Author Topic: ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?  (Read 12062 times)

ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uylc-uTDKtU

Skip Bayless is an idiot... that is all.

Re: ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Don't even listen to him. Waste of time.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The fact that Bayless starts out by focusing on KG's offensive abilities proves his ignorance.

KG has a legitimate place in discussions about who is the greatest defensive player in NBA history. I'm not saying I think he is the best, but he is up there. I think his ability to elevate the abilities of those around him on defense is the best in NBA history. (Though, I never saw Russell play.)

Add that to his terrific scoring, rebounding and passing skills, along with his commitment to winning and team play, and you have one of the most complete players on both ends of the floor the league has ever seen.

Silly.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:11 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I saw Stephen A. Smith's face and decided not to click play.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:06:21 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
If that's the way you see it then Kevin Garnett IS in fact an all-time great 2 guard in a PF's body.  He'll never be seen an all-time great in the paint, but he was much better than those guys at passing, ball-handling, and jump-shooting.  You play to your strengths.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
IMO, the battle for the title of greatest power forward of all-time is between KG and Duncan. KG in his prime was a monster. 22 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, a block, and a steal nightly (combined with game changing defense). IMO, it doesn't matter how you play the game as long as your effective and KG was pretty [dang] effective.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
If that's the way you see it then Kevin Garnett IS in fact an all-time great 2 guard in a PF's body.  He'll never be seen an all-time great in the paint, but he was much better than those guys at passing, ball-handling, and jump-shooting.  You play to your strengths.

This! I agree that KG is a Big 2 guard. And we look at him and say, wow this guy was made to play basketball. But what most/SKIP doesn't see is that transformation from 2 to 5, not many players can say they have done that heck, he can play the point in his early days. Not many players can guard the 1 to 5 spot exceptionally like KG does.

He was not built to be a 5, but he is playing to his strengths. His intensity and passion and knowledge for the game is unreal. I'd say he is the most versatile player this game has ever seen. He has his own category in the record books for crying out loud.

Started out as a 2, played the 3 in his early years, excelled at the 4, and now finishing his career as a 5. He is an All-Time Great. Period.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
My Reply

Name me another player that has 25000 points 10000 rebounds 5000 assists almost 2000 blocks and over 1000 steals......

OH THATS RIGHT... THERE ISNT ANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man is in a league of his own.

Factor in the way he makes those around him play harder, and the way he anchors a defence.

You have an all time great there

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 01:49:48 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I saw Stephen A. Smith's face and decided not to click play.

TP, bro!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
My Reply

Name me another player that has 25000 points 10000 rebounds 5000 assists almost 2000 blocks and over 1000 steals......

OH THATS RIGHT... THERE ISNT ANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man is in a league of his own.

Factor in the way he makes those around him play harder, and the way he anchors a defence.

You have an all time great there

... END OF DISCUSSION!  Skip Bayless can S*** it!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:13:57 AM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
How Skip Bayless has a job seems to baffle me every time he speaks.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 03:17:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Skip Bayless complains that KG shoots to many jumpers and that bigs should score more of their points in the paint.  I think that one of the great things about KG is that he is a big able to score so many points outside the paint without being an indiscriminate chucker.  He is what I look for in a power forward or center, a great defender who has to be defended out to the perimeter.  He's a better player than someone who would score the same amount of points, but only by posting up and pounding the ball inside and not through a more varied offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:43 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I just can give no weight or import to anything Skip "Way-Less" Bayless says ... he's one of those people my minds shuts off every time it hears his voice.

I guess he's allowed an opinion like the rest of us, it's just sad that he's able to spread it around so far-and-wide, (he and Felger should hook up ... two-of-a-kind).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 04:06:57 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
IMO, the battle for the title of greatest power forward of all-time is between KG and Duncan. KG in his prime was a monster. 22 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, a block, and a steal nightly (combined with game changing defense). IMO, it doesn't matter how you play the game as long as your effective and KG was pretty [dang] effective.

The way Kevin McHale is overlooked around here is something else.  He was a great on both ends of the floor and was regularly abusing people before he lost his lift by playing through ridiculous injuries in the playoffs.  He could D up nearly everyone (not so much Kareems sky hook) and score in the post on anybody.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:39:40 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
As far as ESPN commentary, of course KG is an all time great.