Author Topic: Giannis Adetokunbo- High potential stash and draft  (Read 13656 times)

Re: Giannis Adetokunbo- High potential stash and draft
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
never heard of him, all mocks have him undrafted. I do like your idea of moving up in the 2014 draft. that draft is going to be loaded. Go for one of the harrison twins or dakari johnson like you said. Andrew Wiggins and probably jabari parker will be out of reach.

Aye, I don't see us ending up with the top pick as long as we have Rondo. But there should be talent in the 7 to 9 range. If Mitch McGary can work on his conditioning I think he could have a break out year once Burke, Robinson III and Hardaway Jr declare. He might be a bit redundant with Sulley but I think he jumps a good deal higher and could play center.

Also if Steven Adams stays at Georgetown he might be a nice center. Manual Ram on realgm seems to think he's God's gift. Tough > 7 foot New Zealander who grew up around gangs and is still learning the game. 2 years around the G Town school of being a dominant big man could do him propel him into the mid lottery.

It's not too relevant but Adams plays for Pitt not Georgetown. 

I saw a few of his games before he got to Pitt and thought he would show enough flashes of potential dominance to be a lottery pick.  He's still definitely a first round selection but he looks too far away and not quite athletically promising enough to go in the lottery this year.  I'm not sure whether it's because he's bulked up but he has very little lift, one of those guys whose max vertical is in the high 20s at best. He kind of looks like Meyers Leonard with less hops. 

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
never heard of him, all mocks have him undrafted. I do like your idea of moving up in the 2014 draft. that draft is going to be loaded. Go for one of the harrison twins or dakari johnson like you said. Andrew Wiggins and probably jabari parker will be out of reach.

Aye, I don't see us ending up with the top pick as long as we have Rondo. But there should be talent in the 7 to 9 range. If Mitch McGary can work on his conditioning I think he could have a break out year once Burke, Robinson III and Hardaway Jr declare. He might be a bit redundant with Sulley but I think he jumps a good deal higher and could play center.

Also if Steven Adams stays at Georgetown he might be a nice center. Manual Ram on realgm seems to think he's God's gift. Tough > 7 foot New Zealander who grew up around gangs and is still learning the game. 2 years around the G Town school of being a dominant big man could do him propel him into the mid lottery.

It's not too relevant but Adams plays for Pitt not Georgetown. 

I saw a few of his games before he got to Pitt and thought he would show enough flashes of potential dominance to be a lottery pick.  He's still definitely a first round selection but he looks too far away and not quite athletically promising enough to go in the lottery this year.  I'm not sure whether it's because he's bulked up but he has very little lift, one of those guys whose max vertical is in the high 20s at best. He kind of looks like Meyers Leonard with less hops.

My mistaked I'd say the coaching dropoff from Georgetown to Pitt would definitely be relevant. I can see the Leonard perspective, actually both come from similar backgrounds although being worlds apart.  Adams seems to at least try to put his back to the basket a bit more, but as you said he has nowhere near the athleticism of Leonard.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Danny has never been a Euro-shash guy. As far as I can remember, Erden was his only try at it. We all know how that turned out.

It seems that Danny prefers to use his second rounders on 3d & 4th year college players. He's had mixed results there, but did land 3 solid NBA players, E'Twaun, BBD, and Gomes.

IMO, there is far more upside in Euro-stash players than in 3d/4th year college players.

This is complete hindsight. However, what if since the 07/08 Championship, instead of using second round draft picks on the Gabe Pruitts and Lester Hudsons of the world, the Celtic stock piled Euro players. Perhaps one or two of the them would be ready to put the green on or just be completing their rookie season.

The future would look a little brighter if the Cs had Shved, De Colo, Mirotic, Singler, etc... walking through that door.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He's too tall for Doc.
The knee-jerk is getting kind of tired.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Danny has never been a Euro-shash guy. As far as I can remember, Erden was his only try at it. We all know how that turned out.

It seems that Danny prefers to use his second rounders on 3d & 4th year college players. He's had mixed results there, but did land 3 solid NBA players, E'Twaun, BBD, and Gomes.

IMO, there is far more upside in Euro-stash players than in 3d/4th year college players.

This is complete hindsight. However, what if since the 07/08 Championship, instead of using second round draft picks on the Gabe Pruitts and Lester Hudsons of the world, the Celtic stock piled Euro players. Perhaps one or two of the them would be ready to put the green on or just be completing their rookie season.

The future would look a little brighter if the Cs had Shved, De Colo, Mirotic, Singler, etc... walking through that door.

Mk

I like the Euro Stash philosophy as well but besides the 2008 draft, the Celtics weren't really in position to draft Euro stash candidates.  De Colo and Mirotic both went before the Celtics picked.  Shved could've been taken but he went undrafted, if I recall because he was adamant about not being drafted as well as there being questions about his play.  Singler wasn't an Euro player, although he ended up like a Euro stash player but I'm not too beaten up about losing out on him.  The Celtics have actually drafted too low in the second round to pick any viable Euro Stash candidates.  Hudson was the 58th pick, Harangody the 52th, they didn't have a second round pick in 2009--looking at the picks after them, there weren't any who got away.

Still, the 2008 draft burns because they could've taken Pekovic or Asik or even DeAndre Jordan instead of Giddens.  I think the reason was because few thought the window for contention was going to be long.  I think most gave them 2 years, maybe 3.  I think Ainge thought he had to look for someone who could provide immediate help before the window closed. 

In 2007, they could've taken Marc Gasol but Gasol was pushing 300 pounds at the time and didn't look like a future NBA player at all.  It was just a very astute selection by the Lakers. 

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Mk

I like the Euro Stash philosophy as well but besides the 2008 draft, the Celtics weren't really in position to draft Euro stash candidates.  De Colo and Mirotic both went before the Celtics picked.  Shved could've been taken but he went undrafted, if I recall because he was adamant about not being drafted as well as there being questions about his play.  Singler wasn't an Euro player, although he ended up like a Euro stash player but I'm not too beaten up about losing out on him.  The Celtics have actually drafted too low in the second round to pick any viable Euro Stash candidates.  Hudson was the 58th pick, Harangody the 52th, they didn't have a second round pick in 2009--looking at the picks after them, there weren't any who got away.

Still, the 2008 draft burns because they could've taken Pekovic or Asik or even DeAndre Jordan instead of Giddens.  I think the reason was because few thought the window for contention was going to be long.  I think most gave them 2 years, maybe 3.  I think Ainge thought he had to look for someone who could provide immediate help before the window closed. 

In 2007, they could've taken Marc Gasol but Gasol was pushing 300 pounds at the time and didn't look like a future NBA player at all.  It was just a very astute selection by the Lakers.

It's true that many of the those players were not available when the Cs selected. However, it's more to the point of having a solid Euro-stash plan, e.g. scouting, drafting, player development, and such. For example, perhaps if Danny and his Euro scouts really liked Pek or De Colo, the Cs could have moved up to draft either of them.

I understand Danny adding players for immediate help, but it's also his job to plan for the future.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
To those who mentioned Steven Adams, he has serious athletic skills in addition to his size. He has a serious vertical for example. The issue is that he is very raw and is largely just a shot blocker at this stage of his career. I do expect him to play in the NBA for a long time when he finally comes out. 

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
To those who mentioned Steven Adams, he has serious athletic skills in addition to his size. He has a serious vertical for example. The issue is that he is very raw and is largely just a shot blocker at this stage of his career. I do expect him to play in the NBA for a long time when he finally comes out.

NO MORE FABs.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Celts seem to be more open to giving Garnett, the Duncan treatment. Here's hoping that we can learn something from The Spurs drafting philosophy as well.

Another possible candidate for this philosophy would be Lucas Noriega. I just feel like that guy has first defensive big off the bench written all over him.

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

NO MORE FABs.

He may actually give more cringeworthy interviews than Fab. I do definitely wonder if he cares enough to max out his potential, but it could also just be something being lost in translation culturally. 

His interviews seem strait out of Flight of the Concordes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnBC1pocAos

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Really intriguing prospect. Here is draft express scouting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km632hL-XCo

Also, Austin Ainge went to Greece to watch him practice. http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/01/dunks/18141

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

NO MORE FABs.

He may actually give more cringeworthy interviews than Fab. I do definitely wonder if he cares enough to max out his potential, but it could also just be something being lost in translation culturally. 

His interviews seem strait out of Flight of the Concordes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnBC1pocAos

Wow! Him and Rondo would make for some epic post game pressers. That is if Rondo doesn't smack him first

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Really intriguing prospect. Here is draft express scouting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km632hL-XCo

Also, Austin Ainge went to Greece to watch him practice. http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/01/dunks/18141

Tp for the link to the Ainge story. I really think this guy could be on our radar. I'd chalk it at high risk, higher reward.

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
apparently Presti has gone on a euro trip to scout Giannis, Gobert and Saric. OKC would be a team that has zero issues to draft and stash.

This kid looks like he has some serious capabilities. From the youtube clip he definitely looks like a Durant but without as good shot but better defensive skills.

Certainly a guy Danny would drool over.  Anyways if OKC takes a chance and picks him with the 10-12 pick, than that is also better for us, since another good option will drop to our lap.

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
apparently Presti has gone on a euro trip to scout Giannis, Gobert and Saric. OKC would be a team that has zero issues to draft and stash.

This kid looks like he has some serious capabilities. From the youtube clip he definitely looks like a Durant but without as good shot but better defensive skills.

Certainly a guy Danny would drool over.  Anyways if OKC takes a chance and picks him with the 10-12 pick, than that is also better for us, since another good option will drop to our lap.

Ya that would be nice, if OKC decides not to go big and draft Adetokunbo, then one of Len, Olynyk, Caulie Stein or Plumlee could potential slide into our draft spot.

Also if OKC goes for the giant Frenchman route, Thabeet, Perkins, Gobert, Ibaka and Durant might just go down as the longest front court of all time.