Author Topic: Celtics' Young Assets - 2 questions  (Read 3883 times)

Re: Celtics' Young Assets - 2 questions
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think AB and/or Sully can be the center of a package for an all star.

Just depends on what kind of star you are looking for. Kevin Garnetts are once in a lifetime talent. Stars aligned for that and I dont think Al Jefferson was good return for that as pretty much everyone outside of boston would say we stole him (kind of like LA and Pau).

Al jeff for KG was ultimate no brainer. Al jeff for Amare not so much.

Will we get a once in a generation talent for AB/Sully and have the stars again? Its a no brainer if so otherwise you are stuck with second tier stars and need to decide from there.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
As a head coach, McHale can't hand him a successful franchise this time around. Relying on Ainge's aptitude, therefore, we stand to suck for a long time (i.e. till he's fired).
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As a head coach, McHale can't hand him a successful franchise this time around. Relying on Ainge's aptitude, therefore, we stand to suck for a long time (i.e. till he's fired).

McHale didn't land us Ray Allen, and it was that deal that brought the KG one into fruition in the first place. Also, I've yet to hear of a team that offered a better package than ours, also, it took a lot of balls by Ainge to do it regardless of how "no brainer" the trade looks now because back then, it was anything but that.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Ainge lacks an Al Jefferson type player who another team can be fooled into thinking they can build around him.

Rondo's probably the closest thing but is also much more valuable now then Jefferson was at that juncture in 2007.  Plus, I just really don't want to move Rondo for the majority of the trade suggestions that were floated out there at the deadline  Think he's a great complementary part of a rebuild.

The thing that has me on the fence at the moment is how deep we're in our guard rotation for the next couple of years, if we can net a [dang] good player who has size, I just don't see how one pass up the opportunity. I'm in win now mode, and it's just what makes the most sense to me. That said, it doesn't mean that there aren't avenues one can explore.

Terry + Lee + Bass have a lot of movable salary, which can net us someone who fits in a lesser type of deal.

Don't know, we'll see.

Aside from Rondo we have a lot of depth at guard but all the players are average(ish) or worse.

You can say the same thing about any position in our roster, and I think average(ish) or worse is underselling it a bit. It's a talented and skillful group, and [dang] good defensively.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
We better try to snag another good rookie with this year's 1st round pick (16 to 20 - highest pick since long ago)and develop the young guys until KG/PP/Jet retire.

Then, either suck enough to get a lottery pick (this might require trading Rondo) and/or use cap space for trades, absorbing bad contracts and getting lottery picks in the process. This way you don't need to completely suck, and you can get a piece to build, or combine 2 lottery picks to trade up and get a star. It's not very likely that anyone gives you a superstar in his prime for young prospects.

Avoid the Pistons route to use the cap space and everything will fall into place. We just need to be patient, though, and enjoy this team while it's still playing

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Just depends on what kind of star you are looking for. Kevin Garnetts are once in a lifetime talent. Stars aligned for that and I dont think Al Jefferson was good return for that as pretty much everyone outside of boston would say we stole him (kind of like LA and Pau).

Will we get a once in a generation talent for AB/Sully and have the stars again? Its a no brainer if so otherwise you are stuck with second tier stars and need to decide from there.

May have been the ultimate no-brainer for Danny, but for a lot of Celtics fans and plenty of media members that deal was not a smash hit.  Big Al was very young and very popular.  Garnett was over 30.  Lots of folks complained.  Luckily Danny was courageous enough to trade "the future" for what turned out to be a much better future.....

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Ainge lacks an Al Jefferson type player who another team can be fooled into thinking they can build around him.

Rondo's probably the closest thing but is also much more valuable now then Jefferson was at that juncture in 2007.  Plus, I just really don't want to move Rondo for the majority of the trade suggestions that were floated out there at the deadline  Think he's a great complementary part of a rebuild.

The thing that has me on the fence at the moment is how deep we're in our guard rotation for the next couple of years, if we can net a [dang] good player who has size, I just don't see how one pass up the opportunity. I'm in win now mode, and it's just what makes the most sense to me. That said, it doesn't mean that there aren't avenues one can explore.

Terry + Lee + Bass have a lot of movable salary, which can net us someone who fits in a lesser type of deal.

Don't know, we'll see.

Aside from Rondo we have a lot of depth at guard but all the players are average(ish) or worse.

You can say the same thing about any position in our roster, and I think average(ish) or worse is underselling it a bit. It's a talented and skillful group, and [dang] good defensively.

We've got 3 players that are well above average in Rondo and PP and KG. Lee and Bradley are good defenders but they aren't above average at scoring, passing or ball handling. Decent overall but below average on offense.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

May have been the ultimate no-brainer for Danny, but for a lot of Celtics fans and plenty of media members that deal was not a smash hit.  Big Al was very young and very popular.  Garnett was over 30.  Lots of folks complained.  Luckily Danny was courageous enough to trade "the future" for what turned out to be a much better future.....

Yes, history has shown quite clearly that the Garnett deal was a steal.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 12:50:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, history has shown quite clearly that the Garnett deal was a steal.

It's pretty rare that teams trade players like KG and get fair value in return. We were probably the only team offering a young big like Jefferson, who was putting up 23/11 for the wolves when he was injured. I think his injury took quite a bit out of their return.