Author Topic: Open Carry Detainment Video Going Viral (Portland, Maine)  (Read 11921 times)

Re: Open Carry Detainment Video Going Viral (Portland, Maine)
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2367
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The 3rd Amendment no longer exists?  I realize it's fun to declare victory but I'm hoping you have some kind of tangible basis for that.

I don’t like your comparison. Nobody has used this right in centuries? Are soldiers quartered at your house right now?  If you want to say "Don't use that right, you won't lose it" then just say that. This is apples and oranges. Clearly it is taboo enough to CARRY A HOLSTERED weapon that people are calling the cops and folks like you are vilifying him. Could the people of Maine eventually vote against the open carry right? Of course they could.

It's fine if you don't like the comparison - there are lots of differences between the two rights.  And I appreciate you taking back your first answer.

But the 3rd Amendment is a pretty easy counterexample to the notion that rights that aren't exercised inevitably disappear.  By the same token, there's nothing to indicate that people posting YouTube videos provides some line of defense against abolishing open carry in Maine or anywhere else.  Which is kind of central to whether you see this sort of action as productive or not.

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 814
So since I am "trolling" when I, as mandated by law, expose my M&P40 after crossing over the boarder into NH, what do you guys suggest I do?

From listening to the cop describing the situation it didnt sound like he had it holstered at his waste.  If that's the case I withdraw my complaints.  He is completely entitled to school the cop in that case
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
So since I am "trolling" when I, as mandated by law, expose my MP40 after crossing over the boarder into NH, what do you guys suggest I do?
Don't know, maybe reflect on your need to carry the gun everywhere in the first place?
I keep mine in a locked chest until I check/ clean it in prep for deer season. Then I keep it in a locked case in my truck until I put on my orange vest and head into the woods. Then I keep it unloaded till I'm on site.
I'm not nearly as worried about being mugged or otherwise attacked as I am about the safety of my teacher wife and son when they go to school in the morning in a country where the right to own personal wmd's trumps all.

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »

Online JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1112
So since I am "trolling" when I, as mandated by law, expose my MP40 after crossing over the boarder into NH, what do you guys suggest I do?
Don't know, maybe reflect on your need to carry the gun everywhere in the first place?
I keep mine in a locked chest until I check/ clean it in prep for deer season. Then I keep it in a locked case in my truck until I put on my orange vest and head into the woods. Then I keep it unloaded till I'm on site.
I'm not nearly as worried about being mugged or otherwise attacked as I am about the safety of my teacher wife and son when they go to school in the morning in a country where the right to own personal wmd's trumps all.

So just don't exercise my right within the law to suit your personal preference? Yeah, that sounds about right.

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
Peaceful protest (not even really a protest in this case) and exercising rights is important. If you stop using your rights you lose them. This man wasn’t waving a gun around in a crowd or while running, he was walking with it secure and holstered to his hip in a state where it is perfectly legal. He was not doing anything wrong. A little background, he has been open carrying for five years and was continuously being stopped without reason and finally decided to record it. In doing so, he embarrassed the officer and the Portland Police Department.

This is another case of letter-of-the-law vs common-sense issue. The kid sadly chose letter-of-the-law for such a minor inconvenience by a cop doing his job.

For someone who has been openly carrying for 5 years, he should have handled this much better.

Regardless, parts of the Maine gun laws seem very antiquated. Mainly the part where you don't have to show ur license.

Btw to all you letter-of-the-law folks, in Portland, it is illegal for men to tickle women under the chin with feather dusters.

Mk
Tp for the heads up, I'm afraid I may have run askance of that law a few times. Won't do that again!

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 360

Maybe you'd feel better if your wife had a means to protect herself?

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2367
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
On a related note, it's worth pointing out that an appeals court recently upheld the right to flip off police (warning: article contains pic of "the bird").  Just in case anyone wanted to nurture a little freedom this weekend.

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »

Online JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1112
So since I am "trolling" when I, as mandated by law, expose my M&P40 after crossing over the boarder into NH, what do you guys suggest I do?

From listening to the cop describing the situation it didnt sound like he had it holstered at his waste.  If that's the case I withdraw my complaints.  He is completely entitled to school the cop in that case

Yes, it was absolutely holstered and on his hip when we was detained.

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell

So just don't exercise my right within the law to suit your personal preference? Yeah, that sounds about right.
You do what you gotta do, just don't be surprised when a fellow citizen stops you on the street and gives you an ear full.
You also have the right to stand on a street corner and make wildly insulting comments to passers by. Don't expect a smile in return.
The citizens of my home state of Maine are familiar and comfortable with guns. We recognize that they are tools with a specific purpose not a fashion statement. We generally don't carry them around unless we plan on using them. Just like I don't walk around down town with my 22 oz framing hammer slung from my carhartts as a fashion accessory.

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell

No Frickin way! That is the craziest most absurd line of reasoning I've ever encountered.
I've heard some nutjobs say the same thing on the idiotbox but never actually thought I'd have someone try to pull that craptastic logic on me.

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2291
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If by 'trolling' you mean going about your day normally, eschewing any suspicious behavior, and not frightening civilians, then I suggest you carry on.

If by 'trolling' you mean intentionally drawing attention to yourself in the hopes of catching a policeman's attention so you can give him a hard time, Id suggest you stop doing that and grow up, cuz it isn't all about you.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Expose the gun if that's what the law mandates, but, personally, I would think it was a good idea to not go walking around the streets of Portland with it out in full display with no other reason than to wait for a cop to come up and ask you what the heck you're doing.

I guess it would be your legal right to do so, but lots of things are within someone's legal rights that are just plain obnoxious, discourteous, and ill-mannered.  Sometimes the laws of common sense and decency ought to take over. 

Anyway, that's my advice. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
On a related note, it's worth pointing out that an appeals court recently upheld the right to flip off police (warning: article contains pic of "the bird").  Just in case anyone wanted to nurture a little freedom this weekend.

Mods are kind of like cops....hey IP check your inbox :P

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker

No Frickin way! That is the craziest most absurd line of reasoning I've ever encountered.
I've heard some nutjobs say the same thing on the idiotbox but never actually thought I'd have someone try to pull that craptastic logic on me.

What would you want your wife have as a means of defense then? I'm curious, because guns are not going away, shootings are going to happen no matter what law is passed/ If someone were approaching my wife who was intent on shooting her or doing harm with his own hands, I'd rather she have something other than a box of paperclips or a stapler to at least give her a chance.

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2291
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Mods are kind of like cops....hey IP check your inbox :P

Move along now, nothin to see here.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner