Author Topic: TWill getting the Darko treatment!  (Read 15679 times)

Re: TWill getting the Darko treatment!
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
In fairness to Doc, we are currently battling for a playoff spot

This is not the time of year to be "experimenting."

I am not saying Williams isn't talented but let's not forget he didn't play a single NBA game this year before the Celtics signed him.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In fairness to Doc, we are currently battling for a playoff spot

This is not the time of year to be "experimenting."

I am not saying Williams isn't talented but let's not forget he didn't play a single NBA game this year before the Celtics signed him.
One (home) game over the next 7 days -- I guarantee you that with this much practice time, we may be seeing more of the new guns in the near future.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I have no problem with benching Terrence, but I just wished it didn't coincide with a game in which we could've used his length to guard some of Utah's wing players.

This is how you use your end of bench tools. No need to play them consistent minutes, nor need to play them in all the games, but if there's a match-up where this tool can help you, I don't see much of a reasoning about not using it. Particularly when you used Crawford for a bit in the 1st half, in a moment where it served no purpose for us.

Re: Doc VS T-Will (open letter to doc)
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Dear Doc,

Why not play the Terrence 5 minutes like you did with Crawford?

Williams has a history of having attitude issues. Why bruise his ego more, Doc?

He played 2 good games out of 3.
And he's automatically in the Dog house.

I just don't get your coaching style anymore. It sure worked for the Big 3 when they first got here.

But you've got a new team now, athletic and younger.

And with that comes more risks. Take the risk, Doc, it will only help us out in the long run, an athletic and high energy pair of Williams and Crawford should be given more minutes.

They have been waiting to play for an organizations like the Celtics all their lives, and now that they are here, you cut them off.

Why would you choose Terry to guard a 6'9 Hayward?

Aren't coaches supposed to adapt to whats happening to the game?

There was little to no adjustments made tonight.

Avery Bradley begged you to keep him in the game while he and Lee were on a run, plus, he was one of the best players tonight.

Whats up with that?

Why do you choose to keep your vets happy, and give them more minutes, then you come out to the media and say that resting is more important right now.

Why play the vets excessively when you've got younger guys that are full of energy.

Sure they are inexperienced, but how else can they get experience? You need to play them more.

Why not call more plays for Jeff Green?
Why do you choose Bass over him?

Sure, Green did not play well tonight, but how can he play well if you are taking him out every time he heats up.

Welp, I might be over-reacting a little bit.

That's the end of my rant.

Green played 28 minutes. Green was in at the end of regulation and the end of overtime. Green had a sucky game last night and it had nothing to do with Doc yanking him out of the game.

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Dear Doc,

I just don't get your coaching style anymore. It sure worked for the Big 3 when they first got here.

And with that comes more risks. Take the risk, Doc, it will only help us out in the long run, an athletic and high energy pair of Williams and Crawford should be given more minutes.

They have been waiting to play for an organizations like the Celtics all their lives, and now that they are here, you cut them off.

Avery Bradley begged you to keep him in the game while he and Lee were on a run, plus, he was one of the best players tonight.

Whats up with that?

Why do you choose to keep your vets happy, and give them more minutes, then you come out to the media and say that resting is more important right now.

Why play the vets excessively when you've got younger guys that are full of energy.

Sure they are inexperienced, but how else can they get experience? You need to play them more.

Sure, Green did not play well tonight, but how can he play well if you are taking him out every time he heats up.

Green played 28 minutes. Green was in at the end of regulation and the end of overtime. Green had a sucky game last night and it had nothing to do with Doc yanking him out of the game.

I don't understand everyone calling to play Green yesterday, he as awful on both sides of the floor. Bass overall didn't have a bad game, but he was simply overmatched against Utah's front court, so was scratching my head at everyone wanting more Green, particularly as a PF, against Utah with the kind of game he was having.

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Dear Doc,

Whats up with that?

I don't understand everyone calling to play Green yesterday, he as awful on both sides of the floor. Bass overall didn't have a bad game, but he was simply overmatched against Utah's front court, so was scratching my head at everyone wanting more Green, particularly as a PF, against Utah with the kind of game he was having.
i felt as though the open letter was just listing things randomly or as theye come up throughout the season. not just specifically about yesterday.
Jeff did have a really bad game and I was saying that throughout.
I'm not ready to write him off yet.

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I have no problem with benching Terrence, but I just wished it didn't coincide with a game in which we could've used his length to guard some of Utah's wing players.
So who are you subbing him in for, then? Pierce? Bradley, who was having a great game? Lee, who is virtually the same size?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As far as I am concerned, Doc did his job, he won the game.

Who cares if T Will gets minutes? Do you want wins or do you want players on 10 day contracts that have a history of not listening to coaches and doing what they are supposed to do to get minutes?

Absolutely, stupid, ridiculous, pathetic attempt to take a shot a Doc because he isn't doing what you want, IMHO. He's coaching the exact way any good coach would coach. You give the guy a chance and if he messes up and costs you a chance at a win, you sit him and chalk it up to a learning experience.

I swear this blog must be populated by an awful lot of frustrated former bench players for their high school teams who take out their frustration with their former coach not seeing their talent and suddenly transfer those feelings to Doc because he isn't giving some scrub minutes.

T Will played poorly. He was messing up. He's on a ten day contract for a team fighting for their playoff positioning. Every coach in the league would have done the same thing Doc did. They would have benched him.

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
So who are you subbing him in for, then? Pierce? Bradley, who was having a great game? Lee, who is virtually the same size?

Exactly.

I swear people don't even look at options and alternatives when criticizing Doc's subs.  Like "Don't play Wilcox at C!" when we have no other options right now.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I don't like overplaying Bradley and Lee in part because I think their defensive energy suffers a bit. Not that they start playing bad defense, but that full court pressure that makes them special for our team becomes non-existent.

As mentioned, Doc played Crawford for a bit, I would've sat him in favor of Terrence.

Doc also stayed with Jason Terry for a long stretch, particularly in the 1st half.

Green sucked last night, so that could've been an alternative.

But if the idea behind yesterday's gameplan was shorten the rotation, then he shouldn't have played Crawford, and if anything, he should've put Williams instead of him.

I would've been more comfortable with Doc's reasoning if he didn't play Crawford at all, and then my option would've been to extend Lee's minutes a bit to keep on Hayward, and if needed extend Bradley's minutes a bit on Hayward too despite the size he gives up, his speed and lateral quickness served a better purpose than what Green and Pierce were doing.

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Will he even get another 10 day contract? 

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Exactly.

I swear people don't even look at options and alternatives when criticizing Doc's subs.  Like "Don't play Wilcox at C!" when we have no other options right now.

Ding ding ding!  It's a pretty good rule of thumb that the more vehemently someone complains about playing/not playing some guy, the less they've thought about the context of the move.  Add in a healthy splash of "grass is always greener" for the guys who don't play much, too. 

There are exceptions of course, but that's how it usually plays out.

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Exactly.

I'm more like "Don't play Bass at C!".

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Exactly.

Ding ding ding!  It's a pretty good rule of thumb that the more vehemently someone complains about playing/not playing some guy, the less they've thought about the context of the move.  Add in a healthy splash of "grass is always greener" for the guys who don't play much, too. 

And what actual context have I missed? I'm pretty sure I've covered everything in my thought process.

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Exactly.

And what actual context have I missed? I'm pretty sure I've covered everything in my thought process.
The fact that what Doc did didn't cost the team the game. He won the game and taught T Will a lesson, do what you are supposed to do or your chances of getting another 10 day contract are not good. I don't see the problem.