Author Topic: Stats. What are they good for?  (Read 15619 times)

Re: Stats. What are they good for?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Anybody that doesn't appreciate the value of stats is [going to avoid making any personal attacks but it's such an ignorant viewpoint I feel like I need to]

Just looking at a basic box score, you can get a great feel for who the best players in the game are. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that a basic box score is far more accurate than anybody using the eye test.

Now ideally, you want to use objective and subjective analysis. But anybody ignoring stats out of fear or ignorance is missing out on a lot of knowledge about the game.

I'll agree with this. Statistics go together with watching the game to make the experience better after the fact. And it doesn't mean that you need to look at the game any differently*--I love watching Monta Ellis, for example, even though I know he's an inefficient gunner that takes way too many long 2's.

There's enough space in my brain to appreciate the beauty of a sweet 18 foot stepback and still acknowledge that it's the "worst" shot in the game of basketball--a long two, lowest percentage shot that still counts for the basic unit of points scored.

*what I really mean here is that if you're a fan of, say, Kendrick Perkins, you can still be a fan even after his stats don't wow you. That's ok.

As for best and worst stats, I've got a little bit of fluency--things like Assist Ratio, Pace, and Turnover ratio make sense to me, but I don't pay much attention to the "efficiency stats"--and not just because I like players who don't score well in that category. :)

Whoops. Meant to hit modify instead of quote. Sorry!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Anybody that doesn't appreciate the value of stats is [going to avoid making any personal attacks but it's such an ignorant viewpoint I feel like I need to]

Just looking at a basic box score, you can get a great feel for who the best players in the game are. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that a basic box score is far more accurate than anybody using the eye test.

Now ideally, you want to use objective and subjective analysis. But anybody ignoring stats out of fear or ignorance is missing out on a lot of knowledge about the game.

Nobody totally ignores stats. I'm questioning, which stats do you guys think are the best? Which are the worst? Best for calculating efficiency? Worst? etc.

Overall field goal percentage is the best for efficiency.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Nobody totally ignores stats. I'm questioning, which stats do you guys think are the best? Which are the worst? Best for calculating efficiency? Worst? etc.

For example, the problem with that (imo) is that it weighs equally open threes, contested threes, half-court heaves, fastbreak layups, dunks, turnaround fadeaway double-clutches...... I suppose eventually it equalizes but that can't be the greatest stat, TS% is a little better I suppose.

For FG%: Steve Novak's 40% on only threes would be better than some guy's 50% from only two-pointers. Easy flaw detected.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I'll agree with this. Statistics go together with watching the game to make the experience better after the fact. And it doesn't mean that you need to look at the game any differently*--I love watching Monta Ellis, for example, even though I know he's an inefficient gunner that takes way too many long 2's.

There's enough space in my brain to appreciate the beauty of a sweet 18 foot stepback and still acknowledge that it's the "worst" shot in the game of basketball--a long two, lowest percentage shot that still counts for the basic unit of points scored.

*what I really mean here is that if you're a fan of, say, Kendrick Perkins, you can still be a fan even after his stats don't wow you. That's ok.

As for best and worst stats, I've got a little bit of fluency--things like Assist Ratio, Pace, and Turnover ratio make sense to me, but I don't pay much attention to the "efficiency stats"--and not just because I like undersized gunners. :)

This is true. Lebrons stats say hes the best in the game, and he is. Still, if his team was losing that would mean absolutely nothing. That was my only point. Of course stats are useful and fun to pay attention too.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

For example, the problem with that (imo) is that it weighs equally open threes, contested threes, half-court heaves, fastbreak layups, dunks, turnaround fadeaway double-clutches...... I suppose eventually it equalizes but that can't be the greatest stat, TS% is a little better I suppose.

For FG%: Steve Novak's 40% on only threes would be better than some guy's 50% from only two-pointers. Easy flaw detected.

I think it evens itself out.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

As for best and worst stats, I've got a little bit of fluency--things like Assist Ratio, Pace, and Turnover ratio make sense to me, but I don't pay much attention to the "efficiency stats"--and not just because I like undersized gunners. :)

This is true. Lebrons stats say hes the best in the game, and he is. Still, if his team was losing that would mean absolutely nothing. That was my only point. Of course stats are useful and fun to pay attention too.
Yeah, I read a quote from Coach Pop that said something similar. I agree with about half of that sentiment.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=63357.msg1424854;topicseen#new

Well, looking at that thread, per36 stats are also not too good.

All the stats have downsides! :)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Then I have to say you're not understanding.

3PT shots and free throw percentages dramatically alter how efficient a team is. As do turnovers and offensive rebounds. Shooting percentage is the most important individual statistic, and eFG% or TS% are superior to raw FG% when it comes to shooting.

The Knicks are below average at FG% but well above average when you account for three point shots.

For most teams their eFG% and FG% end up being very close, as they are closely correlated naturally. But for plenty of teams there is a big difference due to high percentage of 3s taken or extremes in their 3PT%.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:15:02 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Then I have to say you're really bad at math.

3PT shots and free throw percentages dramatically alter how efficient a team is. As do turnovers and offensive rebounds. Shooting percentage is the most important individual statistic, and eFG% or TS% are superior to raw FG% when it comes to shooting.

The Knicks are below average at FG% but well above average when you account for three point shots.

That's what I meant when I wrote my comment.

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Then I have to say you're really bad at math.

That's what I meant when I wrote my comment.
And eFG% is a better measure of shooting percentage than raw FG%. That's what we're all saying. It dominates it because it contains more of the information that is important (how many points you're getting out of your made shots)

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Absolutely nothing.

Show me a basketball stat and I show you itīs fallacy.

The idea that we can use abstract placeholders to describe dynamic processes is theoretically feasible, but practically useless.

Games arenīt played in a vacuum.
How do you quantify experience, chemistry, KGīs will to win or the effect on your motivation a series of wins or losses have?

The only reason stats have entered basketball discussions is to have a "killer argument" if you want to justify why Player A is better or worse than Player B.

So, basically, itīs just media talk.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:03:56 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
they are interesting as hell. especially the way they're done today. some of the "less analytical" folk may disagree

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
One important caveat of sports stats - you should use them to try to understand what is going on. You should never use them to try to win a debate. You can always pick and choose stats to win a debate. Stats are extremely important to uncover our misperceptions.

In fact, we need more stats in everyday life. Most people make horrible decisions on many things because they rely on anecdote, completely oblivious to stats. We have degenerate gamblers thinking they are "due". Independent events, fool! We have people playing scratch-off lottery games every week when their paycheck comes in. We have people complaining about weather reports, completely ignorant of what it means when the weather reporter says 40% chance of rain. We have people who demand absolute answers when absolute answers are impossible.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
they are interesting as hell. especially the way they're done today. some of the "less analytical" folk may disagree

Thatīs funny.

I thought stats are for the "less analytical" folk.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
They're good for using as a litmus, (depending on the situation), for disagreement, for misleading assumptions, for confusion, and mostly for blog fodder.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *