draft to pass up and decide to blatantly tank to rebuild I don't see it.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Phoenix isn't going to just dump Gortat for crap.

This is true.  Moreover Gortat is a solid role player who could help put a good team over the top.  But he is a finished product and is in his late twenties.  He has limited offensive capabilities unless he's surrounded by good players.

In short, he's not the sort of player the Celtics ought to target in a trade for next season.

The Celtics are a young team about to enter a serious rebuilding phase.  Trade targets should be valuable future assets, not role players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I am a little confused with Fab as a prospect. He was drafted at about where he should have been, but ever since the moment he began playing, he has been considered horrible and a useless asset.

Didn't everybody in the world know that he was a project when he was drafted? If anything, he should be worth more now, after a year with professional coaching under his belt. Frankly, the last thing I would want to do is use him as trade filler in another deal - it just doesn't make any sense.

I get that Fab, alone, isn't enough to net us a player like Gortat, but people who had top notch expectations of the guy need to tone it down.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
With a year of additional data, it becomes easier to assess how likely the Fab Melo project will come to fruition.  So, he could be worth more or he could be worth less, depending on a more accurate reassessment of his talent and potential.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference