Author Topic: Greg Oden choosing between celtics, heat, and cavs  (Read 13098 times)

Re: Greg Oden choosing between celtics, heat, and cavs
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Here's my sense of the alternate worlds:

(1) Cleveland Cavs. He actually has no interest here, just trying to drum up home town support.

(2) Boston Celtics. He comes here only if he get decent money, so the Cs spend the LLE on him and he is injured in pre-season, and never plays an actual game. Cs fans on celticsblog start numerous threads that Danny should be fired bc Danny wasted the LLE on an injury prone player, but see (3) below...

(3) Miami Heat. He joins the Heat for the vet min, misses 10 games, comes off the bench and averages 8pts, 8 boards, helps the Heat win another championship. Cs fans on celticsblog start numerous threads that Danny should be fired bc Danny should have signed him to the LLE, but see (2) above....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

(1) Cleveland Cavs. He actually has no interest here, just trying to drum up home town support.

He's not from Cleveland though, or even Ohio, he's from Indiana.  His only tie to Cleveland/Ohio is his one season at Ohio State.  Or is there something I'm missing?

And others are saying he'll go to Cleveland for Irving, don't really buy that either.  1) Irving's not at that superstar status yet where he's the guy everyone else wants to play with. 2) Players didn't chose Cleveland when they had LeBron and were a contender, so why would they go there for Irving and a team in the lottery?

Not hating on Irving, but guys didn't sign in NO to play with Chris Paul, or Cleveland for LeBron, nor are they signing to play with Durant in OKC.  So I just don't see the Irving thing (not that players wouldn't love to play with him though).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

He's not from Cleveland though, or even Ohio, he's from Indiana.  His only tie to Cleveland/Ohio is his one season at Ohio State.  Or is there something I'm missing?

That's still a very strong tie for him.  He loves Ohio.

Anyways, I think the Cavs are most likely because it is the least stress.  I'm confused why the narrative by some is that Miami is the least stressful situation when it certainly would be the most, especially from the media.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
I don't want him anywhere near us unless he is on an opposing team.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Why the Celtics? There are two guys on the roster who successfully came back from career threatening heart conditions. KG went through some serious injury issues here and came back stronger as did Rondo as well.

For a guy like Oden there is the chance to play with great players like Lebron or Kyrie but I would argue that his only concern is which club would best facilitate his rehabilitation and that would be the Celtics. There is a reason why Garnett says he wants to retire a Celtic listen to his comments about the organisation.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:45 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
10 more oden threads before he re-injures his knee somehow?

Maybe 15

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:04 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't want him anywhere near us unless he is on an opposing team.

Why?

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He is a pipedream, my money is on the HEAT.  Best chance for a ring that way.

I disagree, I'm not sure if he's ring chasing at the moment and believe he'll go with whoever offers the most money.

His knees are practically unknown now, and if Conley Sr. is smart, he will convince Oden to go where the money is, see if the knees could hold up and worry about getting a ring later.

So the only logical choice, Cleveland.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 03:53:26 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

I disagree, I'm not sure if he's ring chasing at the moment and believe he'll go with whoever offers the most money.

His knees are practically unknown now, and if Conley Sr. is smart, he will convince Oden to go where the money is, see if the knees could hold up and worry about getting a ring later.

My money is on the Heat too...
no need for him to move around a lot to exposed/pressure the knee... let James take over the game and grab some rebounds.... that's what Haslem been doing to the heat ;)
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 05:03:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

My money is on the Heat too...
no need for him to move around a lot to exposed/pressure the knee... let James take over the game and grab some rebounds.... that's what Haslem been doing to the heat ;)

I think Cleveland could offer more, therfore he'll sign with the Cavs. At this point Oden would want to make sure he can make as much money as he can, since he doesnt know how long his money making career would last. Cleveland can offer him the MLE if not more, doubt MIA or BOS would be able to do that.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Does anyone really love Ohio?

I'm kidding.

Kind of.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Wow what's to decide? Sun and sand or an Ice Age returning to Boston or Cleveland which has the least amount of sunlight in the US.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11:34 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Pass

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 08:12:54 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I'm kidding.

Kind of.

hahah aw.

I used to live there.  It's a very nice state with great people.  Night and day compared to Mass.  But yeah there isn't much to do.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm kidding.

Kind of.

hahah aw.

I used to live there.  It's a very nice state with great people.  Night and day compared to Mass.  But yeah there isn't much to do.

Cedar point used to be pretty cool, so was the zoo in Cincinnati. And I used to love seeing the Reds play at Riverfront once or twice a year.