Author Topic: ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?  (Read 11960 times)

Re: ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 04:49:28 AM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
So Bayliss is marking down KG for not being the player that HE wanted him to be.....makes sense :o

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't know. I'm reading in to what Skip said I think he agrees that KG is an all time great, he just thinks he could've been great-er if he played like a big and scored down low.

He's been calling him Kevin Gar-not before, ever since Cold Pizza days, not because of disrespect but because he believes KG has the skills and the tools to dominate down low but still he'd rather shoot jumpers. It's the same as him calling out LeBron when he was shooting fade away jumpers a ton, and Skip is calling him out, telling him that he's unstoppable when driving the lane so he should but instead he's choosing to chuck fade aways.

This is just me. I read Skip's comments as KG is an All Time Great, he could've have been Greater though if he scored and utilized his skills in the post more.

Call me crazy if you want, but I agree with Skip, in that sense of course. I think KG in his prime drifted a lot and fell in love with the jumpers. He may not be as strong as SAS said, but the KG I've seen before had an array of moves and he could easily dominate the paint because he's long and shifty. But I guess Skip and I are picking knits here. But KG is All Time great, definitely.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:06:41 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 06:32:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
My Reply

Name me another player that has 25000 points 10000 rebounds 5000 assists almost 2000 blocks and over 1000 steals......

OH THATS RIGHT... THERE ISNT ANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man is in a league of his own.

Factor in the way he makes those around him play harder, and the way he anchors a defence.

You have an all time great there
Kareem exceeds all of those by a fairly wide margin.  Olajuwon far exceeds all of those except assists.  And Malone is the reverse on steals and blocks with nearly 37000 points, just under 15000 rebounds, over 5200 assists, over 2000 steals, and over 1100 blocks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
IMO, the battle for the title of greatest power forward of all-time is between KG and Duncan.
Dirk Nowitzki
Elvin Hayes
Kevin McHale
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone

With names like that I'd have to argue that it's more then just KG and Duncan battling for the GOAT. Duncan probably is the top one overall however.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 07:08:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yup, he is one of those rare iconic sports figures that everybody knows , like Shaq, or Barkley.   

He must retire a Celtic.

Pierce maybe a better player and greater in Celtic fans eyes  , but KG is like Santa Claus , everybody knows him the world over.

KG is just plain cool.

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I didn't watch the video because I have zero respect for either of those two, but of course KG is an all-time great. I can't believe it's even debatable. I've been a huge fan of his game long before he ended up in Boston.

He dominated the game in every way in his prime. He's a 7 footer who averaged over 5 assists a game for 6 straight seasons, and over 4 for 10 straight seasons. He regularly took the ball down the court for the Timberwolves and handled playmaking duties. Saying a player can play all 5 positions or guard all 5 positions is overused these days, but in his prime he truly was capable of that.

In my opinion he's the single most versatile and complete player ever. Yes, there are many players shorter than him who also had no holes in their game; but he's 7 feet tall and was still capable of doing everything at an elite level aside from 3 point shooting. His stats in his MVP season are just mind boggling. 24 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 apg, 2.2 bpg, 1.5 spg on 50% FG and 79% FT. Just ridiculous, it doesn't get any more complete than that. Stats can't possibly do his defense justice either.

It's a shame that the best years of his career were wasted in Minnesota on bad teams. The most help he had there was Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell well past their primes; that's pretty bad. Duncan is a hell of a player too and I don't want to take anything away from him, but look at the talent the Spurs have had every year since he's been there. I truly believe if KG had had that strong of a team every season he'd have a handful of rings too. He really is loyal to a fault.

Anyone who thinks he doesn't belong up there with the all-time greats just doesn't know what they're talking about. 15 time all-star, 9 all-nba selections, 12 all-defense selections, MVP, all-star game MVP, DPOTY, championship, his resume is as complete as any other PF's.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 07:19:19 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
 ::)Folks...he could've been greater, his teams had missed the playoffs 3 years in a row   before he came here, they'd been out of the first round once. Yes individually and statistically he's an all time great...he's been fantastic as a Celtic....could've been better skip is right and for those who bash Stephen a without even watching it..um he takes the other side of the argument
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:25:27 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 07:44:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
::)Folks...he could've been greater, his teams had missed the playoffs 3 years in a row   before he came here, they'd been out of the first round once. Yes individually and statistically he's an all time great...he's been fantastic as a Celtic....could've been better skip is right and for those who bash Stephen a without even watching it..um he takes the other side of the argument

agree here.

I think as crazy Skip is he knows for certain that KG is all time great. Must have just forgot to say it because he right away went to "could have been greater". But he has valid points. KG couldve have dominated the game more if he incorporated his low post skills along with his excellent midrange game. He'll be unstoppable. But he did at the tail end of his prime floated out a ton and just settled for jumpers. But no one, and I think Skip does not as well, is denying what he can bring. He just though he could be better.

And your points about missing the playoffs our being bounced in the first round is also correct. Although, he did not have a ton of help in Minny outside of that one year he had Cassell and that crazy coach choking dude.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
IMO, the battle for the title of greatest power forward of all-time is between KG and Duncan.
Dirk Nowitzki
Elvin Hayes
Kevin McHale
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone

With names like that I'd have to argue that it's more then just KG and Duncan battling for the GOAT. Duncan probably is the top one overall however.
Bird spent some time at PF as well.  Would include him in that discussion too even though he slid back and forth between the forward spots

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 08:17:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't know. I'm reading in to what Skip said I think he agrees that KG is an all time great, he just thinks he could've been great-er if he played like a big and scored down low.

The issue with that is that's just not KG.  What KG is though is probably the most complete big man ever.  He can shoot, pass, block shots, rebound, attack the rim.... and is very smart and a great leader.  I know he doesn't have the post game of some others but he is a truly remarkable player.  To me he is a modern Russell in how he just fits into his team and makes his whole team better, with how his game adapts and how he brings leadership and fire.

I wouldn't take any PF over him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
yup, he is one of those rare iconic sports figures that everybody knows , like Shaq, or Barkley.   

He must retire a Celtic.

Pierce maybe a better player and greater in Celtic fans eyes  , but KG is like Santa Claus , everybody knows him the world over.

KG is just plain cool.

8)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Something like 7 years in a row of 20-5-10 per game. HOF Defense. Very good scorer. Elite rebounder. Above average passing for a big man. The question is not HOF worthy, the question is top 30 all-time?20? etc

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I saw Stephen A. Smith's face and decided not to click play.

I hate to say this, because Stephen A. Smith is a friend of mine. Stephen A. Smith performed my son's briss. Stephen A. Smith and I own a timeshare together in Ogunquit with side-by-side clawfoot bathtubs overlooking the water.

but Stephen A. Smith is a complete boob and no one should ever take anything he says seriously ever. If I was in a crowded movie theater and Stephen A. Smith yelled "fire," I would sit tight and hope that at least it meant he was leaving.

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Skip Bayless is an idiot... that is all.

In other news, the sky is still blue.

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
This is the same network that had the headline "Add Stephen Curry to the list of greats who have scored over 50 points at MSG."

Yeah, Stephen Curry is a great but KG's status is up for debate.  I stopped watching ESPN aside from live NBA games a looooooooooooong time ago.