Author Topic: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo  (Read 19689 times)

Another win w/o a pouting Rondo
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Amazing Celtics. They are definitely a force of sorts if they can keep the core healthy. Green has been showing signs of coming out of his year off slumber. I'll leave it to the Purists to determine his real value to the position. Right now he's becoming a force for us. I really enjoy them w/o Rondo. He was a drag on the team mentally. I know for sure if he were ready today Doc would start him and we'd fall back into the Black Hole again. Take your time Rondo......

Rondo:I don't think he was ever reigned in enough. Doc let him run wild. Under different supervision he'd be one of the top 5 point guards in the NBA.

Re: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If you really think this team is better without Rondo you're fooling yourself... This is a league of stars, we'll see if there's a thread like this in the playoffs

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If my KG-hurts-the-team satire thread got locked, then this one better get locked too.

It seems like people on this blog pout a lot more than Rondo ever did.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
If you really think this team is better without Rondo you're fooling yourself... This is a league of stars, we'll see if there's a thread like this in the playoffs

This league is a league of stars. That being said, you can't just stick any star on any team and expect them to be magically better. Unless that star is on the level of lebron james or kevin durant. Some guys playing styles just don't fit well with certain teams. Not saying rondo doesn't fit with this team *Debatable* I'm just saying.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I still think rondo will be missed in the playoffs but if jeff green can play like an allstar we have a shot.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
What's our record without Rondo?  I have always said I'd wait the 38 games plus the playoffs to evaluate but it can't be ignored that a case is being made.  And again, its not about dumping rondo for nothing.  Honestly, I wish that DA could have any of the speculated deals using rondo before now.  I think he knew this all along.  Can you imagine having Curry on this team?

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
TO the OP:  Did you start threads like this when the Celtics were losing to Charlotte and Portland? Boston is winning their home games without Rondo.  NBA teams win home games.  Boston is 3-4 on the road since he went down, and probably would have won in Portland and Charlotte with Rondo healthy.

This whole "Rondo Pouting" stuff is foolishness.  The guy is great at running a team.  Now that he's not there, others are expanding their role and the Celtics are winning games.  If these players took it upon themselves to be more active, instead of waiting for Rondo to set the table for them, they would have been winning with Rondo.

One thing I do agree with the Rondo critics is that he wasn't held to a high standard defensively in the regular season. Pressuring the ball defensively has been a key reason why the Celtics have been winning.  Maybe when Rondo returns, he and Doc will have a different perspective on how much energy he can expend on the defensive end and still run the team.     

The regular season is a marathon, and teams, good and bad, go on runs, based on schedule, health, etc.  Let's see how the Cs do in a playoff series before we make and grand pronouncements about how the Celtics are better off without Rajon Rondo. 

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you think we are a better team without Rondo, I have some moon real estate for sale real cheap...

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Amazing Celtics. They are definitely a force of sorts if they can keep the core healthy. Green has been showing signs of coming out of his year off slumber. I'll leave it to the Purists to determine his real value to the position. Right now he's becoming a force for us. I really enjoy them w/o Rondo. He was a drag on the team mentally. I know for sure if he were ready today Doc would start him and we'd fall back into the Black Hole again. Take your time Rondo......

Rondo:I don't think he was ever reigned in enough. Doc let him run wild. Under different supervision he'd be one of the top 5 point guards in the NBA.

You don't think he is currently in the top 5? I always wonder about these skewed visions of Rondo. How quickly people forget...

Just because other players finally stepped up and are playing better [Green - who is coming off of a life threatening situation and Bradley - who had just come back before Rondo went down], doesn't mean that we are better without him. It just doesn't make any sense.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, hopefully we'd fall back into the black hole of game 7 of the finals and game 7 of the ecf the last 2 years he was healthy. Although from your perspective I can see why all those playoff wins don't have the cachet of a run of decent play in the middle of a season.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What's our record without Rondo?  I have always said I'd wait the 38 games plus the playoffs to evaluate but it can't be ignored that a case is being made.  And again, its not about dumping rondo for nothing.  Honestly, I wish that DA could have any of the speculated deals using rondo before now.  I think he knew this all along.  Can you imagine having Curry on this team?

The evaluation of the team shouldn't end when the playoffs start, it should begin when the playoffs start.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
TO the OP:  Did you start threads like this when the Celtics were losing to Charlotte and Portland? Boston is winning their home games without Rondo.  NBA teams win home games.  Boston is 3-4 on the road since he went down, and probably would have won in Portland and Charlotte with Rondo healthy.

This whole "Rondo Pouting" stuff is foolishness.  The guy is great at running a team.  Now that he's not there, others are expanding their role and the Celtics are winning games.  If these players took it upon themselves to be more active, instead of waiting for Rondo to set the table for them, they would have been winning with Rondo.

One thing I do agree with the Rondo critics is that he wasn't held to a high standard defensively in the regular season. Pressuring the ball defensively has been a key reason why the Celtics have been winning.  Maybe when Rondo returns, he and Doc will have a different perspective on how much energy he can expend on the defensive end and still run the team.     

The regular season is a marathon, and teams, good and bad, go on runs, based on schedule, health, etc.  Let's see how the Cs do in a playoff series before we make and grand pronouncements about how the Celtics are better off without Rajon Rondo.

Definitely wouldn't say PROBABLY. Also that's not their fault. Rondo and doc both demand the ball to be in rondos hands like 95 percent of the time. He calls for the ball the very second someone gets a rebound. Also rondo is known for feeding pierce and KG and sometimes looking past the other guys.

You see it all the time with the lakers. When kobe starts holding the ball and shot jacking the other guys tend to just stand around. You ever try playing basketball with a ball hog? Its not fun. There's no doubt in my mind this team would be better if rondo was healthy and didn't hold the ball every possession for 20 seconds looking for an assist.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
We will need a lot of our guys to "play over their heads" in the playoffs...without Rondo and Sully.

Sorry, but that's just them apples.

I am still pushing and rooting for the team to win it all and I believe they can do it...that's just the nature of a die hard fan.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Definitely wouldn't say PROBABLY. Also that's not their fault. Rondo and doc both demand the ball to be in rondos hands like 95 percent of the time. He calls for the ball the very second someone gets a rebound. Also rondo is known for feeding pierce and KG and sometimes looking past the other guys.

You see it all the time with the lakers. When kobe starts holding the ball and shot jacking the other guys tend to just stand around. You ever try playing basketball with a ball hog? Its not fun. There's no doubt in my mind this team would be better if rondo was healthy and didn't hold the ball every possession for 20 seconds looking for an assist.

Did you just try to compare Rondo, one of the two best set up PGs in the league, to Kobe when he jacks up 28 shots and freezes out the rest of his teammates?   That's lunacy.  A PG focusing too much on setting teammates is a lot different than a gunner hoisting up shot after shot while his teammates stand around.

If you want to argue that the Cs being to Rondo-centric hurt the team because they were easier to defend, because everyone wasn't as engaged as all around players, maybe I'll buy into that, but saying the Celtics players were being freezed out when on the floor with a guy who could get them the ball at any time, better than any other player in the entire league, save CP3, is lunacy. 

I've played with ball hogs, and I've played with pass first set up PGs.  I hated playing with a ball hog, but if he were on, I'd make sure to set picks for him and if he was off, I'd hit the offensive glass.  With the pass hungry PG, I'd make sure I was ready for the ball at all times. Players need to be MORE engaged with Rondo, lest a pass will hit them in the face.     

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Rondo is becoming one of the most underrated Celtics of all time