Author Topic: (Merged) Celtics better with/without Rondo debate  (Read 37029 times)

Re: (Merged) Celtics better with/without Rondo debate
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
I'm sure Kobe would take him.

« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I stated the only relevant FACT. By the way, I love Rondo as a player, but what does that have to do with the fact that the team for this season has a better record post his injury.

'we are better without Rondo' are your words, and that is spin. There is only one FACT. We have a better record post Rondo injury than we had pre-rondo injury. Whether we are better or not is spin.

Ok if you are only trying to post a 'fact', why did you ever start this thread?  Ok the earth is round.  That is a fact.  How dare anyone respond with anything but agreement to my thread because what I say is a fact!

Give me a break.  We can all count the wins and losses.  Failing to accept that there are a LOT of other things that effect our record is short sighted and is over simplifying everything.  There have been about a million of these threads lately, and yours doesn't even try to make a convincing point about why this should be 'settled'.

« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2013, 02:02:39 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I stated the only relevant FACT. By the way, I love Rondo as a player, but what does that have to do with the fact that the team for this season has a better record post his injury.

'we are better without Rondo' are your words, and that is spin. There is only one FACT. We have a better record post Rondo injury than we had pre-rondo injury. Whether we are better or not is spin.

Ok if you are only trying to post a 'fact', why did you ever start this thread?  Ok the earth is round.  That is a fact.  How dare anyone respond with anything but agreement to my thread because what I say is a fact!

Give me a break.  We can all count the wins and losses.  Failing to accept that there are a LOT of other things that effect our record is short sighted and is over simplifying everything.  There have been about a million of these threads lately, and yours doesn't even try to make a convincing point about why this should be 'settled'.
I'm still waiting for the OP to explain what the debate is that he is referring that supposedly is now 'settled'.

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2013, 02:03:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So we are better off without Sully too I suppose?
There is no debate...This team is not considered a true contender without Rondo. Regular season wins are great.
Rondo and Avery Bradley last year were part of the best defensive starting unit in the NBA.

*Rondo didn't get to play with this Avery Bradley this season. Bradley is finding his feet and shooting touch.
*Lee is finding his feet.
*Terry is consistent.
*Green has put together a very nice resume over the last 10 games.
*Wilcox is back and running the floor.

If anything, Paul Pierce having to play PG and passing more has helped us. He's making an extra pass instead of just receiving a pass from Rondo and chucking it up.

The resergence of Avery Bradley and Jeff Green is what is helping us win. If you add Rondo to that, we are a true contender. Unfortunately without him, we are a team of 2 old superstars and a few good role players and winning it all is just not that probable without Rondo in multiple 7 game series against teams like Miami, OKC, Chicago and the lite..
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2013, 02:05:47 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

What debate do you think has been settled?

I think he means the intense debate about what our w-l record is.  Ok debate over.

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2013, 02:07:50 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
We were also better without KG when he went down with his injury in 2009/2010...until we met up with Howard and Orlando in the playoffs.

Playoffs are a whole different ball game and where stars are made. Name me another current player in the NBA who is a better playoff player than Rondo. You could make a convincing argument that Rondo was the best player on the court in every playoff series where the Cs met LeBron.

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
okay the team has a worse records without Rondo. I agree with you.

« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2013, 02:11:57 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Well I am glad that is settled once and for all.
Whew! 

« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:03 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We were also better without KG when he went down with his injury in 2009/2010...until we met up with Howard and Orlando in the playoffs.

Playoffs are a whole different ball game and where stars are made. Name me another current player in the NBA who is a better playoff player than Rondo. You could make a convincing argument that Rondo was the best player on the court in every playoff series where the Cs met LeBron.

I'd like someone to convince me.

In 2008, Rondo outplayed LeBron?

In 2011, Rondo outplayed LeBron?

In 2012, Rondo outplayed LeBron?

No. No. And no.

2010 he may have.

Rondo has to be the most polarizing player in sports. Every single fan of his team either overrates him tremendously or thinks he is trash.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:10 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What Rondo debate was "settled"? No one was debating our record. So what were you referring to???

« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2013, 02:24:24 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What Rondo debate was "settled"? No one was debating our record. So what were you referring to???

I was referring to those who argue that we are only playing better because the other players decided to step it up after Rondo got hurt. That argument begs the question why didnt these players step up game with Rondo. I am just stating facts not assigning blame. Rationalizing does not change the fact

« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:56 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm sure Kobe would take him.
Rondo's a passer and Kobe's a chucker.. Perfect match!  ;D

« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
C'mon this ain't right. No Rondo and the beat goes on. Win Back to backers. Just who are these guys in Green ignited by AB?????? Time for the Blog geniuses to start figuring out who we can get for Rondo when the time comes.

« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2013, 04:47:43 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
To the OP.  What exactly is your position? Maybe you could be more specific as to what is being debated.

Rondo was selected as an all-star starter this season. FACT
 ;)

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2013, 05:14:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So we are better off without Sully too I suppose?
There is no debate...This team is not considered a true contender without Rondo. Regular season wins are great.
Rondo and Avery Bradley last year were part of the best defensive starting unit in the NBA.

*Rondo didn't get to play with this Avery Bradley this season. Bradley is finding his feet and shooting touch.
*Lee is finding his feet.
*Terry is consistent.
*Green has put together a very nice resume over the last 10 games.
*Wilcox is back and running the floor.

If anything, Paul Pierce having to play PG and passing more has helped us. He's making an extra pass instead of just receiving a pass from Rondo and chucking it up.

The resergence of Avery Bradley and Jeff Green is what is helping us win. If you add Rondo to that, we are a true contender. Unfortunately without him, we are a team of 2 old superstars and a few good role players and winning it all is just not that probable without Rondo in multiple 7 game series against teams like Miami, OKC, Chicago and the lite..

You sir, had the best point.

It is a fact that the record is better without Rondo. What the OP forgot to mention that it's also a fact that when he was playing, he was still able to find teammates and get them good quality shots. Shots that they missed, A LOT because they we're struggling. It don't matter if Rondo held the ball too much, he found people that are open, and not connecting, and that contributed to the loses.

As far as I'm concerned this debate is and will not end.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace