Author Topic: Williams signed for ROY / 2014  (Read 5464 times)

Re: Williams signed for ROY / 2014
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Conditionally?  What's the condition?

Does Woj mean non-guaranteed, or is there some sort of vesting option?

I'd think non-guaranteed deal for next season -- 'we sign you to more time, you give us options.'

As for what he's showed on the court in his time here, I don't think it's really a big factor. The Cs knew what he can do as a basketball player, it's his attitude they wanted to vet during his 10 day....

Yeah, that's what it sounds like--and not a bad deal for the C's.  Williams at least talks like he's learned from his past mistakes; Crawford sounds like he's still in unenlightened punk mode.

How's that?   Because he is cocky. Confident?  Or do you have a quote you would like to cite?
Crawford says things to motivate himself.  The Jordan thing.... That's silly. But read the context.
Like to hear more.  Think he is worth barbosa and Collins all day. Even with the Ricky Davis Swag!,

Because he hasn't taken ownership of or responsibility for the reasons that his previous NBA employers weren't happy with him.  Williams has come out and said that he needed to grow up and did.  Crawford doesn't acknowledge that there have been any problems with his performance on other teams.

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
A good low risk/high potential reward.  He'll get a full training camp to work with the team next year.  He has the talent now let's see what he can do working with the team and not haivng the pressure of having to impress the rest of the year...

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd like to see him pair with Avery Bradley more because it allows Bradley to pressure the ball but not have to take it up the court on offense.

It's hard to tell what TWill we'll get because he will eithe severely outplay this contract or he'll end up like the others (Wafer, Pavlovic, etc). I'm betting he'll outplay it but that is based solely on my own bias and not from what I've seen. I may be old but I can tell a ballet when I see one.

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
As I've speculated, this has the potential to be a big move by Ainge, particularly if he pans out. It means that we'll have plenty of expendable guards next summer, some who can be used in a sign-and-trade with the assumption that a free-agent wants to play in Boston (I've speculated Al Jefferson and Josh Smith coming to mind).

Very quietly Ainge has been building a portfolio full of young assets, and talented ones at that.

It's not about if he pans out.  He likely won't.  Assuming that the Celtics end up signing White and Randolph to similar non-guaranteed deals, which hopefully don't have to be guaranteed until after the free agency period, they will all serve as great trade ballast for a sign-and-trade.

Suppose Big Al wants to come back to Boston.  Bass, Sullinger, and the trio of Williams, White, and Randolph can bring back a little north of $13 million.  At the same time, since these are non-guaranteed deals, Utah is only on the hook for $7.8 million, plus any bonus payments to the three (probably not much, so totaling around $8 million.)  That's a lot cheaper than requiring them to take on one of the more expensive guards and Bass, which lessens the additional draft compensation that they would need, and/or that would make the deal altogether unfeasible.

Same is also true for Josh Smith, although we'd probably have to sub in Jeff Green for Bass, or add in Jordan Crawford's expiring contract, unless he wants to play in Boston badly enough to take a $12k pay cut from his current salary.

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 05:19:18 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
As I've speculated, this has the potential to be a big move by Ainge, particularly if he pans out. It means that we'll have plenty of expendable guards next summer, some who can be used in a sign-and-trade with the assumption that a free-agent wants to play in Boston (I've speculated Al Jefferson and Josh Smith coming to mind).

Very quietly Ainge has been building a portfolio full of young assets, and talented ones at that.

I like the flexibility this gives Ainge but I would be quite happy to have this guy stick around long term.