Author Topic: White Randolph Williams Playing Time Problems With Doc Rivers (NO DNP)  (Read 16344 times)

Re: White Randolph Williams Playing Time Problems With Doc Rivers (NO DNP)
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Im struggling to see what the obsession is with complaining about no minutes being given to garbage players.

They don't play because they're not as good at basketball as our current guys and they don't know our system....pretty simple.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Im struggling to see what the obsession is with complaining about no minutes being given to garbage players.

They don't play because they're not as good at basketball as our current guys and they don't know our system....pretty simple.

New toys are fun to play with I guess? (even if you know they're kinda lame, there is the novelty)
Yup

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:26 AM »

Offline yagru

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
the problem is you never know when your gonna need these guys for a few minutes.. its better to get them acclimated now then throw them in there when it could really hurt you. They also have decent size and i think we'd all like to see if they can help.

if we dont see them on nights against philly then yeah i doubt we are gonna see much of them, if at all

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think Doc Rivers takes the reasonable stance of not trying to work on too many projects at the same time.  Since Crawford and Williams are the ones signed beyond this season (and also the more talented), it makes sense that Doc work on them first and try to get them to play his way and integrate them into the rotation.  Once he's figured out how much he wants to play with those toys, he can move onto the next two.

Until Doc is to that point, then White and Randolph might be used situationally, perhaps only against teams where he thinks smallball is never a viable option.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 01:06:31 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
meanwhile in Houston Tim Ohlbrecht is smiling. ;D

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

yah, he even gets a playing time

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:20 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Can't have the new guys fumble away the lead on the first night of a back to back.

Usually I'm critical of Doc but I think he's been doing a good job, especially after Rondo went down.

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 02:04:06 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney

Can't have the new guys fumble away the lead on the first night of a back to back.

Usually I'm critical of Doc but I think he's been doing a good job, especially after Rondo went down.
i get that doc is a don't fix if it's not broke guy, but hey you can't really tell if the new (big) guy sucks until you try. but i know that that is not doc's strong suit so i understand. maybe we can see them play against the bobcats. :D

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 02:13:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
but hey you can't really tell if the new (big) guy sucks until you try.

Not true.  Pretty sure some discerning folks could tell that Fab Melo wasn't ready before he was tried in a NBA game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 02:21:49 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum

Not true.  Pretty sure some discerning folks could tell that Fab Melo wasn't ready before he was tried in a NBA game.

not true?
so you mean randolph and white are not nba ready? like fab melo?

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

not true?

I'm saying it is possible to tell if they are without sticking them in a game.  There are legitimate reasons for not playing White/Randolph immediately, even if they don't suck.  I disagree with the notion some have that you should just throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks because you are unhappy with the current state of the Celtics big man rotation.

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum

not true?

I'm saying it is possible to tell if they are without sticking them in a game.  There are legitimate reasons for not playing White/Randolph immediately, even if they don't suck.  I disagree with the notion some have that you should just throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks because you are unhappy with the current state of the Celtics big man rotation.

here is one point here
randolph and white haven't played yet given a 10 days contract, after 10days? what now? another 10 days? and just sit there and do nothing? then after that released? then a new guy comes and sit on the bench again?
if you want this guys to learn the system or see what they can do used them now....
but if you don't used them released them... lets try 7'2 haddadi or someone

PLAYOFFS IS COMING TO TIME TO SIGN AND RELEASED PLAYERS

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney

not true?

here is one point here
randolph and white haven't played yet given a 10 days contract, after 10days? what now? another 10 days? and just sit there and do nothing? then after that released? then a new guy comes and sit on the bench again?
if you want this guys to learn the system or see what they can do used them now....

perhaps they should just change the name to 10 day practice contract in boston. but knowing doc genius i'm not really surprise how things are turning out with our signings.

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:54 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Do doc and Danny ever communicate about this stuff or does Danny just throw money out the window while doc is clueless?

Danny:   Why didn't you play the two new guys?

Doc:  whatta u mean, I play bass and Terry all the time.

10 day contracts expire

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
here is one point here

You do the same thing you do with any other player.  You make them earn playing time.  You don't treat them as if they are entitled to playing time just because they are on the roster.

Of course, it may just be that Philly was an opposing team that was ideal for Doc to run with a smallball lineup and he will make less use of Green at the 4 against Indiana.