Author Topic: The NBA's top 10 PG's according to SI (Rondo is number 6)  (Read 24161 times)

The NBA's top 10 PG's according to SI (Rondo is number 6)
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
6. Rajon Rondo, Celtics

Stats: 13.7 PPG, 11.1 APG, 5.6 RPG, 1.8 SPG, 3.9 TO, 48.4 FG%, 24.0 3P%, 18.3 PER, 37.4 MPG

It’s an unwritten rule on the Internet that you must use the word “enigma” to describe Rondo, so I’ll get it out of the way early. He’s an enigma. Look no further than Lee Jenkins’ recent story on him in Sports Illustrated — in which the 27-year-old explains why he feels the need to dominate children at Connect Four — to immerse yourself in his weirdness. We’re past the point of expecting Rondo to bend to our collective desires, which include developing a reliable jump shot, being more selfish in looking to score in certain situations, and adopting a friendlier approach to referees who draw his ire.

Before his season-ending knee injury, Rondo was leading the NBA in assists per game for the second straight season and he’s usually among the league leaders in steals, due to his quick hands and willingness to gamble when he’s off the ball. Blessed with great vision and a preternatural feel for timing, spacing and opponent tendencies, Rondo is an artist when it comes to plays with a high degree of difficulty.

His habit of rising to the moment in big games and playing well on national television is well established and was never made clearer than in the 2012 Eastern Conference finals when he outdueled LeBron James at times and put up a whopping 44 points in Game 2. Rondo, unlike all but one other point guard on this list, owns a championship ring, but he will return from his injury with the aging Celtics facing a transition period (or having already undergone one). He will also face a simple question: Is he the right type of player to lead a rebuilding/reloading effort or does his skill set require greatness — or at the very least proven veterans — around him?

http://nba.si.com/2013/03/02/top-ten-point-guards-chris-paul-tony-parker-russell-westbrook-kyrie-irving-derrick-rose/?sct=uk_t12_a1
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: The NBA's top 10 PG's according to SI (Rondo is number 6)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I just don't get how you can have the league leader for Assists that high (or low, either way you say it) if we are ranking the PG position.

Oh well though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:03:57 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I just don't get how you can have the league leader for Assists that high (or low, either way you say it) if we are ranking the PG position.

Oh well though.

Poor FG shooter,, shaq-like FT shooter. He's a liability in the 4th, where the others are assets.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:25:41 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment, both of Rondo's game and the top PG's in the league right now. I can see the arguement for Kyrie over Rondo (even though I'm obviously predisposed to swap the two), and I might have even slid D Rose down to number 5/4 depending on what kind of Rondo we're getting on any given night.

Westbrook, Parker, and Paul are definitely the best PG's playing this season right now, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Derrick Rose needs a huge asterisk, but considering he's a former MVP, don't care about it.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Derrick Rose needs a huge asterisk, but considering he's a former MVP, don't care about it.

That was my first thought, but he's still only 24--which is absolutely mind boggling.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Oh well though.

Poor FG shooter,, shaq-like FT shooter. He's a liability in the 4th, where the others are assets.

I know your song and dance by this point, thanks though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

That was my first thought, but he's still only 24--which is absolutely mind boggling.

yeah I forget how young he is. Pretty scary
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Oh well though.

A liability in the 4th?

Thats pretty strong. Maybe at times in certain possessions but overall he is certainly an assett in the 4th. He's had plenty of big 4th quarter games.

Yes when our offense gets stagnant at times he struggles but he has some of the best handle in the game and can place the ball perfectly in a shooters hands
. He's generated at least a handful of game winning assists and buckets just off the top of my head

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Oh well though.

He's not that poor a fg shooter and he's not a liability in the 4th. The other guys probably outscore him but he's generally at the top of the league in clutch time assists and he probably out rebounds most if not all of them late in games. He also scores more late in games than he used to.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Shouldn't Rondo then get the same asterisk?

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
PG has become one of the strongest positions in the NBA (thanks a lot in part to rules changes)

You can argue Ronde higher and lower on this list depending on the season.  (same with most of the PG save Paul)

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Oh well though.

He's not that poor a fg shooter and he's not a liability in the 4th. The other guys probably outscore him but he's generally at the top of the league in clutch time assists and he probably out rebounds most if not all of them late in games. He also scores more late in games than he used to.

Yeah, that midrange jumper has helped him become much more effective during crunch time.  It's opened up lanes to drive that weren't there before.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Oh well though.

Rondo Career fg%: 48%

Chris Paul: 47%

Westbrook: 43%

Kyrie Irving: 475

Rose: 46%

Tony Parker : 49%

Seems like his FG% is on par with these guys.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
the poor FG thing is not real, though. doesn't rondo have one of the highest FG percentages for PGs? doesn't he also shoot a better % on jumpers than most PGs (at least in the past season or two)? hasn't he completely taken over key games in the 4th quarter and OT, particularly in the playoffs? i get the criticism re: his FT %, but the 4th quarter and FG % issue are completely wrong. also, yeah, i think we really need to define what we want from a PG. b/c westbrook and irving, for instance, are phenomenal scorers, but do not control the game and are not playmakers in the same way cp3 and rondo are.