Author Topic: Rondo and Bradley  (Read 4833 times)

Re: Rondo and Bradley
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:14:39 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm not sold on it. Bradley is at his best covering points and Rondo is too short to guard wings. Bradley is a great point-guard defender, but I need to see more of his defense against the more physical scoring 2s. I want to see more of Bradley against guys like Wade and Harden before I buy in.

While I agree Bradley is at his best against PGs, he has always dominated Wade and did pretty well against Harden.  The ones you want to actually bring up for your point are Kobe and Joe Johnson.  He's done a pretty good job on Joe and Kobe I'm pretty sure we always had Rondo, Pierce, Green, or Lee on him because of size issues and Kobe's post game and ability to shoot over a smaller guard.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 07:26:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bradley is not a PG though offensively, he can't rack up assists.  As a SG, he doesn't have many spots save the corner that he owns on the court.  His shooting has improved but it needs work.  Defensively, he is a stud.   Sadly he is PG sized so that is why he can defend them best.  He is a ball hawk so anyone who dribbles a lot he can affect.

Bradley is not a PG.   Right now we can limp by with PP at point forward but few others on the team can play that way and there is no guarentee his replacement will do so.

I think Bradley would be best suited coming off the bench as your first guard in an ideal situation.   He isn't a true PG or SG.   But the world is hardly ideal, RR is a classic pass first PG.   If Bradley developed more spots then he could play the two hole.   Right now, he is a driver and a corner jumpshooter.   He needs to develop a frontal shot and a wing shot.  Rondo has never been a competant shooter.   He has improved but I still take a deep breath whenever he shoots.

Both these guys have faults but they both can play and their strengths outweigh their faults!

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'm not sold on it. Bradley is at his best covering points and Rondo is too short to guard wings. Bradley is a great point-guard defender, but I need to see more of his defense against the more physical scoring 2s. I want to see more of Bradley against guys like Wade and Harden before I buy in.

While I agree Bradley is at his best against PGs, he has always dominated Wade and did pretty well against Harden.  The ones you want to actually bring up for your point are Kobe and Joe Johnson.  He's done a pretty good job on Joe and Kobe I'm pretty sure we always had Rondo, Pierce, Green, or Lee on him because of size issues and Kobe's post game and ability to shoot over a smaller guard.

Kobe did the same thing on lee..literally backed him down and shot over him no problem, with my eyes Avery did a better job despite the couple inch discrepancy..pierce or green are better options on Kobe....Avery has done a fantastic and admirable job on any other big guard he's drawn to defend.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Too early to judge Bradley and what he's capable of. At this point he's a role player offensively but his defence is game changing.
We need a Bruce Bowen kind of player and with rondos length they can swap match ups.
Put it this way, with dwayne wade as our biggest threat as a shooting guard in the East for the next 3 years having Bradley there is perfect. He's a baby without much NBA experience but to see how much he's improved in just 2 seasons is exciting.
He is just going to get better and better and his finishing around the rim and shooting/ shot selection are going to improve very quickly.

You can't make proper judgements on a kid who's had less than 2 seasons in the NBA who's still recovering from double shoulder surgery.
Just remember what people were saying about him being  a wasted pick just 18 months ago. Give him another 18 months...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
best defensive backcourt in the nba, both guys are young, affordable contracts and BOTH still have upside
throw in a young pf, sully, still young enough green and you have a good core for the post pierce/garnett team
just need a really good free agent center added to that lot

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I took a look at some 2-man numbers and one thing that jumps out is that, well, the Bradley + Lee combination just hasn't been as good defensively as I think a lot of fans believe.

It has been giving up 105.2 points per 100 possessions - and that's measured over 407.8 minutes of play now, so is not an insignificant sample.

Meanwhile, the Rondo + Bradley combination gave up a miserly 97.4 points per 100 in 231.3 minutes before Rondo's injury.

That is a HUGE difference in performance.

We also know that Rondo & Bradley played great defense together LAST season for a more extended run:  In 452.5 minutes on the floor together last season, Rondo + Bradley posted an other-worldly DRtg of 92.1 points per 100 possessions!

Basically, we have over 700 minutes of the two playing together on the floor and they have posted elite, championship - hell historic - defensive numbers.   That's with a wide variety of players around them and opponents against them.

So, you can mark me in the camp that fully supports the idea of a Rondo + Bradley backcourt.

I was very excited when we got Lee as I thought he was an above-average defender who could hit 3s who would be a good young replacement for the role Allen was supposed to play off the bench.   Well, after seeing him this year, that's where I want him.  Off the bench.   He's simply not playing defense as well as his reputation and his offense is sporadic.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I took a look at some 2-man numbers and one thing that jumps out is that, well, the Bradley + Lee combination just hasn't been as good defensively as I think a lot of fans believe.

It has been giving up 105.2 points per 100 possessions - and that's measured over 407.8 minutes of play now, so is not an insignificant sample.

Meanwhile, the Rondo + Bradley combination gave up a miserly 97.4 points per 100 in 231.3 minutes before Rondo's injury.

We also know that Rondo & Bradley played great defense together LAST season for a more extended run:  In 452.5 minutes on the floor together last season, Rondo + Bradley posted an other-worldly DRtg of 92.1 points per 100 possessions!

Basically, we have over 700 minutes of the two playing together on the floor and they have posted elite, championship - hell historic - defensive numbers.   That's with a wide variety of players around them and opponents against them.

So, you can mark me in the camp that fully supports the idea of a Rondo + Bradley backcourt.

I was very excited when we got Lee as I thought he was an above-average defender who could hit 3s who would be a good young replacement for the role Allen was supposed to play off the bench.   Well, after seeing him this year, that's where I want him.  Off the bench.   He's simply not playing defense as well as his reputation and his offense is sporadic.

wow that's unreal.
Thanks for posting TP
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 06:51:01 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

wow that's unreal.
Thanks for posting TP

Funny, because stats were just posted not long ago that showed this team was playing good defense before rondo went down but has been playing elite since.

One thing I'm sure of by just watching the games Is rondos defense this year was absolutely pathetic. Defense is the one thing you cannot judge simply by looking at a stat sheet. Lees effort level defensively is light years ahead of rondo this year.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

wow that's unreal.
Thanks for posting TP

Funny, because stats were just posted not long ago that showed this team was playing good defense before rondo went down but has been playing elite since.

One thing I'm sure of by just watching the games Is rondos defense this year was absolutely pathetic. Defense is the one thing you cannot judge simply by looking at a stat sheet. Lees effort level defensively is light years ahead of rondo this year.

On this blog Rondo generally gets blamed for whatever's wrong with the team. I wouldn't say his defense this year was the best of his career but it was better than people claim.

If you look at the team defense over the course of the season it's much better than it was earlier this year for reasons that have nothing to do with Rondo. Playing most of his minutes early in the season when most of the team was playing poorly on defense is going to hurt his +/-, so is the fact that that the bigs were playing terrible defense with KG on the bench earlier this year and Rondo was on the court for the bulk of those minutes.