Author Topic: (Merged) Celtics better with/without Rondo debate  (Read 37038 times)

Re: (Merged) Celtics better with/without Rondo debate
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2013, 11:17:19 PM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Bottom line is that nobody will convince anybody on either side of this argument, so what's the point of a million threads about it? Short of this team winning a title there's really no way to know for sure whether they are better or not without him, so why does it have to be brought up nightly? These threads just spit out the same points on both sides, so why bother discussing it over and over again?

For what it's worth I don't think they are better without him. Same reason why the bulls aren't better without rose. I mean in 2010 this team played terrible for a long stretch of the regular season, but made it game 7 of the nba finals. Obviously this team cares little about the regular season so saying they played poorly early on cant be totally on rondo. Once he went out they needed to figure out a new way to play to be a contender, and you can see the effort night in and night out. That doesn't mean they are better without rondo, it just means they didn't play as hard early on because they felt like they didn't need to.

« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Can we just enjoy these wins and look forward to the post-season regardless of what Rondo is doing?

Let the man heal in peace.

« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

imagine a player who twists his ankle and hobbles around on the court until the next time out. They take his shoe off and tape up his ankle so he can run fine but put the wrong size shoe back on his foot. He can barely run in the too tight shoe but you keep telling him he doesn't need a different shoe because he's running a little bit faster than he was with the twisted ankle.

I think you're right. I am missing your point, because I really don't have any idea what you're talking about.

What the first part of your answer boils down to? Basically the Cs miss sizzle, even if it doesn't result in anything tangible.

So maybe we can try this a different, more productive way. Do you think Rondo can learn anything from how the Cs have been playing without him? If so, how do you see him taking that knowledge and applying it to improve his play and approach?

First of all it's not about sizzle. I don't see why you can't get this. We didn't suck on offense all year long and suddenly start playing good when Rondo left. We started out playing very good offense (even with Green, who's playing very good now, playing much less consistently). We went from playing very well to playing poorly. Since Rondo was controlling the offense when we were playing very good on offense and he was still controlling the offense when it slumped it doesn't take a genius to figure out that something other than Rondo controlling the ball led to the slump.

So for whatever reason, the team was in a slump. You can see it in PP and KG and Terry's numbers for various months. They're no longer in that slump. So considering how well Green is playing and our main offensive players are all playing better we should be *better* than we were earlier this year. We're not. That's because we're missing our best player.

And it's probably a mix of Rondo, Doc and the other players all learning things based on how the team's played over the last month or so. I know that people here think that Rondo rules the team with an iron fist and oppresses his teammates but that's not the case. He's probably doing pretty much what Doc wants him to, and there's probably a lot of truth to what Danny and KG said about the team relying too much on Rondo.

Ha, a 43 game slump? That's epic.

He's not wrong though. This has happened in almost every regular season since 2009, where the Celtics either start out hot and end cold, or vice versa.

08-09: went on a huge win streak (19 in a row) to start the season out 27-2, followed that up with 7 losses in 9 games, and went 9-9 from Feb to mid-March.

09-10: again, went on a win streak (11 in a row) to start the season out 20-4, then promptly lost 17 of their next 33 games.

10-11: once again, started the season on fire (23-4, 14 game win streak), but cooled down significantly and went .500 in their last 20 or so games.

11-12: much like this year, they started out with a mediocre 15-17 record, but caught fire around the all star break and ended the season on a 24-10 run.

Inconsistency in the regular season for these Celtics (08 team aside) is nothing new, and shouldn't be blamed solely on Rondo - injuries/coasting had to do with most of those lulls and average play. For that reason, I think it's foolish to discount the various obstacles this team has had to go through. With Bradley and Wilcox still sidelined, Green recovering from surgery, and 10 new additions to the roster, Doc essentially had to incorporate a completely new team before the start of the season. Also, the rotations for the first two+ months were very inconsistent, to put it mildly. From Nov 1st to Jan 5th, the Celtics went through 9 different starting lineups, featuring a 6 game stint with Collins at center where they went 2-4. The constant change in roles (specifically for Lee/Terry) made it very difficult for both the starters and the bench to get into a groove. Once Bradley came back and the rotation was more or less set, we saw a huge improvement from the bench play and the team as a whole.

I don't ignore or dismiss the fact that Rondo had some part of the C's struggles this year, but it's not very fair to point to our W-L record without him while discounting the other circumstances surrounding the team at the time. I just don't understand why it has to be so black and white when it comes to discussing Rondo on here.

« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:50 AM »

Offline LakersForDays

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 26
I can't explain why you guys are playing so much better since Rondo's injury, but I am still a firm believer you guys are an even better team with Rondo. Obviously the record says I'm full of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline....

Rondo has some exploitable weaknesses, but he is without a doubt in my mind a special talent. Not a single team in this league wouldn't be drooling over potentially signing him.

« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
In the field of debate and forensics there is fact and opinion.

Here are the facts:

The Celtics in 2012-2013 season have a better record without Rondo than they have with Rondo. Regardless of how you feel about Rondo, the Celtics, or basketball, this is an indisputable fact.

The 2012-2013 Boston Celtics have a better winning percentage post Rondo injury than pre-Rondo injury.

The team as more assists per game post Rondo injury than pre Rondo injury. Now those are the facts, everything else is spin.

Things like play you have not seen playoff Rondo or the team is going to lose steam are speculation without any basis in reality.

Arguments such as the team is only doing better because they other players did not perform when Rondo was on the team are just opinions that could be spun both ways. For example, what exactly was it about Rondo being on the team that made the other players not perform? The fact that other players did not perform when he was on team can be blamed on the other players by Rondo supporters, but Rondo could also be blamed for this observation. The fact however remains that the other players did not perform as well with Rondo regardless of who was responsible.

I hope this puts an end to the debate.

« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2013, 01:16:21 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
You've oversimplified everything. There are a million other factors at work here, and you fail to mention a single one of them.

You seem to think everyone should be siding with you to end the debate, when in reality, the debate would sooner end if everyone just realized that Rondo is a star who was being misused. By Doc.

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
no need to assign blame, you are right there are probably as many reasons as there are people willing to way in but the indisputable fact is the team is posting a better record without there supposed #1 STAR.

If we take your position for example that it is on Doc for not been able to use Rondo properly, all you have proved is Doc is a better coach without Rondo.

« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2013, 01:21:28 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Fact. We win 100% of the games KG misses this year. Fact.

I hope that settles all debates.

« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:12 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I hope this puts an end to the debate.

I'm not sure if this is a joke, but you do realize making a post about Rondo will all but ensure that there will be a debate about it?

« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31:37 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
as long as they know that there rationalizations and spinning will not change the FACT that the team has a better record without Rondo.

« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2013, 01:35:13 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He's not wrong though. This has happened in almost every regular season since 2009, where the Celtics either start out hot and end cold, or vice versa.

08-09: went on a huge win streak (19 in a row) to start the season out 27-2, followed that up with 7 losses in 9 games, and went 9-9 from Feb to mid-March.

09-10: again, went on a win streak (11 in a row) to start the season out 20-4, then promptly lost 17 of their next 33 games.

10-11: once again, started the season on fire (23-4, 14 game win streak), but cooled down significantly and went .500 in their last 20 or so games.

11-12: much like this year, they started out with a mediocre 15-17 record, but caught fire around the all star break and ended the season on a 24-10 run.

Inconsistency in the regular season for these Celtics (08 team aside) is nothing new, and shouldn't be blamed solely on Rondo - injuries/coasting had to do with most of those lulls and average play. For that reason, I think it's foolish to discount the various obstacles this team has had to go through. With Bradley and Wilcox still sidelined, Green recovering from surgery, and 10 new additions to the roster, Doc essentially had to incorporate a completely new team before the start of the season. Also, the rotations for the first two+ months were very inconsistent, to put it mildly. From Nov 1st to Jan 5th, the Celtics went through 9 different starting lineups, featuring a 6 game stint with Collins at center where they went 2-4. The constant change in roles (specifically for Lee/Terry) made it very difficult for both the starters and the bench to get into a groove. Once Bradley came back and the rotation was more or less set, we saw a huge improvement from the bench play and the team as a whole.

I don't ignore or dismiss the fact that Rondo had some part of the C's struggles this year, but it's not very fair to point to our W-L record without him while discounting the other circumstances surrounding the team at the time. I just don't understand why it has to be so black and white when it comes to discussing Rondo on here.
TP

Some people like to talk black and white because that is how some people think. Some people have opinions that they value highly and seek out data that they can use to support it. Unfortunately, NBA game data is messy.

Personally, I will withhold judgment until the playoffs. If we have great success in the playoffs, it will surprise me greatly and make me reconsider Rondo's value. I tend to agree with the idea that guys are playing harder to make up for Rondo's absence. My concern is that they other teams might be able to add another gear in the playoffs, while we might already be at our max. The past few years, we could count on the team improving once the playoffs came and players finally went all out.

No matter what happens, we don't know how things would have turned out with Rondo. That means arguments like this will never end.

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Fact. We win 100% of the games KG misses this year. Fact.

I hope that settles all debates.

haha...that made me laugh.  another 'we are better without rondo' post which fails to make any real point or provide any proof / stats / logical thought to backup their point.  Yawn.

I mean you realize that there is more than one person involved in a team game right??  This settles nothing.

« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2013, 01:40:40 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I stated the only relevant FACT. By the way, I love Rondo as a player, but what does that have to do with the fact that the team for this season has a better record post his injury.

'we are better without Rondo' are your words, and that is spin. There is only one FACT. We have a better record post Rondo injury than we had pre-rondo injury. Whether we are better or not is spin.

« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
as long as they know that there rationalizations and spinning will not change the FACT that the team has a better record without Rondo.
Yes, that is a fact. So what? We won the game that KG didn't play. Again, so what? We have a much better record since Sully was injured.

Does this mean that we should trade them all since the team is better without them -- despite the fact that our most effective lineups include the three of them?

It is possible that losing Rondo and his ball pounding helped integrate the new guys. If this is true, then wouldn't the ideal case be a shorter injury for Rondo so that he returns now that the new guys have gotten comfortable?

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I stated the only relevant FACT. By the way, I love Rondo as a player, but what does that have to do with the fact that the team for this season has a better record post his injury.

'we are better without Rondo' are your words, and that is spin. There is only one FACT. We have a better record post Rondo injury than we had pre-rondo injury. Whether we are better or not is spin.
What debate do you think has been settled?