Author Topic: Watching the Red Claws vs Iowa Energy replay now: another Fab Melo monster night  (Read 15083 times)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Game starts at 16:00. There is an interview with their head coach (I believe?) at about 9:00 minutes. He says Fab Melo will be evaluated against certain goals (apparently some to do with conditioning) and could very well get called up once he reaches them.

Did everybody miss this from the OP? I'd love to see Fab come down and play some spot minutes here and their through rough parts of the schedule. I don't think he could be no worse than Collins
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
basically he needs to learn everything SULLY already knows.

The thing is, there are 10 year veterans in the league who don't know half of what Sully knows.  Would you say Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum have even half the basketball IQ Sully has?  I don't think so, but they are still top 5 centers in the NBA.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Fab's IQ to ever get on Sully's level, but then it ever has to be.

This just made me wonder what you would get if you put Sully's IQ in Dwight Howard's body.

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
basically he needs to learn everything SULLY already knows.

The thing is, there are 10 year veterans in the league who don't know half of what Sully knows.  Would you say Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum have even half the basketball IQ Sully has?  I don't think so, but they are still top 5 centers in the NBA.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Fab's IQ to ever get on Sully's level, but then it ever has to be.

This just made me wonder what you would get if you put Sully's IQ in Dwight Howard's body.

Kareem with a roid rage.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Melo didn't have a good a game as he's been having, but he still put up a double-double last night in about 32 minutes. He was in the red on +/- because the Red Claws bench dominated. His line for the night:

13 points on 5/11 shooting, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks, 2 turnovers, and 5 fouls

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Just my opinion but I think we should call him up soon and give him some playing time with the big dogs.  I'd hate to see him go out in a trade before we see how he if he fits here.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just my opinion but I think we should call him up soon and give him some playing time with the big dogs.  I'd hate to see him go out in a trade before we see how he if he fits here.
Agree..lik to see how he do...cant be no worse than Collins.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Actually, I think he could be worse in terms of knowing where to clog up things on D.   Collins is a phantom on the stat sheet but he knows how to play team D.  This will come for Melo who he is a better help defender right now.  He needs to get strong however.

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
After seeing him in person last night, I'd say he needs to work on his conditioning and his rebounding positioning. I was surprised he had as many rebounds as he did. He could have had a lot more. He is definitely a shot blocker. He rotated well on defense, but will need to be quicker at it to make it on the Celtics. His elbow jumper is better than I thought, and his form on the hook shot looks promising. Based on this one game alone, which is stupid to do, I'd say he he will become a rich man's Steamer.   If he can improve his strength and defense, he could be a faster, taller, Perkins with better offense and shot blocking ability. I really hope he is a gym rat who will work hard on his strength and conditioning.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
+1 and thanks to the OP for the detailed account of the Claws game.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I rather he gets playing time and experience than getting DNP's at the big leagues. Let him develop at Maine
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Melo didn't have a good a game as he's been having, but he still put up a double-double last night in about 32 minutes. He was in the red on +/- because the Red Claws bench dominated. His line for the night:

13 points on 5/11 shooting, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks, 2 turnovers, and 5 fouls
That last foul was really dumb, though. He really wants to help on defense to the point of leaving his man open under the basket. This left Boone open for shots he shouldn't have had. Fab got back to bother him most of the time, but not always. On offence he made a couple of jumpers, one bank shot, and several dunks and put backs. He also made a couple of nice interior passes... and one *bad* outlet pass. I thought he looked gassed several times, but after a short rest came back strong. Fab set pick after pick and rolled on each one, but only got one pass out of it. Oh! He ran the floor well and if the PG had been having a good game would have gotten a few more dunks in transition, too.