Author Topic: ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?  (Read 12074 times)

Re: ESPN: Is Garnett an All-Time Great?
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I see someone said that McHale wasn't a great rebounder because he never averaged 10 per game in his career.

But let's add some context to that. When McHale was playing he usually played alongside Bird, Parish, Maxwell, Walton, and Pinckney. All were very good to elite rebounders. That definitely took away from rebounds that would be available for him.

Remember years like 1984 and 1985? Bird and Parish both played in excess of 34 MPG and both averaged over 10.4 RPG those two years. McHale had 7.5 and 9.0 RPG those two years while playing over 30 MPG.

I contend McHale was an excellent rebounder. He just played in an era where just about every team had an elite rebounder and the Celtics had 3.

Eh...  Yes, McHale's rebounds were limited by playing next to Larry and Parish.  However, even in '89 -- when Bird played a total of 6 games -- McHale's TRB% was a pedestrian 12.7%.

I don't think there's any actual evidence that McHale was an excellent rebounder.  His numbers probably would have gone up a bit if he was the best big man on his team, but it was never a particular strength, especially when compared to his peers.
After '87 I have to admit his ability to rebound was effected by his bad foot. Sort of like when KG's numbers dipped after his knee injury. I am not saying he was an elite rebounder. He wasn't. But he was excellent and usually surrounded by other excellent rebounders.

For instance, in that 1989 season, Parish had his best rebounding season ever averaging 12.5 per. 2 Celtic guards averaged over 4,6 RPG and Pinckney and Kleine combined had over 10 RPG and a TRB% average of 14.2%.

Still remember watching his work under the boards both offensively and defensively and thought he was an excellent rebounder.
there were a lot more rebounds as whole available in the 80's so take that for its worth, but I think people forget that KG was actually on teams with decent rebounders.  I mean the first year KG hit 10 boards (when he moved from SF to PF really) his RB% was 15.4.  He was also playing with Joe Smith at 14 and Dean Garrett at 13.6.  Both comparable if not better than much of the Bird, Parish, McHale prime years.  The next year KG bumped up to 17.1, but Joe Smith bumped up as well to 14.3 and Nesterovic replaced Garrett (as the third big) and was a respectable 12.8.  Garrett was still on the team at a healthy 13.5.  That 00-01 TWolves team had 5 players above 13.2, KG again led the way at 16.4.

KG was quite simply a vastly superior rebounder to McHale and it wasn't about Parish and Bird, it was quite simply he was just better at it.  Some of that may in fact be because McHale often wasn't defending the post because Parish was better at it then he was so McHale didn't have to guard the opposing teams best big. 

The reality is when you aren't your teams best player you don't have the same pressure and your stats are inflated to the positive.  You don't get the double teams, you don't have to work as hard defensively, etc.  It is just easier and McHale benefitted greatly from that in his career numbers.  For me, as I said he is 5th all time, comfortably ahead of Dirk and the Worm, but well behind Malone, Duncan, Charles, and KG.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip