Author Topic: Paul Pierce a nobody, says Alec Burks (Jazz #10)  (Read 11705 times)

Paul Pierce a nobody, says Alec Burks (Jazz #10)
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
http://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/game-57-jazz-vs-celtics-well-at-least-half-the-arena-went-home-happy/

** Burks, asked what it’s like to be playing against a star (Paul Pierce) having a great night: He’s nobody to me, you know? He made some shots. Everybody make shots, you know? It’s just he got a bigger name than everybody else.

I didn't even know who Alec Burks was and I watched the game last night.

Re: Paul Pierce a nobody, says Alec Burks (Jazz #10)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
TP for putting Alec Burks' team and # in the title so we'll know who he is  :D

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
work on those cliches, kid.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
U MAD BRO?

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
TP for putting Alec Burks' team and # in the title so we'll know who he is  :D

I had to google him. I didn't even notice him in the game.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Some Jazz fans are complimenting Burks for his comments, saying they show confidence and swagger.

I say it makes him look like an idiot who doesn't respect those who have come before him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Some Jazz fans are complimenting Burks for his comments, saying they show confidence and swagger.

I say it makes him look like an idiot who doesn't respect those who have come before him.

I agree. Real recognizes Real. Burks ain't Real. Haha

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I personally LOVE that kind of attitude from players.

I don't want young players (at least on my team) in awe of the stars they're playing against that they grew up watching and emulating.  I want them to go out there, and act like going against another nobody at the park, and try to kill them.

I don't care who I am facing, they're nobody to me.  I can take them.  They're not better than me.  I can beat anybody.

That's the kind of attitude I like.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:50:02 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28

I don't want young players (at least on my team) in awe of the stars they're playing against that they grew up watching and emulating.  I want them to go out there, and act like going against another nobody at the park, and try to kill them.

I don't care who I am facing, they're nobody to me.  I can take them.  They're not better than me.  I can beat anybody.

I agree with you on what type of attitude I would want my players to have, but there is no need to say it, especially following a loss. Now it just makes him look bad

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He didn't say he was a nobody, he said he was a nobody to him.  There is a very big difference in those statements.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I gotta say I like it too, though not when it's directed at our guys.

I saw an interview with Mark Jackson awhile back where he said (paraphrased) "When I came into the league I honestly thought I was better than Magic, Isiah, Stockton, and all the other great PGs.  I was dead wrong and had absolutely no right to think it but it was a huge benefit for me because it gave me the confidence to succeed at what I was capable of." 

Irrational overconfidence is a much better quality in young players than being down on themselves, provided they don't take it too far.  Jason Terry's a classic example of someone whose overconfidence helped him excel.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
He didn't say he was a nobody, he said he was a nobody to him.  There is a very big difference in those statements.

Plus the question asked of him was asked "what it’s like to be playing against a star (Paul Pierce) having a great night."  Should it feel any different playing against a star vs a scrub?  Obviously not the most tactful answer, but I'm not hating on it.  Not like he went on twitter and just bashed Pierce, he was asked a question.

Dude's played 100 games, and 1600 minutes in the NBA.  He's played against probably all the stars already.  That's the kind of question you ask rookies in October/November.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't have a problem with it.  Pierce for years convinced himself he was the best player in the league.  He probably still thinks that, actually.  It's part of the reason he's able to still play as well as he does at his age.  You have to have confidence when playing basketball.  Even playing pick-up ball... if you're the type of guy who thinks every shot you take will be a miss... you'll find you miss a lot.  If you think every shot you take will go in... you'll find you make a lot.  There's no place for doubt in that sport. 

I've personally found that the lower my self esteem.. the worse I happened to play basketball.  When I felt amazing about myself, I dominated.  There's definitely a mental aspect.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not really a big deal.

I'd rather there be a level of competition in the NBA instead of players on opposing teams treating each other to manicures and massages after the game.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
The next time that moron carries a team at the end of the game and into OT (like PP did)maybe he can let us all know here at CB. don't hold your breath though.
LET'S GO CELTICS!