4 (9.5%)
Doc Rivers is a somewhat worse coach than Doug Collins
4 (9.5%)
Doc Rivers is a much worse coach than Doug Collins
2 (4.8%)
Not sure/Don't know
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Poll: Who Is a Better Coach, Doc Rivers or Doug Collins?  (Read 2158 times)

Re: Poll: Who Is a Better Coach, Doc Rivers or Doug Collins?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Doc Rivers.

Doug Collins simply doesn't know how to coach the players of this era.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't mean to be critical but this isn't really the place for a poll like this.

I'll admit that this is a bit of a challenge towards fans here who insist that Doc is a horrible coach who should be fired.  I'm not going to do a poll of Doc vs all 29 other NBA head coaches, but I think it will be a fun idea to whip out, especially when things get slow, but not so often that it gets repetitive.  Anyways, the discussion is more interesting than the numbers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Doug Collins (52% winning %, 23-33 playoffs, 41% playoff winning %, no Finals, one ECF, 4 first round exits out of 7 appearances) to Doc Rivers 56% winning, 54% playoff winning %, 62-53 playoffs, two Finals, one championship, 3 ECF, 4 first round exits out of 9 appearances).   

Doc had the Big 3 late in their careers, Collins had the best player of modern times in the beginning of his career (and the end of his career). I'd say Doc's a much better coach, but I'd also say that Collins is a lot more competent now and I'd like to see what he could do now with top talent. 

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd say Collins is a better "teacher" of the game.  His knowledge of x's and o's is probably better as well.

Doc is a vastly superior motivator and people person.

Depends on what a team needs as to who is the better coach for the situation.  However, at the end of the day, the coach who is better equipped to lead elite talent to a title (Doc), is more valuable, thus better overall.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 01:10:04 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So are you saying that if you had to rebuild, if you could,  you would hire Collins, then fire him and replace him with Doc once the team was decent?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference