Author Topic: Simple Question: Is Doc a great coach?  (Read 12485 times)

Re: Simple Question: Is Doc a great coach?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Great?  No.

He's a good coach for a veteran team, though.

This. But has some very bad habits, and a lot of head scratching moments to go along with perceived favorites.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think doc is great with a veteran team and good with a younger/rebuilding team.  so overall, i say "very good"

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
NO
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think very good is fair.  His people skills are fantastic and he seems like a genuinely very good guy.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I like doc but absolutely not...Tom thibodeau was more important then him in our finals years...he's simply overrated..a decent  veteran player coach...I think 80% of the  leagues coaches could have done with this team what he's accomplished and better

THIS ^

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
To use Doc's word, he's a 'terrific' big picture guy... player relations, player management, recruiting, etc. Not to be dismissed out of hand.

I think there's a tendency to call him a bad Xs and Os coach, when in truth i'd say inconsistent would be a better way to describe him.

i don't have the big issue with his rotation or sub patterns like others.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I think very good is fair.  His people skills are fantastic and he seems like a genuinely very good guy.

And this is why he's widely accepted as "the best coach in the game"...he's friendly, and the media loves him....in reality kg could be a player/coach and we'd lose nothing

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

And this is why he's widely accepted as "the best coach in the game"...he's friendly, and the media loves him....in reality kg could be a player/coach and we'd lose nothing
He's widely accepted as the "best coach in the NBA" because he's probably the greatest personnel manager among active coaches in the NBA right now. Or in other words, his teams play hard and he seems to always be able to get the best out of his players. This has nothing to do with the media.

And he's, well, stable (remeber Obie resigning over trading, ahem, Tony Battie and Eric Williams?)

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
No. Maybe in the top dozen coaches in the league at the moment which makes him above average but not great by any stretch.  I expect he goes back to television in a few years. 

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

He's widely accepted as the "best coach in the NBA" because he's probably the greatest personnel manager among active coaches in the NBA right now. Or in other words, his teams play hard and he seems to always be able to get the best out of his players. This has nothing to do with the media.

And he's, well, stable (remeber Obie resigning over trading, ahem, Tony Battie and Eric Williams?)

I disagree adamantly that he gets the best out of his players...his relationship with kg has meant everything...kg gets the best out of his teammates, they play hard for kg as much as they do doc, and kg has been loyal to him as he is with moSt things. When we made the finals it was Tom thibodeaus defense...really little to do with doc, although the egregious 7 game series against inferior competition should be credited to him.
Who debates and states propaganda about "best coach in the game" People in the media...there's not a better interview or coach in the game when it comes to media.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Let me see how the team plays when Rondo comes back then I will decide.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
When we made the finals it was Tom thibodeaus defense...really little to do with doc, although the egregious 7 game series against inferior competition should be credited to him.
Of course, as we've established already, when we win everyone but Doc is great, when we lose, it's all Doc's fault.

::)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Obviously it goes beyond that though. I don't know if I saw all of any single game on the recent road trip but I saw a lot of wild, undisciplined offense, ill-advised shots and poor shot clock usage from the other things. If nothing else makes people appreciate Doc watching other teams play should.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think almost nobody would put Doc as a better coach than Popovich at the very least.  Pop's #1 and everyone else is fighting for 2nd.

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure I'd throw out the adjective "great" but Doc is a very good coach and probably the best player coach out there without letting the inmates run the asylum.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team