Author Topic: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo  (Read 19829 times)

Re: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
That post, including the phrase "Dennis Johnson mediocre point guard"  has to go into a top ten post hall of shame here.

Its was nice to have a reason to think about how great he was again. I was usually begging for him to take the last shot, as he was as fearless and clutch as Larry. I loved those line drive jumpers that would rattle down in the last few minutes of the game. Probably nearly as great a defender as Chaney who I'd have on a first team all defense team. And lead a Sonics team to a title before getting to Boston, averaging 23-6-6 for the series. And named Finals MVP

My positioning DJ as mediocre was wrong. Upgraded to *Good*

Now, DJ as clutch as LB, not in a lifetime!

DJ was a great clutch player who's deservedly in the hall of fame. He was significantly better than you think he was.

I'll second this -- DJ was not good, he was great. And he was insanely clutch.  He was the quintessential guy who was a mediocre shooter/scorer EXCEPT when it mattered.  With the game was on the line, he was as good as it gets.

I disagree with Tim on almost everything political -- but almost always agree with him regarding basketball.  Not sure what to make of that.  TP Tim.

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That post, including the phrase "Dennis Johnson mediocre point guard"  has to go into a top ten post hall of shame here.

Its was nice to have a reason to think about how great he was again. I was usually begging for him to take the last shot, as he was as fearless and clutch as Larry. I loved those line drive jumpers that would rattle down in the last few minutes of the game. Probably nearly as great a defender as Chaney who I'd have on a first team all defense team. And lead a Sonics team to a title before getting to Boston, averaging 23-6-6 for the series. And named Finals MVP

My positioning DJ as mediocre was wrong. Upgraded to *Good*

Now, DJ as clutch as LB, not in a lifetime!

DJ was a great clutch player who's deservedly in the hall of fame. He was significantly better than you think he was.

I'll second this -- DJ was not good, he was great. And he was insanely clutch.  He was the quintessential guy who was a mediocre shooter/scorer EXCEPT when it mattered.  With the game was on the line, he was as good as it gets.

I disagree with Tim on almost everything political -- but almost always agree with him regarding basketball.  Not sure what to make of that.  TP Tim.

At least we agree on the important stuff, starting with supporting the right team.

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
DJ..in the right place, at the right time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlmRIoHxPC8

"Steal by Bird....PASS TO DJ who lays it up and in...OH MY"...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY_4v2FkyUA

"DJ's one of the best players I ever played with"....Larry.

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
The term Great has been way overused by soft generations. The Halls of Fame's should be renamed Halls of Shame's, because there's enough no shows in them to warrant the name. Dennis Johnson an equal to Magic, Cousy etc., is a joke.

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The term Great has been way overused by soft generations. The Halls of Fame's should be renamed Halls of Shame's, because there's enough no shows in them to warrant the name. Dennis Johnson an equal to Magic, Cousy etc., is a joke.

If you limit the hall to players on Magic's level you'd have fewer than 20 players in the hall.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:06:29 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:26 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
The championship season was really Sam Cassell & Eddie House running the point.

This might be the most ludicrous thing I've read on this forum.  I'm no Rondo apologist, but seriously.

« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This might be the most ludicrous thing I've read on this forum.  I'm no Rondo apologist, but seriously.

Haha yeah that is quite hilarious.

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Haha yeah that is quite hilarious.

Rondo criticism officially jumping the shark.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Look, let's just put all of this to rest via the Great Dr. Seuss with  poem: ;D

-I would not trade Rondo for Green Eggs and Ham-

I would not trade Rondo for Green Eggs and Ham

I would not trade him, Sam I Am

I would not trade him for a flake

I would not trade him for Blake

I would not trade him for Russell

I would not trade him because of his hustle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32MjBkENi3M

I would not trade him for Rose

I would not trade him, I suppose

I would not trade him for Paul

I would not trade him, AT ALL.

I would not trade Rajon Rondo for Green Eggs and Ham, I would NOT trade him, Sam I Am.

Now let's stop the "over-rated"...."moody"..."petulant", lol...comments I've seen about our Rajon Rondo since he's been hurt.

The guy has laid it out there on the line for this team...he is not a perfect player by any means, but - to me - he is UNDOUBTEDLY CELTIC.

Let's just be thankful that the "TEAM" has stepped up in his place, and let's look forward to a HEALTHY Rajon Rondo coming back next year and leading this team.
Agree, agree, agree, TP.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!