Author Topic: Giannis Adetokunbo- High potential stash and draft  (Read 13641 times)

Giannis Adetokunbo- High potential stash and draft
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Giannis-Adetokunbo-4090/

Rebuilding in the NBA is a daunting concept. We Celtic fans have suffered through decades of dire straits so our top priority should be setting this team up for success in few years time. And the best way to do this is to maximize each draft pick from here on out.

Which brings us to 18 year old Giannis Adetokunbo my choice for the Celtics pick in this year's draft. A late bloomer out of Greece, Adetokunbo has.the unique phyiscal tools(6'9, 7'3 wingspan)and coordination to potentially be an all star once he matures.

Capable of playing multiple positions due to his versatile skill set, Adetokunbo projects to the three but may still be growing and possesses massive hands allowing him to make high level Rondo esque passes and finishes.

Should he conitinue to develop we could be looking at a Nicola Mirotic like situation where we could have a rotation player join up right when we should be hopefully in a postion to possibly contend. Like Mirotic,  Adetokunbo is signing a 4 year contract in the Spanish ACB League but has NBA out clauses in each of the contracts years. According to his agent he plans to most likely declare for this year's draft and stay in if the situation is right.

My ideal scenario would involve Pierce and Garnett retiring at the end of the season, drafting Adetokunbo in 2013, find our way to the 2014 lottery and be in a position to draft someone like a Julius Randle or Dakari Johnson. Fill out the roster with some free agent signings and have a seasoned Adetokunbo join up to throw out a young roster lead by the evil genius himself, Rondo.

Big things have small beginnings, this could be the greatest draft and stash candidate since Tiago Splitter.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:42:19 PM by Soul Jax »

Re: Giannis Adetokunbo- High potential stash and draft
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:25:31 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
never heard of him, all mocks have him undrafted. I do like your idea of moving up in the 2014 draft. that draft is going to be loaded. Go for one of the harrison twins or dakari johnson like you said. Andrew Wiggins and probably jabari parker will be out of reach.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I've looked into some clips on YouTube. The kid seems active on both ends.

I like the idea of draft and stash as well. Let him develop slowly yet surely.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:07:57 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I haven`t seen the kid play (he plays for a second division Greek team but Saragosa has bought his rights)

But i remember reading that Austin Ainge was in Greece about a month ago taking a look at him

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Wereally can't afford a stash and draft folks.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:53:38 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
He's too tall for Doc.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I cant even pronounce his name!!   :-[
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:16:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Given our current draft position, there are several US players I'd like more.  But if we could come up with a late first or early second, I wouldn't mind drafting and stashing.  I've been a fan of that strategy for years.  Why draft a player who takes 2-3 years to develop, and who's out of his rookie deal by the time he does?  I'd much rather that player develop on somebody else's dime, so that when his rookie deal clock starts, he's ready to step in immediately.  And if he never develops, you're only out the draft pick, and not the roster spot or wasted salary.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:33:45 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nevermind. Sorry, answer is above.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
He has a very sympathetic back story and looks very intriguing on video, as much as you can in clips in the second-division level of Greek Basketball. 

With his size, handle, ability to go coast and coast and passing skills, maybe he looks like Lamar Odom.  On the other hand, Al Farouq Aminu is also 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan and can go coast to coast with the dribble as well.  He's not much of a passer though.  Thankfully Giannis doesn't shoot ridiculous moon balls like Aminu does.  Aminu must have practiced shooting on 12 foot rims growing up.

I can't imagine he'll go higher than the late first at best unless he can attend the Hoops Summit and Eurobasket camp and dominates. 

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Don't agree, assuming we're starting to rebuild come this summer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It depends on whether we're talking first or second round.

In the first, Danny has found great value late a number of times.  In the second, it's less likely that we find a rotation-level player, so using that pick on a Euro stash makes sense to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
never heard of him, all mocks have him undrafted. I do like your idea of moving up in the 2014 draft. that draft is going to be loaded. Go for one of the harrison twins or dakari johnson like you said. Andrew Wiggins and probably jabari parker will be out of reach.

Aye, I don't see us ending up with the top pick as long as we have Rondo. But there should be talent in the 7 to 9 range. If Mitch McGary can work on his conditioning I think he could have a break out year once Burke, Robinson III and Hardaway Jr declare. He might be a bit redundant with Sulley but I think he jumps a good deal higher and could play center.

Also if Steven Adams stays at Georgetown he might be a nice center. Manual Ram on realgm seems to think he's God's gift. Tough > 7 foot New Zealander who grew up around gangs and is still learning the game. 2 years around the G Town school of being a dominant big man could do him propel him into the mid lottery.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:51:22 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

In the first, Danny has found great value late a number of times.  In the second, it's less likely that we find a rotation-level player, so using that pick on a Euro stash makes sense to me.

Depends a little on where the Cs pick, but assuming it's in the late teens or early twenties, I would probably take the best talent available in a draft this soft -- no matter how far off their contributions may be.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Eh, even in the first round, I think we can afford it.  This team needs talent and assets.  If it takes a couple years to develop, so be it.  But if they are going to rebuild or reload, it is going to be through getting the most valuable talent possible, and sometimes that means taking a chance on a guy who might be in Europe for a year or two.