Author Topic: My ever-so-clever strategy  (Read 9804 times)

My ever-so-clever strategy
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Well, I was booorreed so don't blame me!

So, sometimes I see players go for a tough layup or something, but they miss. Then they land on the floor (which takes time to get up from). By the time they get back on defense (where the team was playing 4-on-5), the play is already over, or he's too late to do anything.

Other times, a big guy who can't run fast will be the last guy to fall back (they're slow). By the time he gets back, the other team has converted a fast-break opportunity or something (other team has numbers).

Soo, my genius plan is:

Why don't we just leave the guy there? For example, a team like us (who had a great defense these past few years), can just play 4-on-5 on defense. The other team might shoot over 50%, but I see that as very unlikely. If one of our players just stood under the opponents' basket after he fell, or if he was a slow runner, or if he was just tired, just keep him there.

Then, it's likely we can force the opponent to miss some shots, and then snag a rebound. Throw it down the court, and we get the two easiest points ever. The guy there saved some energy, and can run back now to set the defense for the next play. Worst case scenario, both teams score, and it's the same score as before.

Maybe the opponent will also keep a guy back there now, to defend your guy. Then you can run back on D to create a 5-on-4, which is even better. Or, you can stay there and it's 4-on-4 and you can try to beat them up. If you get a tall guy to stay on offense, then they'll have to send a tall guy back to block a pass that might come to you.

That would be intriguing, eh? Very ridiculous, but I don't like when players just run back after the play is already over, it just wastes their energy and doesn't mean much. Plus, if we did this, we'd score points very easily by getting a rebound and passing it ASAP.

The real question though, is can we keep a team to <50% shooting while playing 4-on-5 defense? These past few years, I would have thought so.

LOL discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxKOwckfURc
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:25:33 PM by CelticConcourse »
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: My ever-so-clever strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
One really fast guy can steal at least 1/3 of those long passes. 

Pressuring the inbounder making it harder to get a clean throw gives the defense time to get back. 

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
It is easier to hit the long bomb when someone sneaks out. 

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This isn't a pick-up game at the park.

Cherry-picking in the NBA will get you killed on defense.  Players of this caliber, with offensive structer, will score almost evry time.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Players of this caliber, with offensive structer, will score almost evry time.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But when they DO miss, we can just pass it and get easy points. Even Fab Melo could camp out by the opponent's basket ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah, that's what I thought. But when they DO miss, we can just pass it and get easy points. Even Fab Melo could camp out by the opponent's basket ;D

There is going to be at least someone leaking back on defense on every shot why the other teams big men crash the offensive boards hard with only one defensive big. 

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This isn't biddy ball.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

There is going to be at least someone leaking back on defense on every shot why the other teams big men crash the offensive boards hard with only one defensive big.

What if we hypothetically played our big lineup (Lee, Pierce, Green, Wilcox, KG)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
This worked really well in a college bball video game with Kenny George, lol. Of coarse every player could throw pin point 90 foot passes but don't worrrrrrrrrrrry about it.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Cherrypicking works once in a blue moon at the NBA level and the opposing team would get way too many easy baskets.  It'd be a horrible strategy to employ.  Besides, how many of those long passes would get picked?  I'm guessing a fair share.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This worked really well in a college bball video game with Kenny George, lol. Of coarse every player could throw pin point 90 foot passes but don't worrrrrrrrrrrry about it.

Well then you know it has to work in real life.  You know the catch phrase "if it is in the game, it is in the game!"

That works both way, right?  (I hope so or my dreams of being a 7'7 C as fast as AI in his prime is really going to be crushed)

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Is this what you do when you play 2k?
Cherry picking all day.

Real Basketball ain't a video game kid.

This ain't no YMCA pick up basketball either.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Well then you know it has to work in real life.  You know the catch phrase "if it is in the game, it is in the game!"

That works both way, right?  (I hope so or my dreams of being a 7'7 C as fast as AI in his prime is really going to be crushed)

Haha!!!

I remember back when I used to actually play video games, I once created a player in NBA Live that was pretty much identical.  I had numerous 100 pt games (I think I once scored 150 pts), needless to say.  Got bored after a while with it though.  Too easy.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Somewhere on the other side of the continent Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is reading this thread and smiling fondly.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I could see this leading to offside violations and players being forced to throw the ball inbounds with their arms over their heads and two feet on the ground.
Yup