Author Topic: Celtics (31-27) at Sixers (23-35) 3/5  (Read 33327 times)

Celtics (31-27) at Sixers (23-35) 3/5
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (31-27) at Philadelphia 76ers (23-35)
Regular Season Game #59, Road Game #29
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
7:00 PM ET
TV: TNT, CSNNE, NBA-C
Radio:  WEEI, WPEN
Wells Fargo Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs Jrue Holiday

Shooting Guard
vs
Courtney Lee vs Royal Ivey

Small Forward
at
Paul Pierce vs Evan Turner

Power Forward
at
Brandon Bass vs Thaddeus Young   

Center
at
Kevin Garnett vs Spencer Hawes

Celtics Reserves
Jeff Green
Jason Terry
Chris Wilcox
Jordan Crawford
Shavlik Randolph
DJ White
Terrence Williams

Injuries
Jared Sullinger (back) out
Rajon Rondo (knee)  out

D-League
Fab Melo

Sixers Reserves
Damien Wilkins
LaVoy Allen
Arnett Moultrie
Kwame Brown
Charles Jenkins
Dorell Wright
Jeremy Pargo

Injuries
Andrew Bynum (knee) out
Nick Young (ankle) game time decision
Jason Richardson (knee)  out

Game Notes
The Celtics face division rivals Philadelphia 76ers for the 4th and final time.   Philly leads the series 2-1, having won one in Boston 106-100  and one at home 95-94 while the Celtics won their last meeting in Boston 92-79.   

The Celtics have changed quite a bit since that last victory over the Sixers.   They have 4 new players since the trade deadline.  Fortunately they have had some time off to run a mini training camp for the new players and hopefully we will get a look at what White and Randolph bring to the team in this game.  Hopefully it will be some much needed rebounding. 

With the playoffs approaching, every game now becomes important.  Things are tight in the conference and a loss can mean the difference between 4th seed and 8th.  The Sixers are 6.5 games behind the 8th spot and are more than likely lottery bound, but they wouldn't mind playing spoiler for the Celtics, who are sitting in the 7th spot right now, 1.5 games ahead of the Bucks and 2 games behind Atlanta, Chicago and Brooklyn for the 4th, 5th and 6th spots. 

The Celtics are 6-4 in their last 10 games while the Sixers are just 2-8 in their last 10.  They had lost 7 straight and then pulled out a win over the slumping Warriors before losing to the Wizards in their last game.  The Sixers are a decent home team with a 17-5 record while the Celtics have struggled considerably on the road with just a 10-18 record away from the Garden.   They are looking for their 3rd straight win while the Sixers are hoping to avoid another losing streak. 

The Celtics play in Indiana on Wednesday, and so hopefully they can put this game away early and get some rest for the veterans while the young guns hold the fort down the stretch. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Avery Bradley  vs Jrue Holiday
Holiday has become an all star level point guard and he is capable of putting up points in a hurry.  Bradley's defense will be important to keep the Sixers from getting into their offense and getting out on the break.

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Evan Turner
Turner is a streaky player. When he is on, he's very tough to guard.  He has given the Celtics problems in the past.   Pierce has also been up and down, dominating one game and then struggling the next. Turner is a good defender and so this would be a good time for Jeff Green to step up.

Honorable Mention

Kevin Garnett vs Spencer Hawes
Keeping Hawes from getting inside for easy baskets and rebounds will be key to stopping the Sixers. 

Keys to the Game

Defense - As always, defense is key to winning. Period.  The offense so often feeds off the defense and when they are hustling on defense, the offense seems to flow much smoother.   As the playoffs get closer,  defense becomes more and more important and the Celtics need to be more consistent in clamping down on teams. 

Rebound-  The Celtics play a lot of small ball and so it becomes important for every player to crash the boards and not leave it to just the bigs.  The Celtics have added DJ White and Shavlik Randolph to plus up the rebounding and hopefully they can contribute right away. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team.  They have to be more aggressive going to the basket, diving for loose balls, playing defense, and grabbing rebounds.  The more aggressive team will have the momentum and will get the calls.  They especially need to be aggressive in getting to the basket and not settle for outside shots the entire game. 

Ball Movement - The Celtics are at their best when they move the ball quickly up the court and also when they move the ball to find the open man.  The can't settle into over-dribbling and playing hero ball.   

X-Factors
Focus on the Road
The Celtics have struggled on the road and they must be focused on playing the right way if they want to get this win.  They can't let playing on the road distract them from playing their game.

Re: Celtics (31-27) at Sixers (23-35) 3/5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Really wish I coulda gone to this game.  Ah well, will be fun to watch at home where its not 20 degrees lol.  Should be a win, but im hoping we come out strong and dont let the sixers hang around.  Pesky turner, holiday and Hawes like to do that to us.  hoping to see more williams, Randolph and White.  Less crawford chucking up out of bound fall aways from the 4th row please ::)

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bynums not in there starting lineup yet? Huh, anyone know when hes coming back?

Bwahaha

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
should be able to chalk this one up as a win. 

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
should be able to chalk this one up as a win.

You can never chalk any game up as a win, not with this team. We should win tho.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i expect a celtics win here.

thanks for the thread flcelticsfan. tp for your great work.

go celtics!!!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Keep the momentum going.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
celtics are not consistent , this game could just as easily turn out to be a loss

if they win,  be sure it won't be easy

green and KG need to play big

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They are starting Royal Ivey head of Dorell Wright?

Oh man, yuck. That would drive me insane if I were a Sixers fan.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Bwahaha
(from HoopsHype)
Philadelphia 76ers general manager Tony DiLeo said that Andrew Bynum is considering arthroscopic surgery on his balky knees and that the organization has yet to decide whether to attempt to sign the one-time All-Star center once he becomes a free agent after this season. Arthroscopic surgery to clean the loose cartilage out of Bynum's knees would ensure he does not play for the Sixers this season. Philadelphia entered Sunday night's contest trailing Milwaukee by 5½ games for the eighth and final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference with 25 games to play. USA Today Sports

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Bwahaha

You didn't hear?  It was just discovered that both Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum were horribly-gone-wrong attempts at cloning Sam Bowie.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:50:59 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Royal Ivey sounds like a British country mansion.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:02:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Royal Ivey sounds like a British country mansion.

or a men's  body wash

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Bwahaha
(from HoopsHype)
Philadelphia 76ers general manager Tony DiLeo said that Andrew Bynum is considering arthroscopic surgery on his balky knees and that the organization has yet to decide whether to attempt to sign the one-time All-Star center once he becomes a free agent after this season. Arthroscopic surgery to clean the loose cartilage out of Bynum's knees would ensure he does not play for the Sixers this season. Philadelphia entered Sunday night's contest trailing Milwaukee by 5½ games for the eighth and final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference with 25 games to play. USA Today Sports

Yeah, getting 'scoped would kill Bynum's season.

Which I have absolutely no problem with, both because I sincerely hope he recovers and because this season is pretty much lost for the Sixers anyway.

Also, this is the first Celtics game I've actually been able to watch (rather than follow the threads/box score) in three months, so I'm really interested to see the non-Rondo C's in action.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Hey, tonight's game is on TNT at 7! my favorite time to watch on national television
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"