Author Topic: Things That Might've Been: We Apparently Were After Marcus Morris?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Markieff Morris joined KTAR in Phoenix with Bickley and MJ to discuss how cool it is that his twin brother, Marcus, is on the Suns roster with him, how his brother will fit in on the Suns team, how they’ll make each other better, the state of the Suns and where his game is at right now.

When did you first learn that your team was pursuing your brother (Marcus Morris)?:

“I was on the bus riding to … the Golden State game and Jared Dudley was like, ‘They’re talking about trading your brother.’ So I was just calling him to see how he felt about it. And he said it was between ya’ll and Boston.”

Hm. Well, I can't say I'm happy about missing out on Morris. All it ended up costing was a second rounder, and there isn't a very good chance that a second rounder would be better than Morris, a former lottery pick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Things That Might've Been: We Apparently Were After Marcus Morris?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Saved Houston more money to get send Morris to the Suns. But yeah that'd have been nice.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Rats. Would have been a nice young addition at a position of majah need...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not going to cry too much over that spilt milk.  I think it's cool that the Morris twins get to play together.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, it would have been a nice addition.  I can see why Houston would take Phoenix's offer, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm not going to cry too much over that spilt milk.  I think it's cool that the Morris twins get to play together.

But another puzzling Phoenix move. I likes Bill Simmons joke.... they have no one that's worth watching play basketball, so they figured the next best attraction might be... TWINS!

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Markieff is the better twin anyways.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Coulda had Morris
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Did the Celtics nearly land forward Marcus Morris at the trade deadline?

Initial reports indicated that Houston was debating two trade options for the second-year forward, the 14th overall pick in the 2011 draft. Morris ended up going to Phoenix -- reunited with twin brother, Markieff -- in exchange for a 2013 second-round draft pick.

The other team? Markieff Morris intimated on Phoenix sports radio KTAR that Boston was the other team in play. Courtesy of SportsRadioInteriews.com:
Q: When did you first learn that your team was pursuing your brother?

Markieff Morris: "I was on the bus riding to … the Golden State game and Jared Dudley was like, ‘They’re talking about trading your brother.’ So I was just calling him to see how he felt about it. And he said it was between [Phoenix] and Boston."

Morris is a 6-foot-9 forward who could have helped replenish Boston's depleted frontcourt depth. In 73 career appearances, he's averaged 7.1 points and 3.3 rebounds over 17.9 minutes per game.

On the surface, the decision between the two potential deals seems like a no-brainer for Houston. Phoenix is dead last in the Western Conference and their second-round pick this season will likely be in the early 30s. Boston doesn't own a second-round pick in this year's draft -- it traded it to Portland as part of a three-way deal with Houston to acquire Courtney Lee this summer -- which means the Rockets would have had to wait to collect a future second-rounder (Boston has two second-round picks in 2014, its own and another from Brooklyn).

Boston could have made a stronger push by offering a future first-round pick, but that's risky. Plus, it's unclear if hard-capped, apron-pushing Boston could have taken on Morris' $1.9 million salary without sending something back to Houston (whose payroll is already clogged with bought-out Boston castoffs like E'Twaun Moore and JaJuan Johnson).

Ironically, Morris made his Phoenix debut against Boston on Friday night, scoring seven points over 6˝ minutes in the Celtics' lopsided triumph.

Size-craving Boston has clearly not been fond of what's available on the free-agent market and might have missed out on a chance to add a recent lottery pick at a low cost. Instead, Boston has turned its attention to free-agent bodies, including D.J. White, who is expected to (finally) ink a 10-day contract later this week once his clearance issues are resolved after playing in China at the start of the season.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said in Phoenix that Boston desires to add another big body with an available roster spot.

In other potential near-miss news, our friends at CelticsHub point out that German big man Tim Ohlbrecht signed with -- who else? -- the Rockets on Tuesday. European hoops site Sportando reported last week that Ohlbrecht turned down a 10-day contract offer from Boston and it appears he was simply waiting for the security of a rest-of-the-season deal that the Rockets extended.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey is doing his old friends in Boston no favors this month.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonceltics&id=4702756

Bummer.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm convinced Forsberg noticed this because of me. I am one news-breaking sonofabiscuit.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
He ain't nothing. Rather keep picks and sign a ten day.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14