Author Topic: Source: Garnett To Clippers Trade Was 'Closer To Happening Than People Think' -  (Read 11211 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
A possible trade sending Kevin Garnett from the Boston Celtics to the Los Angeles Clippers for Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan was "closer to happening than people think," according to an NBA source.

Garnett, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, repeatedly stated in the weeks leading up last Thursday's trade deadline that he wants to retire as a Celtic.

Chris Paul reportedly asked Garnett if he wanted to come to the Clippers and that he had the power to make it happen.
Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226395/Source-Garnett-To-Clippers-Trade-Was-Closer-To-Happening-Than-People-Think

hm maybe the clips will ask again at the draft, after they get booted in the second round.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
What do "people think"?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that the Celtics and Clippers could have worked something out, but the only way that KG was waiving his no trade clause was if the Captain was shipped out of town, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
already covered in the front page of this site ryt?
http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/2/22/4017060/kevin-garnett-essentially-blocked-the-clippers-trade

i still think our playoff run this year will dictate whether KG or PP will go to other teams or stay or even retire
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
i still think our playoff run this year will dictate whether KG or PP will go to other teams or stay or even retire

And KG/PP will dictate our playoff run this year.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/2/22/4017060/kevin-garnett-essentially-blocked-the-clippers-trade

I don't know that that's the case, as they should be better next year with Rondo and Sully.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't know that that's the case, as they should be better next year with Rondo and Sully.

I seem to be only one of the few that expects our team to be even better next year. People forget, but most of the elite teams are above the apron, the Celtics are not, and should have the full MLE at their disposal once again. Not only that, we can do sign-and-trades while those other teams won't be able to because of the new rules in the CBA. The potential for this team to improve, considering that all our top players 1-9 are already under contract, should be exciting to some. At least it's to me. There are health concerns for certain, but from a pure roster perspective, we're in a great bargaining power position compared to most of our competitors.

Over the apron teams (some are close, but they should be over the apron, or too close to it):

Miami
New York
Brooklyn
Chicago
Philly (maybe, depending on what they do with Bynum)
Denver
Golden State
LA Lakers
Portland
Oklahoma (depending on what they do with Kevin Martin, will they amnesty Perk, not sure if that's an option for them at the moment)
LA Clippers (not sure, but they have a lot of free-agents they need to take care off, some of whom will be commanding Max Contract)

That's about it I think, not sure if I misstated any or omitted any, but you get the idea.

And remember there are limited moves one can do as a tax payer, and that is either you use MLE or receive a player via sign-and-trade. You can't do both, and if you're over the apron, you only have the mini-MLE at your disposal (as far as I can see).

For a team that has their top 1-9 players and an additional 2 for 11 total already under contract, and projected to be enough under the apron to have full MLE or do a sign-and-trade, it's a very good place to be.

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Clippers ownership blocked the trade and rightly so. This was a non-trade that benefitted both teams to not do.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Clippers ownership blocked the trade and rightly so. This was a non-trade that benefitted both teams to not do.

are you sure about this? did they publicly admit it

I believe more on the speculation KG said no. If KG comes to the clippers, they have a better chance to win it all plus paul having his request listened to, signs an extension over the summer.  Remember Paul might still jet over the summer

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think the Clippers blew whatever chance they had of winning it all this year by not closing a deal for KG.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
the only way that KG was waiving his no trade clause was if the Captain was shipped out of town, too.

This sums it up pretty well.

And we all know how well Pierce would have accepted any trade.  By refusing to report, essentially killing any deal.

Pierce and KG never had any chance of being traded, simply because they didn't want to be.  Why people thought this wouldn't be the case escapes me.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I seem to be only one of the few that expects our team to be even better next year. People forget, but most of the elite teams are above the apron, the Celtics are not, and should have the full MLE at their disposal once again. Not only that, we can do sign-and-trades while those other teams won't be able to because of the new rules in the CBA. The potential for this team to improve, considering that all our top players 1-9 are already under contract, should be exciting to some. At least it's to me. There are health concerns for certain, but from a pure roster perspective, we're in a great bargaining power position compared to most of our competitors.

Over the apron teams (some are close, but they should be over the apron, or too close to it):

Miami
New York
Brooklyn
Chicago
Philly (maybe, depending on what they do with Bynum)
Denver
Golden State
LA Lakers
Portland
Oklahoma (depending on what they do with Kevin Martin, will they amnesty Perk, not sure if that's an option for them at the moment)
LA Clippers (not sure, but they have a lot of free-agents they need to take care off, some of whom will be commanding Max Contract)

That's about it I think, not sure if I misstated any or omitted any, but you get the idea.

And remember there are limited moves one can do as a tax payer, and that is either you use MLE or receive a player via sign-and-trade. You can't do both, and if you're over the apron, you only have the mini-MLE at your disposal (as far as I can see).

For a team that has their top 1-9 players and an additional 2 for 11 total already under contract, and projected to be enough under the apron to have full MLE or do a sign-and-trade, it's a very good place to be.

Gotta tip my hand to that post, I still haven't fully assimilated the new cba.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
the only way that KG was waiving his no trade clause was if the Captain was shipped out of town, too.

This sums it up pretty well.

And we all know how well Pierce would have accepted any trade.  By refusing to report, essentially killing any deal.

Pierce and KG never had any chance of being traded, simply because they didn't want to be.  Why people thought this wouldn't be the case escapes me.

Pierce is under contract. He can't just not show up without facing consequences in the form of major fines. A Pierce trade didn't happen because Danny didn't find the value he was looking for, It's that simple.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ainge's willingness to give Garnett (and Allen) a no trade clause could long be a blemish on his resume considering his quotes in year's past about Red's mistakes.

It certainly will be talked about in the press for many years to come, especially if Bledsoe goes on to a pretty successful career.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
if it was that close it woulda happened
nuthin was goin down
jus chit chat