Author Topic: Patriots Offseason Moves  (Read 8373 times)

Re: Patriots Offseason Moves
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I really hope they resign Talib.. The guy made a very clear and obvious difference and it was no coincidence that in the AFC championship Joe Flacco started going off once Talib pulled up with a bad hamstring.

Glad it looks like we'll keep Welker. He was not worth the numbers being tossed around last season but the new rumored numbers seem very fair. Also, I would like to see Lloyd restructure his contract as he is still very useful IMO

Brandon Lloyd's contract is 1.9 for this year. I doubt he's going to restructure, its pretty cheap for a guy who caught 74 catches. He's not the deep threat we thought he was but his contract is cheap. the problem the patriots have with it is he will be getting a 3 mil option bonus starting march 16th

Ohh thanks for that. I wasn't sure of the numbers but I'd hate to see him go

No problem. Next year his contract is 2.9.
But from what i am reading, it doesn't look like Lloyd will be back, rumors were saying that Brandon Lloyd's "erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field" bothered the Patriots last season.  And other was Per beat writer Tom Curran, Lloyd isn't even listed on the organization's projected 2013 depth chart.

Who knows but we should know soon if he is kept past march 16 he will prob stay

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I really hope they resign Talib.. The guy made a very clear and obvious difference and it was no coincidence that in the AFC championship Joe Flacco started going off once Talib pulled up with a bad hamstring.

Glad it looks like we'll keep Welker. He was not worth the numbers being tossed around last season but the new rumored numbers seem very fair. Also, I would like to see Lloyd restructure his contract as he is still very useful IMO

Brandon Lloyd's contract is 1.9 for this year. I doubt he's going to restructure, its pretty cheap for a guy who caught 74 catches. He's not the deep threat we thought he was but his contract is cheap. the problem the patriots have with it is he will be getting a 3 mil option bonus starting march 16th

I guess we will know soon enough on Lloyd. He's expensive, but thing not to overlook is that he is one of the few WR FAs that have worked out for the Pats in recent years. For whatever reason, it's been hard to find WRs for Brady.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

But from what i am reading, it doesn't look like Lloyd will be back, rumors were saying that Brandon Lloyd's "erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field" bothered the Patriots last season.  And other was Per beat writer Tom Curran, Lloyd isn't even listed on the organization's projected 2013 depth chart.

My understanding is the pats would free up $2M by cutting him.
http://www.patscap.com/
I think it's likely he gets cut, but I don't think it has anything to do w the cooked up lockeroom stories.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 01:28:11 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
A source close to Wes Welker told Yahoo Sports that the free agent has "somewhat mild disdain" for the Patriots after OC Josh McDaniels used him sparingly in last year's season opener.

Per Cole, "that bit of tweaking stuck in Welker's craw all season," and "there's a little bit of paranoia in the Welker camp" about his role if he re-signs with New England.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 04:30:05 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

I think it's likely he gets cut, but I don't think it has anything to do w the cooked up lockeroom stories.
The only reason I don't see him getting cut is because we would have to replace him and with the revolving door of WRs we've seen not work out with Brady the last few years, I just don't see us making that move on a guy who was fairly productive and with another year to build chemistry will probably be at least a bit better if not a lot better.

If the Pats do cut him they have to have someone set up to take his place. So unless they are working on a deal for Mike Wallace or a pre-draft trade with the Vikings for Percy Harvin, I don't know how we can replace him with someone better at a similar cost.

McDaniels is a big fan of Lloyd and I think that means a lot to Bill. I don't mind cutting him, but only if you are going to be bringing in a top of the line guy. Keep in mind he was playing hurt for a big part of the season and with Gronk and Hernandez having shaky health the last 2 seasons, a guy who you can plug into your lineup week in and week out is even more valuable than his numbers say he is.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
A source close to Wes Welker told Yahoo Sports that the free agent has "somewhat mild disdain" for the Patriots after OC Josh McDaniels used him sparingly in last year's season opener.

Per Cole, "that bit of tweaking stuck in Welker's craw all season," and "there's a little bit of paranoia in the Welker camp" about his role if he re-signs with New England.

Similar to the Lloyd-Lockeroom stuff, I just don't put much stock in this. I think the professional sports media has incentives to take very small, minor things, and blow them out of proportion.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14

The only reason I don't see him getting cut is because we would have to replace him and with the revolving door of WRs we've seen not work out with Brady the last few years, I just don't see us making that move on a guy who was fairly productive and with another year to build chemistry will probably be at least a bit better if not a lot better.

If the Pats do cut him they have to have someone set up to take his place. So unless they are working on a deal for Mike Wallace or a pre-draft trade with the Vikings for Percy Harvin, I don't know how we can replace him with someone better at a similar cost.

McDaniels is a big fan of Lloyd and I think that means a lot to Bill. I don't mind cutting him, but only if you are going to be bringing in a top of the line guy. Keep in mind he was playing hurt for a big part of the season and with Gronk and Hernandez having shaky health the last 2 seasons, a guy who you can plug into your lineup week in and week out is even more valuable than his numbers say he is.
nah llyod was pretty crappy lAST YEAR.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

nah llyod was pretty crappy lAST YEAR.
I think he was a good soldier, but paid too much for what he does/did. I credit him for not grousing to the press about being targeted more, and for doing a nice job blocking when called upon to do so. Contrast that to Randy Moss who seemed pretty allergic to blocking...
There's no question he'd be back if playing for a min contract, but the amount of money he eats up on the cap is too great, IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.