Author Topic: Relatively safe to say we would have beaten Miami last year with Bradley?  (Read 13711 times)

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
was bradley gonna guard LeBron?  cuz if not, the Heat still would have won.  If you play that series 10 times with or without Bradley... I think Boston takes it to 7 games once and only once... and that was the series you watched.  A Best case scenario.   Don't be confused by the fact that Boston stretched it to 7... LeBron wasn't losing that series. 

You were convinced that they'd take us in 5 when we won game 3, you were convinced they'd beat us in 6 when we we game 4. Your accuracy isn't improving over time.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
People are roasting the OP..im not sure why.
I think in the exact same series, with Bosh out and Wade injured...adding Bradley probably gives us an edge. That being said, Rays spacing and hitting those huge shots vs Bradleys defense against Wade its difficult to pick whats more important...

Its going to be fun to watch us play them this year because adding Green and Bradley while taking Rondo out gives the series a bit more excitement.
Just imagine in a perfect world what wouldve happened with Green , Bradley and Rondo against a Heat team with no Bosh, a gimpy Wade and our bench at full strength...
Safe to say we have the edge, but thats only because of the Heats injury issues.

regarding OPs question, I think with Avery against that exact same line up we probably come out on top.
With Avery in AND Bosh in I think we lose.
With Avery and Green and Bosh all in I think we win too.

I guess thats the fun and pain of hindsight.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
with Scalabrine
fo sure

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
was bradley gonna guard LeBron?  cuz if not, the Heat still would have won.  If you play that series 10 times with or without Bradley... I think Boston takes it to 7 games once and only once... and that was the series you watched.  A Best case scenario.   Don't be confused by the fact that Boston stretched it to 7... LeBron wasn't losing that series. 

You were convinced that they'd take us in 5 when we won game 3, you were convinced they'd beat us in 6 when we we game 4. Your accuracy isn't improving over time.

He was also convinced Miami was going to win the series.  And that's all that really matters.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
What if we have Bradley and Green ? Do we beat Miami ?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

He was also convinced Miami was going to win the series.  And that's all that really matters.

Miami won, but whether the would have without Bosh is anybody's guess.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
nope. 

Also it kinda goes both ways... they could have theoretically beat us easily had bosh been healthy the whole series.  As soon as Bosh came back, Miami took care of business.

You need to clarify that statement.

I believe as soon as Bosh came back we won 2 in a row

Allow me to clarify the statement.

Bosh missed the first 4 games of the series... which was tied 2-2.

Game 5, Bosh played a mere 14 minutes off the bench for MIami.  I don't count that.  Boston won by 4.

Game 6, Bosh plays 28 minutes... has a weak game - 7 points, 6 rebounds 3 blocks 37% shooting ... Miami crushes Boston by 19.

Game 7, Bosh plays 31 minutes... 19 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal... 80% shooting.  Miami crushes Boston by 13.

There really was never any doubt who was winning that series.  Miami got a little lazy early in the series (as they did against the Pacers the round before)... but they closed it out when it mattered.  Think 2008 Boston vs Atlanta.  Did Atlanta really ever have a chance?  Naaahh....

Fact is, with a size-depleted team like Boston... an all-star big man tends to matter.  People undervaluing Bosh's impact are stupid.  Just stupid.  He mattered. 

Which brings me to our 1st round matchup against Atlanta last year.

Thank our lucky stars, we faced off against Atlanta without their best player... star big man Al Horford.

Horford had been out for 4 months... He missed the first 3 games of the series and Boston took a 2-1 lead.

Game 4, a very rusty Horford returned for a total of 20 minutes off the bench.  I don't count that.   Boston takes a 3-1 lead.

Game 5, Horford (have I mentioned he hadn't played in 4 months?) plays 41 minutes... goes 8-15 with 19 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals... Atlanta wins the game.

Game 6, Horford plays 46 minutes.  Goes 6-9, 15 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block, 1 steal... Boston squeaks by witha  3 point victory to close out the series.  Phew. 

Atlanta had home court advantage.  The next game would have been in Atlanta.   If we're playing the silly "If so-and-so was healthy" game, you have to play the same game for HOrford.  Had Horford been healthy for that entire series, we probably wouldn't have made it out of round 1.  Boston's weakness was (and continues to be) lack of size.

Yes, Atlanta managing a 1 point win out of the 3 games Horford played in proves a lot.

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
The truth of the matter is that if Gronk hadn't reb-roke his arm & Talib hadn't pulled a hammy in the first quarter, the Celtics would have for sure beaten the Ravens and won the Super Bowl! No doubt about it.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
The truth of the matter is that if Gronk hadn't reb-roke his arm & Talib hadn't pulled a hammy in the first quarter, the Celtics would have for sure beaten the Ravens and won the Super Bowl! No doubt about it.

Mk

Whoops! Sry, I am mixing up my irrelevant & tedious "what-if" threads!

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
nope. 

Also it kinda goes both ways... they could have theoretically beat us easily had bosh been healthy the whole series.  As soon as Bosh came back, Miami took care of business.

You need to clarify that statement.

I believe as soon as Bosh came back we won 2 in a row

Allow me to clarify the statement.

Bosh missed the first 4 games of the series... which was tied 2-2.

Game 5, Bosh played a mere 14 minutes off the bench for MIami.  I don't count that.  Boston won by 4.

Game 6, Bosh plays 28 minutes... has a weak game - 7 points, 6 rebounds 3 blocks 37% shooting ... Miami crushes Boston by 19.

Game 7, Bosh plays 31 minutes... 19 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal... 80% shooting.  Miami crushes Boston by 13.

There really was never any doubt who was winning that series.  Miami got a little lazy early in the series (as they did against the Pacers the round before)... but they closed it out when it mattered.  Think 2008 Boston vs Atlanta.  Did Atlanta really ever have a chance?  Naaahh....

Fact is, with a size-depleted team like Boston... an all-star big man tends to matter.  People undervaluing Bosh's impact are stupid.  Just stupid.  He mattered. 

Which brings me to our 1st round matchup against Atlanta last year.

Thank our lucky stars, we faced off against Atlanta without their best player... star big man Al Horford.

Horford had been out for 4 months... He missed the first 3 games of the series and Boston took a 2-1 lead.

Game 4, a very rusty Horford returned for a total of 20 minutes off the bench.  I don't count that.   Boston takes a 3-1 lead.

Game 5, Horford (have I mentioned he hadn't played in 4 months?) plays 41 minutes... goes 8-15 with 19 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals... Atlanta wins the game.

Game 6, Horford plays 46 minutes.  Goes 6-9, 15 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block, 1 steal... Boston squeaks by witha  3 point victory to close out the series.  Phew. 

Atlanta had home court advantage.  The next game would have been in Atlanta.   If we're playing the silly "If so-and-so was healthy" game, you have to play the same game for HOrford.  Had Horford been healthy for that entire series, we probably wouldn't have made it out of round 1.  Boston's weakness was (and continues to be) lack of size.

Yes, Atlanta managing a 1 point win out of the 3 games Horford played in proves a lot.
Horford was hardly healthy in those 3 games (and yeah he played a lot of minutes, but so did Allen, Pierce, Bosh, etc. and we've all pretty much established they weren't exactly healthy), which was kind of his point.  I mean if you are going to nit pick and pick choose things, at least be in the same general ball park as the person you are talking to. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
It is relatively safe to say almost anything in this blog site, so please go ahead and say it as many times as you want: "We would have beaten Miami last year with Bradley."
you see: its easy. Now, in real life, I dont think so.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine