Author Topic: Open Carry Detainment Video Going Viral (Portland, Maine)  (Read 11964 times)

Open Carry Detainment Video Going Viral (Portland, Maine)
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1112
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE

The officer is lucky his sergeant was nearby to stop this illegal detainment otherwise he could have been in a heap of trouble. In order for this officer to conduct a threshold inquiry he would have needed reasonable suspicion that a crime had taken place. Fortunately, carrying a firearm, holstered, on hip, in an open carry state, does not meet the criteria. This video is going viral now, and it is interesting to me how many folks out there are vilifying this young man for knowing the laws and his rights.

This is not Nazi Germany, folks. The "Papers... Let me see your Papers’” stuff doesn’t fly here. We should be proud of this kid.

Re: Open Carry Detainment Video Going Viral (Portland, Maine)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
So much respect for this guy.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2294
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Comparing a policeman earnestly attempting to keep the peace and protect the citizens in his care to Nazi Germany sounds like overkill to me, even if he was in the wrong here.

I think you, or someone has posted this video before. I remember just hating that kid behind the camera with the heat of a thousand suns. It's not a new video..maybe I saw it on Facebook.

Also, how come the kids in these videos are always smug white kids? I wonder if the outrage would be the same if it were a smug black guy in a neighborhood with a history of gang activity being stopped. Or it were a white kid within a block of a school in a trenchcoat.

But apparently doing it in a nice neighborhood in Portland Maine makes you an altruistic activist looking out for your constitutional rights.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I wonder if the outrage would be the same if it were a smug black guy in a neighborhood with a history of gang activity being stopped.

Such a sad situation in our society
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »

Online eja117

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1131
Forgiving the technology differences I doubt too many Jews or gypsies would have walked around in Nazi Germany with a video camera obviously trying to provoke a Nazi so they could put the result on the internet. ....or then again maybe they would have. Millions of people I guess someone might want to do something like that. This also isn't in a vacuum. Not like a major national tragedy didn't juuusssttt happen. The equivalent of going into flight school in NYC on Sept 12, 2001 and asking if you can be taught just to fly and not to land and how close can you get to major buildings and how much fuel does it have and then when the police show up you go "whhhaaatttt? Freedom of speech!"

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
Comparing a policeman earnestly attempting to keep the peace and protect the citizens in his care to Nazi Germany sounds like overkill to me, even if he was in the wrong here.

I think you, or someone has posted this video before. I remember just hating that kid behind the camera with the heat of a thousand suns. It's not a new video..maybe I saw it on Facebook.

Also, how come the kids in these videos are always smug white kids? I wonder if the outrage would be the same if it were a smug black guy in a neighborhood with a history of gang activity being stopped. Or it were a white kid within a block of a school in a trenchcoat.

But apparently doing it in a nice neighborhood in Portland Maine makes you an altruistic activist looking out for your constitutional rights.

A policeman trying to keep peace and protect folks from what? The kid was walking down the street in an open carry state. That is NOT grounds for detainment.  You are reading too into the Nazi Germany comment.

You are thinking of youtube channel “MarkedGuardian” (http://www.youtube.com/user/Markedguardian) who is an open carry protester with a channel dedicated to this endeavor. Not the same video or person.

And to bring RACE into it is appropriate?  To me that’s irrelevant.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

While not necessarily related, I find it oddly coincidental to your point that, a year ago this week, a young black kid took a walk to buy a bag of Skittles and some iced tea, and ended up dead.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »

Online eja117

• Kevin Garnett

A policeman trying to keep peace and protect folks from what? The kid was walking down the street in an open carry state. That is NOT grounds for detainment.  You are reading too into the Nazi Germany comment.

You are thinking of youtube channel “MarkedGuardian” (http://www.youtube.com/user/Markedguardian) who is an open carry protester with a channel dedicated to this endeavor. Not the same video or person.

Waaaiiittt a second JSD. You're the one that brought Nazi Germany and show me your papers into it.  The Nazis are somewhat famous for their racial policies. I think the comparison to racism was actually started by you this time....albeit subtly. 

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

While not necessarily related, I find it oddly coincidental to your point that, a year ago this week, a young black kid took a walk to buy a bag of Skittles and some iced tea, and ended up dead.

Oh here we go ::) Should I just rename the thread now?

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I think that a law should be passed that allows the police to get this guy's ID for identification. Doesn't seem right after I watched it a second time.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Oh here we go ::) Should I just rename the thread now?

No. Why would you?

Someone reminded me (yesterday, I think) that it's been a year since the incident. I was struck by that while reading IP's comments.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

Waaaiiittt a second JSD. You're the one that brought Nazi Germany and show me your papers into it.  The Nazis are somewhat famous for their racial policies. I think the comparison to racism was actually started by you this time....albeit subtly.

The Nazis, at any given moment or whim, could demand identification from anyone. Here we have a strict and rather brilliant set of rules that makes us free. That’s part of what makes this country so great. It is important we preserve those rights.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Jeepers. Why can't he carry a knife or something. lol

Ever heard of some respect in a public environment? ;D Not taking a shower for three years straight doesn't break a law, but it still stinks!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Nazis, at any given moment or whim, could demand identification from anyone. Here we have a strict and rather brilliant set of rules that makes us free. That’s part of what makes this country so great.

Well, then it was a poor choice of a comparison by you, because Nazis asking for papers is so deeply rooted in race. I'd suggest you just admit it so that people can move on with the conversation.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

Online eja117

• Kevin Garnett

The Nazis, at any given moment or whim, could demand identification from anyone. Here we have a strict and rather brilliant set of rules that makes us free. That’s part of what makes this country so great. It is important we preserve those rights.
We have a right to freedom of speech but not to yell fire in a crowded theater, which to me is a lot what he did here, but with a video camera. I'm not saying the cop was wrong. Just that we shouldn't confuse someone trying to get some attention with a patriot or investigative journalist. I have to wonder how many times he tried this before he got what he wanted.