Author Topic: Randolph signed to second ten-day  (Read 2079 times)

Randolph signed to second ten-day
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
The Boston Celtics inked forward Shavlik Randolph to a second 10-day contract on Monday.

Randolph, a 6-10 forward, signed with the Celtics after playing in the Chinese Basketball Association at the start of the season. He has yet to appear in a game for Boston. In 28 games for the Foshan Long Lions, Randolph averaged 32 points and 14.6 rebounds over 36.5 minutes per game.

Boston also signed forward D.J. White to a second 10-day deal on Sunday giving the team an extra couple weeks to evaluate both big men and whether they will stick on the final roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4703140/cs-sign-randolph-to-another-10-day-deal

I really don't know much about him, so I really don't know where/how he fits. But, he'll probably be a Sean Williams.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Randolph signed to second ten-day
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This is unsurprising.  I think White may get some playing time against teams where Doc thinks smallball isn't a good idea or when the team has foul/injury troubles.  Maybe Randolph can take that time away from White, but I don't think both of them play unless it is garbage time or bigs are missing games.

At this point, Randolph is probably playing for a shot to show that he is a better option than a decrepit veteran for next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was looking at his stats in China earlier today and was shocked by them.

36.5mpg = 32ppg, 13.6rpg, 53% FG% and 34.4% on threes taking just under 5 three point attempts per game (125 in 28 games).

I was shocked at the three point shooting. The player I remember couldn't even make a jump-shot last time around in the NBA. Now he has legitimate three point range. Impressive.

For comparison, DJ White was putting up 21.6ppg and 9.7rpg in 33mpg on 56% shooting. His team won just under a third of their games for a 14th place finish while S.Randolph's was just under .500 and finished 11th in a 17 team league. So S.Randolph had much better stats + better team record + and he has a brand new jump-shot with three point range on it.

My expectations for S.Randolph are still very low but a little higher than they were. I like that improved jumper. I think it gives him a chance at getting back into the league. Maybe S.Randolph can be a Harangody type player.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Great job , signing our #1 cheerleader.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I was shocked at the three point shooting. The player I remember couldn't even make a jump-shot last time around in the NBA. Now he has legitimate three point range. Impressive.
Legitimate FIBA three point range. Still something, I guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Call me crazy but, I think this guy will have a good impact when called upon, or if god forbid someone goes down.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well come playoff time we need SOMEONE 6'10" or bigger to at the least play 5-10 minutes and give some fouls/stop drives.  We currently employ mr Garnett and mr Wilcox.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
This guy averaged 31 ppg in a professional league featuring a lot of players with NBA experience.  I remember when prople laughed at Big Al out of high school because he averaged 42 ppg in a small Mississippi high school league.

Give him a chance over White

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Well come playoff time we need SOMEONE 6'10" or bigger to at the least play 5-10 minutes and give some fouls/stop drives.  We currently employ mr Garnett and mr Wilcox.

I don't think it's an absolute need.  The team could use a big who can give 5-10 minutes if Wilcox or Bass run into foul trouble, but I don't think that player has to be 6'10" or bigger to be effective.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 01:28:53 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
blame it all on doc rivers