Author Topic: Brandon Bass Should Be A Bench Warmer Not A Starter  (Read 3651 times)

Re: Brandon Bass Should Be A Bench Warmer Not A Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
One thing Bass certainly shouldn't be - playing at the same time as Jeff Green.  From Grantland's excellent Zach Lowe

The Brandon Bass–Jeff Green Pairing

This just hasn't worked well, regardless of whether Boston pairs these two in big lineups or small ones. Boston's opponents have outscored the Celtics by nearly 15 points per 100 possessions in the 500 minutes these two had shared entering Monday's game. Boston's overall scoring margin was exactly even going into that game, and no other two-man combination that had logged at least 200 minutes had a worse differential than -6.1 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com.

Why in the world has Doc played them 500 minutes if they're so god-awful together? I know the Cs are shorthanded with their bigs, but Doc has to do a better job mixing and matching. 

Unless Doc enjoys seeing the other team convert easy putbacks keep these guys apart at all costs. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:29:50 PM by TripleOT »

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
One thing Bass certainly shouldn't be - playing at the same time as Jeff Green.  From Grantland's excellent Zach Lowe

Code: [Select]

This just hasn't worked well, regardless of whether Boston pairs these two in big lineups or small ones. Boston's opponents have outscored the Celtics by nearly 15 points per 100 possessions in the 500 minutes these two had shared entering Monday's game. Boston's overall scoring margin was exactly even going into that game, and no other two-man combination that had logged at least 200 minutes had a worse differential than -6.1 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com.

Why in the world has Doc played them 500 minutes if they're so god-awful together? I know the Cs are shorthanded with their bigs, but Doc has to do a better job mixing and matching. 

Unless Doc enjoys seeing the other team convert easy putbacks keep these guys apart at all costs.

nt sure he has much of a choice
i do like CW with JG more tho.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
At least he's not Glen Davis or Seth MacFarlane.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I really think Jeff Green should be starting at PF and getting 35 minutes minimum.  He adds a lot more than Bass can.  Green is definitely not a PF, but he's definitely our 3rd best player... and our 3rd best player should be starting.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Code: [Select]

nt sure he has much of a choice
i do like CW with JG more tho.

Agreed on the choice.  And I would also add that I think Jeff has been a pretty great defender this year and I think much more of that should go on Bass.  I think KG hides how poorly Bass has played on his own on defense this year.  I feel it's been a clear regression from last year, just from the eye test.

Wilcox isn't a good defender from the C position himself... so yeah the lineups just aren't perfect.  We are giving something up with basically any big man pairing and we have no good backup C options (as far as defense/rebounding).

Lowe says he should do a better job mixing and matching... well who?  And in what combos?  There is no answer. So instead of blaming Doc he should say "they have no options right now" but of course that would require thought vs just criticism.

I'm hopeful White can be, if almost certainly not a defender, a rebounder and garbage scorer for us in the rotation.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:53:51 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford