Author Topic: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo  (Read 19835 times)

Re: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All players are flawed even the all time greats have flaws in their game. (Aside from the Big O triple double year.)

Anyone who thinks Sebastian Telfair would have lead us a ring with the 08 squad or we would have won that without RR is a fool.

We are not a better team without Rondo.   We won some meaningless games in the middle of the season.   Maybe if these guys had played with a sense of urgency earlier in the year we would not be were we are at.   RR had a ton of big games this year.

Rondo has more trade value than Bradley and PP I'd say right now.  Hates are always going to hate it clouds their logic.   We go on a six game win streak and we are a better team.   RR made the all star team the other guys did not save KG.

Rondo had the ball more than PJ Brown that is absurd.  Too bad you don't have demonstrate minimal basketball knowledge to post here because the Op would not make the cut....

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
When he comes back he MUST recognize that some of his decisions were in fact holding back his teammates. He has to be more open to moving the ball around... not to mention gutting it out and locking down defensively like he used to do.

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
When he comes back he MUST recognize that some of his decisions were in fact holding back his teammates. He has to be more open to moving the ball around... not to mention gutting it out and locking down defensively like he used to do.

Good Point.

Even makes me wonder a bit about these Ray Allen-Rondo incidents....

Rondo is a GREAT player, even now.. I love the guy...like you I hope he is paying attention to what's going on.

No matter how good players think they are - they CAN get better, look at Kobe's transformation with Nash.

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
...Against a team that's gone 3-7 their last 10 games, at home.

I find it ironic how some people say that people who believe that the Celtics will have a tough time in the playoffs don't care about the team, but then make these kinds of posts bashing someone who is part of this team and has played his heart out for this team.

When Rondo went down I was devastated but I thought that at least this kind of stuff would die down. Guess not. Face it, Rondo is not getting traded while he's hurt and it'll be months until he can play again, so let's just focus on the team right now and enjoy these wins without needlessly attacking him.

Besides, everything that is to be said has been said and these threads pretty much just repeat the same stuff every time. So give it a rest.

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
There was obvious evidence to the Missing #1 point guard...PP caught with the ball in bad spots often, stolen ball on the way up the floor, no one cutting, settling for jump shots for a long 3rd quarter.....weak passing, many turnovers..no one able to bring the ball up the floor....sure, Ronod had some fualts, ones i am sure he has seen and is fixing....as he did his shooting...hold ALL to these standards you hold Rondo to...then you will see his value and contributions....! They needed 5-6 guys to replace him.....!

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
How many times do I have to write:

It was a pure coincidence that the 2013 Celtics emerged right at the time Rondo get injured. I want to see what the Celtics would be like with Rajon Rondo playing.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
How many times do I have to write:

It was a pure coincidence that the 2013 Celtics emerged right at the time Rondo get injured. I want to see what the Celtics would be like with Rajon Rondo playing.
me too..bradley added a lot...but he cannot replace rondo, they are meant to compliment each other, and do so VERY well..!!!

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
TP to the original poster.  This team plays so much better without Rondo.

I have a question for those out there who say this team needs Rondo so badly

How many championships did Rondo ever win for the Celtics, if he is so valuable?

And 2008 doesn't count because I think PJ Brown who was their 3rd back up center played more of a role in the team going all the way than Rondo did.

When did Avery Bradley win us a championship?  Jeff Green?  Glen Davis?  Nate Robinson? Kendrick Perkins?  Courtney Lee?  Jason Terry?  Greg Stiemsma?  Marquis Daniels?  What about these guys?  Why the hell didn't they win us a championship?

This "Rondo makes us worse" thing is insane.  I'd love to pull up these threads when we get bounced in the first or second round.

To those who say Rondo is a ball hog who hurts our offense: You know what isn't going to be fun?  Watching our team unable to score against Miami, Chicago, Indiana, or any other team we may face in the playoffs who cares even a lick about defense.

After that, we'll see a bunch of, "Oh, man, if only we had Rondo, one of the few guys in the league capable of breaking down elite defenses."  And the best part: many of those posts will be coming from people. Who say we're better without Rondo.

This is disgusting.

Oh, oh, pick me pick me! Because those guys are role players.

So if we're talking about stars, then how come Ray, Paul, and KG don't get the blame for not winning us championships in 2009, 2010, 2011, and last year?  Is it all Rondo's fault?

Well, of course it is.  Because, you know, Rondo hold the ball way too much.

Wait a minute!  Rondo is considered one of the best passers in the league and is great at getting teammates involved!

No, you're wrong, alter ego, because Rondo is a ball hog because I've watched him hold the ball for 20 seconds a couple times a game.

But, wait!  Carmelo, LeBron, Durant, and Kobe do that, so why don't they get criticized?

Because it's Rondo, and our record happened to be pretty bad with him, and it's slightly improved without him, so it's obviously HIS fault.  It is ALL Rondo's fault.

By the way LSS, I'm guessing you don't have an answer for the rest of my original post, so I'll just go on to the next Rondo critic.

You're talking to the wrong guy. I blame everyone that deserves blame. I'm one of the few guys on here that doesn't fanboy it up to ANYONE. Doc pierce KG idc. If they are hurting the team Ill call it.

Claiming that you're not a fanboy doesn't magically add any accuracy to your opinions. It's admirable that you can be critical enough of Rondo to say that his having the ball so much hurts the team. But that doesn't change the fact that our best offensive play over the last few years (including this year) has come with Rondo controlling the ball on offense and "hunting for assists". In the grand scheme of things reconciling the fact that our best offense comes with Rondo controlling the ball with your claim that his controlling the ball hurts the team would go farther than insulting the people who point out the flaws in your analysis.

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Sigh..... the grass is always greener.

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

How many championships did Rondo ever win for the Celtics, if he is so valuable?

And 2008 doesn't count because I think PJ Brown who was their 3rd back up center played more of a role in the team going all the way than Rondo did.

When did Avery Bradley win us a championship?  Jeff Green?  Glen Davis?  Nate Robinson? Kendrick Perkins?  Courtney Lee?  Jason Terry?  Greg Stiemsma?  Marquis Daniels?  What about these guys?  Why the hell didn't they win us a championship?

This "Rondo makes us worse" thing is insane.  I'd love to pull up these threads when we get bounced in the first or second round.

To those who say Rondo is a ball hog who hurts our offense: You know what isn't going to be fun?  Watching our team unable to score against Miami, Chicago, Indiana, or any other team we may face in the playoffs who cares even a lick about defense.

After that, we'll see a bunch of, "Oh, man, if only we had Rondo, one of the few guys in the league capable of breaking down elite defenses."  And the best part: many of those posts will be coming from people. Who say we're better without Rondo.

This is disgusting.

So if we're talking about stars, then how come Ray, Paul, and KG don't get the blame for not winning us championships in 2009, 2010, 2011, and last year?  Is it all Rondo's fault?

Wait a minute!  Rondo is considered one of the best passers in the league and is great at getting teammates involved!

No, you're wrong, alter ego, because Rondo is a ball hog because I've watched him hold the ball for 20 seconds a couple times a game.

But, wait!  Carmelo, LeBron, Durant, and Kobe do that, so why don't they get criticized?

Because it's Rondo, and our record happened to be pretty bad with him, and it's slightly improved without him, so it's obviously HIS fault.  It is ALL Rondo's fault.

By the way LSS, I'm guessing you don't have an answer for the rest of my original post, so I'll just go on to the next Rondo critic.

You're talking to the wrong guy. I blame everyone that deserves blame. I'm one of the few guys on here that doesn't fanboy it up to ANYONE. Doc pierce KG idc. If they are hurting the team Ill call it.

Claiming that you're not a fanboy doesn't magically add any accuracy to your opinions. It's admirable that you can be critical enough of Rondo to say that his having the ball so much hurts the team. But that doesn't change the fact that our best offensive play over the last few years (including this year) has come with Rondo controlling the ball on offense and "hunting for assists". In the grand scheme of things reconciling the fact that our best offense comes with Rondo controlling the ball with your claim that his controlling the ball hurts the team would go farther than insulting the people who point out the flaws in your analysis.

I'm done going in circles with you. No matter how much better or worse we look with rondo, no matter how much we win or lose without him, no matter how much better or worse people look playing beside him, none of that matters. You will defend rondo to the grave and you have made that extremely clear.

Therefore I see no point in going back and forth with you. You like to pull up numbers when they back your stance but ignore them when they don't. I use the eye test first then I resort to numbers. This team *This year* plays better when rondo doesn't dominate the ball, my eyes tell me that and our record tells me that.

I remember awhile back lebron had a triple double in a playoff game. If you just look at the numbers you'd say well, lebron played great. If you actually watch the game you would know that was the most irrelevant triple double ever and wasn't the case. Numbers only tell so much of the story. Watching the games and wins and losses tell more than any statistical number you bring up. So with that said, I'm done here.

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I just think that - even with all of Rondo's gifts - he is not perfect...no player is.

But we STILL have a gift in Rajon Rondo.

Poster "Who" posted a comment from Andre Iguodala (can't find it for the life of me) giving him much praise.

Even Kobe Bryant listed Rondo as one of his faves...

http://celticshub.com/2013/02/07/kobe-bryant-loves-rajon-rondo/

You don’t want Rondo? Send him my way,” Kobe declared. “I love everything about him. Everything. I love his attitude, I love his chippiness, his edge, his intellect, his know-it-allness. All of it. That’s what makes championship players.

“What guard have you seen at his size that will get you 18 assists, 17 boards and 20 points all in one game? That’s unheard of. I love that kid. I always make a point of talking to him during All-Star [Weekend]. He’s one of my favorites.”

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

This is disgusting.

I'm done going in circles with you. No matter how much better or worse we look with rondo, no matter how much we win or lose without him, no matter how much better or worse people look playing beside him, none of that matters. You will defend rondo to the grave and you have made that extremely clear.

Therefore I see no point in going back and forth with you. You like to pull up numbers when they back your stance but ignore them when they don't. I use the eye test first then I resort to numbers. This team *This year* plays better when rondo doesn't dominate the ball, my eyes tell me that and our record tells me that.

I remember awhile back lebron had a triple double in a playoff game. If you just look at the numbers you'd say well, lebron played great. If you actually watch the game you would know that was the most irrelevant triple double ever and wasn't the case. Numbers only tell so much of the story. Watching the games and wins and losses tell more than any statistical number you bring up. So with that said, I'm done here.

I totally agree with this point.  In fact, I take it a step further and rarely look at those advanced stats and such for two reasons:

1.  I don't really understand them

2.  Once you start using them, I feel like you end up over-analyzing stuff about players.

The eye test has always been the route for me.

To connect this to the argument about Rondo: When I watch this team (since January 25, the day Rondo tore his ACL), they do play well, no question about it.  The ball moves, the defense is there, and guys are thriving in their roles; however, the Playoffs are a whole other beast, and that's when we'll miss Rondo most.

There are junctures in these past 15 or so games when we struggled to create offense.  Unsurprisingly, these junctures appear when the game is winding down, and usually end in pretty bad shot-selection (the ol' Pierce iso mainly).  So while we may be playing well right now, I think people should lower their expectations when the postseason rolls around, because that's when ALL of us (Rondo detractors, Rondo fanboys, and whatever's in between) will truly appreciate what Rondo does for this team.

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This is disgusting.

In other words no explanation of why your opinion might be off, just attacking me for disagreeing with you. I use the eye test just as much as you do. Stats frequently back up what I see, if they don't I generally look for a reason for that, either limitations in what they measure or other factors effecting the game.

What I've seen from the team since Rondo went out is that the offense hasn't been great but our defense has been much more consistent. The players seem more focused and aggressive but more importantly the new players seem to understand their roles better and there are significantly fewer missed rotations compared to earlier this year.

It's true that we're playing our best ball of the season recently. Our defense is playing like a top 2-3 defense and our offense is a little below average. When the season started our offense (with Rondo dominating the ball) was a top 10 offense but our defense was in the bottom third of the league. I fail to see how the team playing better defense and worse offense is proof that Rondo controlling the ball was the source of our woes.

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Edit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:18:28 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
lol, why a thread like this after every win? It is getting tired. Why not focus on the current guys on the team. It's like Rondo still makes the team relevant even when he is not playing. Focus on the guys playing for a change.

I agree. Go grind your anti-rondo ax somewhere else.  These 'we are better w/out Rondo' threads are so uninformed and reactionary.  Just silly.