Author Topic: Stats. What are they good for?  (Read 15708 times)

Re: Stats. What are they good for?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
EDWIN STARR
"STATS" sung as "War"

STATS, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
STATS, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
STATS, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Statistics are 100% accurate. Cuz numbers. Inferences based on those statistics vary widely. Cuz people. Science.

Yep, except that basketball statistics are not 100% accurate. Cuz people....moving people. Btw, do you know of any spacing statistics? I mean, isnīt that what most coaches design their offense for? To create space? Seems pretty important to me, yet thereīs not a single stat about that (at least none Iīm aware of).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, guys, while I appreciate all the attention Iīm getting, I really canīt reply to every single post with the attention it deserves, however snarky itīs tone might be.

So, now that we all had a good laugh at my expense, how about some of you highly-educated folks prove your reading comprehension by actually answering my question, instead of me having to argue on 7 different level?

Show me a basketball stat which actually says what it is supposed to say, maybe with a nice, short explanation how that helps anyone instead of using deduction or experience, and I will explain to you while that is not the case. It really is that simple.

TRB%: Total Rebound Percentage (available since the 1970-71 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * (TRB * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm TRB + Opp TRB)). Total rebound percentage is an estimate of the percentage of available rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor.

This stat is great because it reduces noise from inflated rebound numbers from playing in an up-tempo pace, and allows one to compare players who spend varying amounts of time on the floor (The 'Jeff Green is a good rebounder because he got 7 rebounds per game' conundrum).

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/reboundRate

Simple, easy, informative.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Statistics are 100% accurate. Cuz numbers. Inferences based on those statistics vary widely. Cuz people. Science.

Yep, except that basketball statistics are not 100% accurate. Cuz people....moving people. Btw, do you know of any spacing statistics? I mean, isnīt that what most coaches design their offense for? To create space? Seems pretty important to me, yet thereīs not a single stat about that (at least none Iīm aware of).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, guys, while I appreciate all the attention Iīm getting, I really canīt reply to every single post with the attention it deserves, however snarky itīs tone might be.

So, now that we all had a good laugh at my expense, how about some of you highly-educated folks prove your reading comprehension by actually answering my question, instead of me having to argue on 7 different level?

Show me a basketball stat which actually says what it is supposed to say, maybe with a nice, short explanation how that helps anyone instead of using deduction or experience, and I will explain to you while that is not the case. It really is that simple.

TRB%: Total Rebound Percentage (available since the 1970-71 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * (TRB * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm TRB + Opp TRB)). Total rebound percentage is an estimate of the percentage of available rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor.

This stat is great because it reduces noise from inflated rebound numbers from playing in an up-tempo pace, and allows one to compare players who spend varying amounts of time on the floor (The 'Jeff Green is a good rebounder because he got 7 rebounds per game' conundrum).

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/reboundRate

Simple, easy, informative.

Unless there's five great rebounders on a team. There are only so many rebounds to go around.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]